Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: [40d] Unconventional weapon training causes dwarf to be uncontrollable  (Read 663 times)

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So, I was doing some shenanigans and was making a dwarf use a bow since I had some left over by using Dwarf Manager.  Now that he's officially a bowdwarf, he doesn't appear in the military menus so I can't enable him for combat instead of just archery range shooting.  I also can't do anything via his preferences.  He's like permanently off duty and permanently recruited.  It's odd, and resembles the 'nobility that aren't part of your race' bug.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 08:05:06 pm by Taritus »

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: [40d] Bow Dwarf
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 06:32:00 pm »

After a bit of experimenting he ended up coming back under my control after I used Dwarf Companion and Dwarf Manager to make him a swordsdwarf.  Only then however.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Yeahhh, as far as I can tell dwarf mode jobs and the possible weapon types are hard coded, sort of. You can take jobs away, but you can't add any that aren't in dwarf mode by default.
!!&!!

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

So I'm stuck with never being able to use my artifact bow even if I train a legendary bowdwarf.  Damn.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Never used Dwarf Manager, but, if you change them to a swordsdwarf, put them on duty, then change them to a bowdwarf, do they stay on duty, could you do the same thing in reverse to have them train?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, the problem is, they have to train up to swordsdwarf, which makes putting them back on duty take even longer every time.  Once they gain higher skill in being a swordsdwarf, yes, I regain full control over them.  When they're bowdwarves though, they act almost like nobles.

EDIT: After messing around with Dwarf Companions changeProfession, I've discovered that I can change the bowdwarf into a recruit and regain control of him.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 03:29:35 pm by Taritus »

Random832

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Well, the problem is, they have to train up to swordsdwarf, which makes putting them back on duty take even longer every time.  Once they gain higher skill in being a swordsdwarf, yes, I regain full control over them.  When they're bowdwarves though, they act like elves.

Perfect explanation for this behavior.