Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Metal and wood crops (+ silk now)  (Read 1619 times)

BlazingDav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Metal and wood crops (+ silk now)
« on: April 16, 2009, 11:56:27 am »

Note I did a thorough search on the forum to check nobody has released such a mod yet, if someone already has I apologise in advance.

Anyway some of you may have noticed a thread I put up a while ago to ask for help with altering the price of seeds, of course turned out they can only be worth 1 -.-' though I think the time it takes the more alluring crop, adamantine 7.5 years to grow so I think i worked out the time compensation ok, so the fact that it is practically an exploit is reduced to the idea its dwarves genetically re-engineering crops with magic XP, also I set the frequency to 0 so you have to get your dwarven caravans to sell it to you, note that crops such as iron take one season, the time is supposed to be directly proportional to the value of the metal, also note I only did the metals that you would be able to get by smelting the ores in vanilla DF (unmodded DF)

So anyway the next 2 spoilers contain the plants themselves and their reactions, copy and paste them into the matgloss_plant and reaction_standard raws, generate a new world and you are ready to roll, just remember you have to process the resulting plants from growing them in the farmer's workshop (process plants) then you can smelt them into the bar or log you want, note that in the case of wood it just results in generic wood.

The silk plants work, after a long saga of forgetfulness the plant and reaction go with the others and the silkworm itself goes into a creature raw, personally I used creature_other, but given that its designed to never spawn or breed, it only exists theoretically probably doesnt matter where it goes except maybe stuff like the domestic and equipment and other stuff implying specific properties

Any suggestions or requests that come to mind and I'll see what I can do about it, just ask, though this is really my first attempt at modding

Warning-(literally) big spoilers ahead

Plants
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Reactions

Silkworm
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 02:22:14 am by BlazingDav »

Moron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Metal and wood crops (+ silk now)
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 12:02:06 pm »

Have you tested all of these so that you are sure they definitely work?

I have found in the past that when I try to mod in a crop that takes more than one year to grow, they disappear from the fields at the end of the first year and can never be harvested.

Still, good news if it does work, as it would be useful in something I am thinking about.

death

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 12:06:47 pm »

If this is the same Dav from xspore, which I think it is as he was talking about these to me, I think he has.

The strength of the pack is in the Wolf. And the strength of the Wolf is in the pack.

BlazingDav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 12:07:54 pm »

kind of, i tested the iron crop and modled the rest off of it, the wood crop i developed seperately and have been using successfully for some time, silk i dont know if it works, but for the more than one year think, i started a fort, planted some adamantine in the first year and its the second or third year and its still going, hopefully by year 8 or 9 ill have some adamantine thread to show off and smelt for some adamantine, though admittedly the side effect of having to make the plants become thread for reagent, many years patience could result in a nice adamantine robe, which would be... irritating, but funny XP

and yes death it is me my genius *or madness* is too rare to appear more than once with the same ideas XP

edit: in my attemps to test i just noticed that the seeds you get can be affected by how your dwarf civ works out, forgot about that detail, though i guess thats what i get for testing earlier in DwarfHeaven -.-', edit edit edit: just realised that i had bought the seeds with an embark profile, apologies on that

edit edit: also confirmed that adding these plants does change outcomes of world gens so i removed the relevant paragraph from the first post, or at least adding the silk plant did
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 12:51:50 pm by BlazingDav »

death

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 12:12:17 pm »

I would say madness. A metal plant D:

Its a nice selection of metals you've got there. I still dont agree with 7 and a half years, but once you think about it. It is adamantine.

The strength of the pack is in the Wolf. And the strength of the Wolf is in the pack.

