Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Bizarre screw pump problem  (Read 1028 times)

Graven

• Bay Watcher
  • Don't we all just love contact juggling?
    • View Profile
Bizarre screw pump problem
« on: April 16, 2009, 12:30:05 pm »

Ok, I have a rather strange screw pump (or possibly water wheel) problem.

This is my supposed World Flooding Device. Problem is, at any given time only one or two of the 8 pumps are actually working, thus making it more like The World's Slowest Flooding Device. I searched around the wiki, but I couldn't find anything connected to this problem. Do the waterwheels need to be some distance from each other? Does a river support only a limited number of waterwheels? Did making the pump itself before the wheel on the riverflow somehow affect the wheels?
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

TerminatorII

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Adamantine Skeleton]
    • View Profile
Re: Bizarre screw pump problem
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 12:53:38 pm »

Your pumps are draining the river down below 4 thus causing the wheels to stop working thus stopping the pump. make a mass power source before the river y's (assuming the flow comes from the North) then route it to the pumps. (16 water wheels should make 800 power(I think) so you will be good.)
No, I think the cook would be in charge of sugar-coating the cows.

You are a lifesaver! Round and probably in tropical flavors.

Graven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 12:59:48 pm »

Ok, I feel ridiculously stupid now. For some odd reason, I thought the river not only would never drain, but would always stay at 7/7... so, there is no way for me to initiate a quick inundation without first setting up enormous watertanks. Damn. Thanks for the quick reply :)

edit : Pictured, hilarity - dwarves dying of thirst

« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 01:04:02 pm by Graven »
What a strange and beautiful world I beheld, but dangerous too, I was certain. And I was friendless and homeless. And so I prayed.
"Hear me, exalted spirits. Hear me be you gods or devils, ye who hold dominion here. I am a wizard without a home. I am a wanderer seeking refuge."

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 01:25:00 pm »

Channel the one titel infront of your water wheel. Also your sucking away your own "power", therefore the waterwheels wont work.

But yeah just channel the one titel in front of your water wheel and see how that works.

Graven

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 01:27:43 pm »

That would be the next time I try this... I initiated operation Flood-the-hell-out-of-my-own-fortress, though it's going much, much slower than it could... meh, I can turn this into a social experiment, observe how my 100 dwarves fare under stress (like the stress of dying of thirst while drowning and watching their friends burn in the little magma I managed to release into my fortress).

Skorpion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 02:07:01 pm »

Hm. Easy method is to just run the pumps off windmills instead.
The *large serrated steel disk* strikes the Raven in the head, tearing apart the muscle, shattering the skull, and tearing apart the brain!
A tendon in the skull has been torn!
The Raven has been knocked unconcious!

Elves do it in trees. Humans do it in wooden structures. Dwarves? Dwarves do it underground. With magma.

Variance

• Bay Watcher
  • Let's scare some woodcutters, Billy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 02:40:29 pm »

This is the number-one reason I don't use a custom tileset: I don't know of any that allow you to see fluid levels like the vanilla tileset can. It makes it so much easier to see what's happening and to be able to judge if something is flooded or not.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 02:42:34 pm by Variance »
Why is everyone so angry?

Brodiggan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 03:57:59 pm »

This is the number-one reason I don't use a custom tileset: I don't know of any that allow you to see fluid levels like the vanilla tileset can. It makes it so much easier to see what's happening and to be able to judge if something is flooded or not.

Actually, unless the tileset has overwritten the numbers 1-7 with something else (which is pretty unlikely considering it would make quite a bit of the interface useless), turning on fluid levels in the init.ini should work in exactly the same way, regardless of tileset or graphic set.

The tilesets just replace each letter or number with an alternate graphic, and the graphic sets only replace entities (vermin, npcs, dwarves, etc.)

