Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Bones and Shells Disappearing  (Read 1291 times)

pokute

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Bones and Shells Disappearing
« on: April 16, 2009, 01:04:57 pm »

I've recently constructed a macabre tower to store all my bones, shells, skulls, and coffins.  To my surprise, once I began using it, my bones and shells started vanishing at an alarming rate.

At first, I thought I might have had some bone craft jobs running, but after confirming this is not the case, I watched the bone stockpiles carefully.  It turns out my bones and shells were vanishing right off their respective stockpiles. 

The tiles themselves are marked as Inside Light Above Ground.

I have since solved the problem by moving the stockpiles below ground.

But my question is, are there other items that also disappear while above ground, even in a stockpile?  Or is this a behavior peculiar to refuse items?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 01:07:40 pm by pokute »
If history wasn't written by the victors, humanity's failures would be self-evident.

Elvang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Bones and Shells Disappearing
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 01:17:23 pm »

I believe it applies just to refuse items.
The Practicalities of Fire Imp Defense
Tileset fonts for dfterm/telnet
Win 0.34.11 SDL with 7 binary patched bugfixes
Quote from: They Dig
I have come here to drink booze and breach HFS... and I'm all out of booze.

pokute

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 01:35:46 pm »

Has anyone built a storage tower like this and haven't had stuff disappear?
If history wasn't written by the victors, humanity's failures would be self-evident.

Logical2u

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 01:45:52 pm »

Refuse automagically disintegrates, I believe it's only when it's in the light/outside (since indoor storage piles work seem to be permanent...)
It's not your tower being glitchy - I usually put refuse piles outside at the start of a fortress' life so as to ensure it will never be completely full. If anything it's the fact that it's a construction outside being wonky more than a bug with the tower in general. (Like how roofing over grassy plains still counts as "outside").
This account is defunct - please contact me through other means.

pokute

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 02:02:05 pm »

Oh well, guess I'll just put shit up there and see if it disappears.

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 02:45:26 pm »

Once the sun touches a tile it's permanently flagged as 'light' even if you construct a new ceiling above it. The game is sort of finnicky about the inside\outside\light\dark tags. For example, bridges and floors built over an open-air room will not prevent refuse from rotting away and they will suppress misama generation, but dwarves who stand under them will become cave adapted as if they were indoors.

Refuse and food are the only things that will miasma and eventually disappear outside. Bones and shells skip the miasma stage obviously, and vanish after a while. It seems to take a dwarfmonth or so for each stage (rotting, rotting down to bones, bones disappearing). The DF wiki probably has detailed information on all of the above. http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net gogogo!
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

IceShade

• Bay Watcher
  • YOUR HEAD ENGSMSPLODE
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 02:57:01 pm »

Yes, the current Dark/Light/Outdoor/Inside/Subterranean (and all that) system is a bit.. odd. I was looking whether there is a tool to change certain tiles. I thought, there are so many things you can edit, surely you can edit that? So far I've been unsuccessful in my quest for this magical tool.

Ahem.

The order "All dwarves stay inside" has nothing to do with "outside" and "inside", but rather everything with light and dark subterranean. I want to flag certain above ground constructed buildings as "dark, subterranean" so they won't flee from the damn building, even though they're inside and perfectly safe.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 03:18:33 pm »

The problem is that bones/shells are "refuse", and that works differently than more durable items.

Hyndis

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 04:09:23 pm »

Bones/skulls/shells have a chance to vanish when the season changes if they are outdoors.

If you want to hold onto them forever, you need to store them underground.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 04:14:23 pm »

INVISIBLE OGRES
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Cheater

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2009, 07:39:35 pm »

The order "All dwarves stay inside" has nothing to do with "outside" and "inside", but rather everything with light and dark subterranean. I want to flag certain above ground constructed buildings as "dark, subterranean" so they won't flee from the damn building, even though they're inside and perfectly safe.

I hate to disagree sir, but my dwarves remain under my constructed walkways when ordered to stay inside. These walkways are on the surface (Z+1 to be precise).

They are, logically, "Light" and "Above ground".

pokute

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2009, 12:08:17 am »

It's really odd how the wording gets confused again and again.

Let me reiterate my experience that my bones and shells located on a stockpile in a tile tagged as "Inside Light Above Ground" spontaneously disappeared over time.  They stopped disappearing once I moved them onto a tile tagged as "Inside Dark Subterranean."

This might be a glitch in 40d peculiar to items of the refuse type.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2009, 12:13:53 am »

I hate to disagree sir, but my dwarves remain under my constructed walkways when ordered to stay inside. These walkways are on the surface (Z+1 to be precise).

They are, logically, "Light" and "Above ground".
Your dwarves must be order ignoring bastards then, because my dwarves certainly won't do that.

Elvang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2009, 12:17:38 am »

They stopped disappearing once I moved them onto a tile tagged as "Inside Dark Subterranean.
Its the Above Ground/Subterranean flag that affects cave adaptation and whether refuse automagically disappears over time.
The Practicalities of Fire Imp Defense
Tileset fonts for dfterm/telnet
Win 0.34.11 SDL with 7 binary patched bugfixes
Quote from: They Dig
I have come here to drink booze and breach HFS... and I'm all out of booze.

Name Lips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2009, 12:42:37 am »

It's really odd how the wording gets confused again and again.

Let me reiterate my experience that my bones and shells located on a stockpile in a tile tagged as "Inside Light Above Ground" spontaneously disappeared over time.  They stopped disappearing once I moved them onto a tile tagged as "Inside Dark Subterranean."

This might be a glitch in 40d peculiar to items of the refuse type.
As far as I can remember this has always been the case. ANY refuse - bone, body parts, leather, chunks, shells - they will all vanish on their own if they are not stored underground. Whether or not they're in a stockpile, and whether or not you personally consider them valuable and want to hold onto them. When the seasons change, if they are not underground, they have a chance of vanishing forever.

I don't think it's a glitch - it's been around forever. Load up old versions if you have them - you'll find it still happens.
Pages: [1] 2