Deimos56

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING: unicorpion]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 12:43:04 pm »

Plants[spoiler][MATGLOSS_PLANT:WOOD_THREAD]
[TILE:6]
[COLOUR:4:0:2]
[NAME:Wood Thread][NAME_PLURAL:Wood yarn]
[GROWDUR:504][VALUE:1]
[DRINK:Wood Stock:7:0:0]
[DRINKVALUE:1]
[THREAD]
[SEEDNAME:Wood thread spawn][SEED:7:0:0]
[GENPOWER:1]
[SPRING][SUMMER][AUTUMN][WINTER]
[FREQUENCY:0]
[CLUSTERSIZE:5]
[EDIBLE_RAW]
[WET][DRY][BIOME:SUBTERRANEAN_WATER]
[EDIBLE_RAW]
"Hey, Urist! This stuff tastes great!"
You just know it'll happen. You'll run out of wood, set up the reaction, and discover the dwarves are too busy eating any of the unprocessed plant to care. :P
Other than that, a good idea. Too bad you can't change seed prices.
I'm curious what the barely conscious ai wrote about.
Well that went better than expected.  He went nuts and punched a rabbit to death, then the dogs and the whole dining hall ripped him to shreds.

BlazingDav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 12:50:01 pm »

Yes, an amusing side consequence of making wood thread a very versatile crop is that you may have trouble getting enough to support a wood industry, admittedly and longer than a season and it may be more of a pain in the neck *hence the half a season grow time*

ill also use this post to mention i found an error in the silk plant design where i forgot to insert the cluster and biome tags -.-' so yeah correcting that now and proceeding to test *finally*

Edit: The funny screw ups of poor memory and accident continue, the silk reaction isnt working, due to me err... forgetting to alter the template of bars to thread... though the NO_MATGLOSS thing didnt work anyway, will continues, untill then i'll remove the silk plant entries from both the spoilers up top
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 01:01:07 pm by BlazingDav »

MatrexsVigil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 01:38:54 pm »

How do I change the plants so they can appear in nature and found using an Herbalist?  I've upped their frequency, but I haven't found them yet...

-P.C.

Guy Montag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 01:56:40 pm »

This sort of reminds me...

Is the anyway to mod in "metallic wood" read: Adamantine logs for the construction of Ballista parts?

BlazingDav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 02:14:16 pm »

You should just need to up their frequency to 100, though when i think about it, the biome is subterranean_water, like plump helmets etc. so that would mean you probably can't find it above ground, I would reccomend expanding the biome token so it can grow in more environments than just underground so you can find it above ground too, though id just reccomend

[BIOME:ALL_MAIN]

that would result in it being everywhere so you should be able to find it, up the frequency to 100 so the herbalist should find it alot and bang, the dwarven scientists who made it would be proud, though upset due to less sales they will be getting *got the biome token from the wiki by the way, dont know myself if it works, but the wiki is reliable*
------
i havent looked into making new kinds of wood or in much detail about trees, though i did search what you said there on the forum and got this post http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=27322.msg331592#msg331592 i would say if that works you just substitute the metal you want into the reaction and generate a new world so the reaction is enabled and you would be good to go for making logs of a certain metal *thanks go to poster from said thread*, for new kinds of wood entirely the wood tokens from the matgloss_wood look like a different kettle of fish i would read more about it from the wiki before id go into any modding with them
------
on another note, the silk reaction for some reason has an identity issue making it think its the aluminium reaction, i think its just that as i just tested the adamantine thread and it reacts ok *had to use cheat-o-matic to get 1800 points in embark screen for it XP*

ill post the current versions of the silk plant and silk reaction in case im overlooking something so someone could save the day XP, though given the silk plant thread appears ok *whose value ill be adjusting soon so it isnt free on the embark screen* the plant isnt the problem, i think its the reaction, but i cant explain the identity issue, i even went to a vanilla DF to test it again and it repeated again (i use civillisation forge mod and a few others which add more reactions so i dont think its anything to do with too many reactions)

edit: figured out the identity issue, there was a spelling mistake in the aluminium crop plant raw so im going to correct it, also the silk reaction just plain doesnt work XP

