Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Dungeon Master and Vermin  (Read 988 times)

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
Dungeon Master and Vermin
« on: April 16, 2009, 03:47:27 pm »

My dungeon master keeps wandering around my fortress catching and releasing vermin... is this normal?

Either way, what should I do with all these vermin?  I'm considering either testing my drowning pit, or modding the game to let me train them into war animals....
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

Teferi

• Bay Watcher
  • Planeswalker
    • View Profile
Re: Dungeon Master and Vermin
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 03:51:32 pm »

keep them. your dwarves will eat them
I think it'd be better to just throw him in a pit.
By pit I mean "ledge designated as pit some 30 levels above the ground water magma" and that would,as they say be the end of that.
Unless a sword/axedwarf gets to 'em.. then it's rhesus pieces...

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 03:52:31 pm »

Vermin don't drown or burn, and can't be trained. They're an entirely different class of creature from the ones that show up in the units list; about all you can do with them is catch them, tame them, eat them, and extract things from them.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 04:01:49 pm »

Vermin don't drown or burn, and can't be trained. They're an entirely different class of creature from the ones that show up in the units list; about all you can do with them is catch them, tame them, eat them, and extract things from them.

Oh well, thanks.

Can they still be eaten after being tamed?
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 04:05:59 pm »

If you have tamed vermin, mark them for being adoptable.

Dwarves who like that particular kind of vermin will pick up the vermin as a pet. However instead of following them around and eating up CPU cycles, they will instead carry the pet in their inventory.

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 06:32:59 pm »

If you have tamed vermin, mark them for being adoptable.

Dwarves who like that particular kind of vermin will pick up the vermin as a pet. However instead of following them around and eating up CPU cycles, they will instead carry the pet in their inventory.

Awesome, thanks!

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 07:05:03 pm »

Don't tame a lot of vermin. You'll only ever get a few dwarves who adopt them, so you'll have pages and pages on your animal screen of tame lizards, rats, and roaches.

And tame vermin can't be used for extraction jobs, like fire snakes, I think, and maybe one or two others.

Best just to catch them, forbid the useful ones, and let your dwarves eat the others.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 07:20:22 pm »

modding the game to let me train them into war animals....

OH GOD THEY HAVE WAR SQUIRRELS!!!

This needs to be implemented. :)

MatrexsVigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 07:58:48 pm »

I've made tamable squirrels that aren't vermin.  They pretty much act like cats (but don't have the vermin catcher tag but that's easily implimented).  Just put them under your other domestic creatures, and you'll be able to embark with them.  Add in the [trainable] if you want hunting/war squirrels (just remember they deal damage like cats).

[CREATURE:SQUIRREL]
   [NAME:squirrel:squirrels:squirrel]
   [TILE:133][COLOR:6:0:0]
   [PETVALUE:20]
   [CARNIVORE][NATURAL][PET]
   [LARGE_ROAMING]
   [COMMON_DOMESTIC][BENIGN]
   [PREFSTRING:tails]
   [BODY:QUADRUPED:TAIL:2EYES:2EARS:NOSE:2LUNGS:HEART:GUTS:ORGANS:THROAT:NECK:SPINE:BRAIN:CAT_MOUTH]
   [BODYGLOSS:PAW]
   [SIZE:3]
   [MAXAGE:10:20]
   [ATTACK:MAIN:BYTYPE:MOUTH:bite:bites:1:6:GORE][ATTACKFLAG_CANLATCH]
   [CHILD:1][CHILDNAME:squirrel pup:squirrel puppies]
   [FAT:1]
   [DIURNAL]
   [STANDARD_FLESH]
   [HOMEOTHERM:10070]
   [LAYERING:100]
   [SWIMS_INNATE][SWIM_SPEED:2500]
   [MUNDANE]

-P.C.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 08:02:48 pm »

I've made tamable squirrels that aren't vermin.  They pretty much act like cats (but don't have the vermin catcher tag but that's easily implimented).  Just put them under your other domestic creatures, and you'll be able to embark with them.  Add in the [trainable] if you want hunting/war squirrels (just remember they deal damage like cats).

Code: [Select]
[CREATURE:SQUIRREL]
[NAME:squirrel:squirrels:squirrel]
[TILE:133][COLOR:6:0:0]
[PETVALUE:20]
[NATURAL][PET]
[LARGE_ROAMING]
[COMMON_DOMESTIC][BENIGN]
[PREFSTRING:bushy tails]
[BODY:QUADRUPED:TAIL:2EYES:2EARS:NOSE:2LUNGS:HEART:GUTS:ORGANS:THROAT:NECK:SPINE:BRAIN:CAT_MOUTH]
[BODYGLOSS:PAW]
[SIZE:2]
[MAXAGE:10:20]
[ATTACK:MAIN:BYTYPE:MOUTH:bite:bites:1:6:GORE][ATTACKFLAG_CANLATCH]
[CHILD:1][CHILDNAME:squirreling:squirrel puppies]
[FAT:1]
[DIURNAL]
[STANDARD_FLESH]
[HOMEOTHERM:10070]
[LAYERING:100]
[SWIMS_INNATE][SWIM_SPEED:2500]
[MUNDANE]

-P.C.
Would this not work better?
Considering squirrels are not carnivores. Did I do something wrong?
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned