Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Zombies and skeletons  (Read 976 times)

TerminatorII

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Adamantine Skeleton]
    • View Profile
Zombies and skeletons
« on: April 16, 2009, 12:57:45 pm »

How do I get them... I have tried starting in Terrifying, haunted, and sinister biomes, yet everything is nice and friendly. No skeletal/zombie carp, elephants, anything.. =(

What gives?
No, I think the cook would be in charge of sugar-coating the cows.

You are a lifesaver! Round and probably in tropical flavors.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Zombies and skeletons
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 01:27:18 pm »

You can always mod the raws to have more of them.

Maybe your close to a friendly territory, too. Often oceans are completely different then there territory next to them.

In my current fort I got darklings and god knows what evil-s running around, but also a ocean with 3 pages full of carp. Its quite amusing.
(Took me nearly a year to breach the 3 aquifer levels)

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 01:35:10 pm »

About half of "evil" biomes will spawn undead version of normal creatures. The other half will spawn normal creatures and the "evil" living creatures, like ogres, beak dogs, harpies, foul blendecs, etc. Since most of those are large predators, you'll likely have at most one of them on the map at a time. If you've got any non-evil areas, having a pack of wolves or whatever wander in from there will also stop the evil creatures from spawning.

I think (but have not confirmed) that the red/grey evil tiles in the world map (on embark) give you living evil creatures and the purple/grey ones give you undead.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

FrickenMoron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 01:40:14 pm »

It also depends on the biome type of course. If you embark on evil mountains don't expect carp or elephants.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 04:07:23 pm »

The other half will spawn normal creatures and the "evil" living creatures, like ogres, beak dogs, harpies, foul blendecs, etc. Since most of those are large predators, you'll likely have at most one of them on the map at a time.
At most one? Really? I'm on a half terrifying 3x4 map and my initial 7 just got attacked by 6 harpies. I'd take zombies over harpies any day. Not all maps will have evil creatures right when you embark, they will migrate in over time like anything else. When I embarked on the harpy map there were only deer...

I can also refute the purple/pink = undead thing, as the mountains I'm on were pink and I've seen Werewolves, Harpies, and Ogres, but no undead. I think it's just luck.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 04:11:29 pm by kinseti »

Tcei

• Bay Watcher
  • Fear me! I am Bekat the Adorable Skull!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 05:06:08 pm »

I ended up having to beef up my maps to be over half haunted (current one Im using is ~90% evil) to consistently get undead/evil beast. On normal maps its very hit or miss as to wether you get anything bad.
....They just refuse to stay down unless butchered, in which case their skins will haunt you until you subdue and tan them. Never has legendary butcher and legendary tanner seemed so valueable as in this release.

Guilliman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2009, 05:54:09 am »

:(

IceShade

• Bay Watcher
  • YOUR HEAD ENGSMSPLODE
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2009, 08:04:55 am »

I'll take zombies over skeletons any day. Holy crap, those skeletons are fast. At one point, I had my adventurer running next to a river with undead fish. I was close, and then all of a sudden a bunch of fish skeletal fish just jump out and chase after me. That shit's scary.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2009, 11:50:29 am »

The other half will spawn normal creatures and the "evil" living creatures, like ogres, beak dogs, harpies, foul blendecs, etc. Since most of those are large predators, you'll likely have at most one of them on the map at a time.
At most one? Really? I'm on a half terrifying 3x4 map and my initial 7 just got attacked by 6 harpies. I'd take zombies over harpies any day. Not all maps will have evil creatures right when you embark, they will migrate in over time like anything else. When I embarked on the harpy map there were only deer...

I can also refute the purple/pink = undead thing, as the mountains I'm on were pink and I've seen Werewolves, Harpies, and Ogres, but no undead. I think it's just luck.

One group of creatures, not one creature. Those harpies are likely all from the same group.

As to the color determining creature content, I think it's the other way around; red/grey/dark yellow brings undead, whilst purple brings monsters. Mountains, oceans, and (probably) deserts only have one color set (pink/purple for mountains and deserts, red/yellow for oceans and rivers), so you won't be able to tell whether those are evil or undead until after you arrive.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2009, 11:53:51 am »

You shoulda saw it back in the old 2D adventure mode ruins.  Move 10 tiles and the entire population of 60 skeletons and 60 zombies were all coming after your brains, and knew EXACTLY where you were.  Half of them were well armed too, and half of that was weaponmasters.

Keep moving and you were usually ok, but get bogged down for more than a couple turns and suddenly its 10 vs 1, and yer over-exerted.  The moment you pass out you get about 20 pages of combat reports of the skeletons breaking random limbs and removing articles of clothing, being horribly inefficient at finishing you off, before one of them finally gets ahold of yer neck or somebody with a weapon better than an XXIronWhipXX finally gets around to killing you.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2009, 11:57:07 am by Greiger »
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2009, 12:31:32 pm »

*shudders*

The Tuna, oh, god the Tuna...

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2009, 02:39:47 pm »

Zombies are bad for beginner forts also, I had one zombie racoon take out all of my 7 dwarves.
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2009, 09:43:45 pm »

You can always mod the raws to have more of them.

Maybe your close to a friendly territory, too. Often oceans are completely different then there territory next to them.

In my current fort I got darklings and god knows what evil-s running around, but also a ocean with 3 pages full of carp. Its quite amusing.
(Took me nearly a year to breach the 3 aquifer levels)

I'm sorry but what?

Darklings? Haven't heard of them and they don't appear in the wiki ... fill me in.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.