The more graphical tilesets do replace the ~ and double ~~ with a sand/water graphic, but when fluid levels are turned on you'll still see the numbers in place of the graphic.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 04:00:28 pm by Brodiggan »

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 06:12:28 pm »

nvm, I just basically said the same thing as the poster above me ;)

Variance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
~~
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009, 02:27:13 pm »

Good point. I've never used a custom tileset before, so I didn't know.

To that end, how does turning fluid levels on differentiate between the ~ and ~~ graphics when it comes to sand vs. water? I would think that the coding would have to specify that fluid level numbers replace only water, not the entire set of ~ and ~~ characters on the map. Although the entities certainly need to be specified for changes within the tileset, I would think that there would need to be differentiations with other things too, like sand vs. water, stone vs. dirt, wall vs. miasma, etc.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2009, 03:41:41 pm »

There is no blue sand.  And magma is a noticeably different shade of red.

Brodiggan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: ~~
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2009, 04:28:44 pm »

To that end, how does turning fluid levels on differentiate between the ~ and ~~ graphics when it comes to sand vs. water? I would think that the coding would have to specify that fluid level numbers replace only water, not the entire set of ~ and ~~ characters on the map. Although the entities certainly need to be specified for changes within the tileset, I would think that there would need to be differentiations with other things too, like sand vs. water, stone vs. dirt, wall vs. miasma, etc.
Turning on fluid levels doesn't change every ~ and ~~ into a number, it specifically replaces water and magma tiles with the numbers. The tilesets are just basically a skin, that styles the output coming from the dwarf fortress exe, but doesn't do anything to change the way the game works.

There are a couple tilesets that use a very nearly identical tile for ~ and ~~, which annoys me no end as it makes discerning magma pools and magma pipes nearly impossible, but it's not an innate aspect of all tilesets, those particular tilemakers simply chose to use a very similar graphic for both characters. Tilesets replace characters on a 1 for 1 basis, there is no information lost, or gained, unless two tiles in the tileset are too similar in appearance.

Graphic sets do add some information, since they directly replace a creature, not it's character. So it's possible to tell the difference between camels and children for instance. (or was it camels and cats?)

Some tileset authors also include modded raws to change what particular character represents a particular type of stone, but that's really more a matter of bundling a mod and a tileset, since you could easily delete their tileset graphic, and still see the switched characters for each stone, even with the default graphics. RantingRodent's set uses this quite well actually, sorting the stones and gems by value and type, then assigning a visibly different tile to each, which does make it much much easier to quickly identify what stone is what without using the loo'k' command.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 04:33:25 pm by Brodiggan »

Variance

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2009, 01:05:00 pm »

Turning on fluid levels doesn't change every ~ and ~~ into a number, it specifically replaces water and magma tiles with the numbers. The tilesets are just basically a skin, that styles the output coming from the dwarf fortress exe, but doesn't do anything to change the way the game works.

There are a couple tilesets that use a very nearly identical tile for ~ and ~~, which annoys me no end as it makes discerning magma pools and magma pipes nearly impossible, but it's not an innate aspect of all tilesets, those particular tilemakers simply chose to use a very similar graphic for both characters. Tilesets replace characters on a 1 for 1 basis, there is no information lost, or gained, unless two tiles in the tileset are too similar in appearance.

Graphic sets do add some information, since they directly replace a creature, not it's character. So it's possible to tell the difference between camels and children for instance. (or was it camels and cats?)

Some tileset authors also include modded raws to change what particular character represents a particular type of stone, but that's really more a matter of bundling a mod and a tileset, since you could easily delete their tileset graphic, and still see the switched characters for each stone, even with the default graphics. RantingRodent's set uses this quite well actually, sorting the stones and gems by value and type, then assigning a visibly different tile to each, which does make it much much easier to quickly identify what stone is what without using the loo'k' command.

So, do you need to do anything when installing a tileset other than dumping the image into the graphics folders? It sounds like the raws also need to be modified.

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2009, 01:52:24 pm »

The only change you need to make for a tileset is to tell the init to load it. :P