[REACTION:SILK_PLANT_THREAD_TO_SILK]
[NAME:Silk plant thread to silk cloth]
[REAGENT:1:THREAD:NO_SUBTYPE:PLANT:SILK_PLANT]
[PRODUCT:100:1:CLOTH:NO_SUBTYPE:SILK:SPIDER_CAVE]

[MATGLOSS_PLANT:SILK_PLANT]
[TILE:6]
[COLOUR:7:5:1]
[NAME:Silk plant][NAME_PLURAL:Silk fields]
[GROWDUR:2016][VALUE:0]
[THREAD]
[SEEDNAME:Silk seed][SEED:2:2:1]
[GENPOWER:1]
[SPRING][SUMMER][AUTUMN][WINTER]
[FREQUENCY:0]
[CLUSTERSIZE:5]
[WET][DRY][BIOME:SUBTERRANEAN_WATER]
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 02:20:34 pm by BlazingDav »

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2009, 12:29:25 am »

Why do you have them being processed into thread to do the reactions?

BlazingDav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2009, 01:34:06 am »

at an earlier stage i was using powder, but for some reason reactions dont like powders, also in order to get seeds from plants they have to be eaten raw, processed, or milled into powder, so of course that left processing and it made the most sense *so this all seems plausible somehow* to process it into thread for the reactions, so its like the reaction uses the thread for fuel and in the case of the metal bars leaves the metal which is converted into bars behind and in the case of the wood logs is like logs to charcoal only its thread to wood XP

also an update on the silk plant, im now trying to cause the reaction to create vermin which can be butchered to produce silk thread, this vermin being silkworms as ill call them im designing from scratch as well
edit: by the way im thinking that the reason why the silk reaction didnt work is that its not supposed to recognise thread or cloth as a product, any opinions on all this would be appreciated

edit: got the reaction working and all now... turns out i forgot the smelter tag which was needed for the reaction to be recognised XP when i solved that and got it to produce the generic cave spider silk, it boiled, didnt use fuel, but i dont know why it boiled, but anyway, thankfully i cooked up a vermin that won't ever appear called the silk worm that certainly produces silk that you can throw into magma and itll still be there =P optimistic, but i dont feel like working out proper temperatures XP, so ill add the silk worm entry at the top as well as restoring the silk plant and silk thread reactions *turns out thread can be a product XP*
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 02:15:15 am by BlazingDav »

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2009, 08:21:16 am »

No you can make seeds in the smelter (or at least the person who made the mod I copied this from believed they could I've not run this mod yet so...)

[PRODUCT:100:2:SEEDS:NONE:TOWER_CAP:NONE]

For the silk worm just copy the small cave spider, remove the venom, change the biome tag and the tile and color, add [COMMON_DOMESTIC] and [PET] and don't worry about the plant at all.

BlazingDav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2009, 09:57:08 am »

Yes, but the point of this is to make crops that you can process and react to get what you want, animals can induce lag and other things which would make silk farming with animals a pain in the neck, admittedly I just came up with that, but these crops are useful for areas where there isnt much of anything and when you dont want to be messing around with animal breeding etc., yet are still plausible *whether growing plants in a desert is plausible we can debate that later*. On a note the point of the silkworm was to create a silk you could pull out the smelter quite happily without it igniting or boiling in your hands without editting something that already exists, also its a silk production more like in the real world except the dwarves keep it underground and destroy the silkworm in the smelter as they form precious silk thread =P Why all the seeds come infected with silkworm eggs we wont know, especially when silkworms can't actually live in the dwarf world as i made them XP

Also I cant say making seeds in a smelter is quite as plausible, also it'd make them free so the scientists who developed this are cheated out of their 1 coin per seed *current count is a few more trillion seeds need to be sold to recoup their loses*, also what would you put in to make it fair? the plant or something? That would be where it stops making sense and also creates just as much work =P also the need to process it into thread creates a little bit more labour that makes it more reasonable as a potential exploit in general leaving you to only stew about having to wait 7.5 years to hug your adamantine bars you will get if you go about growing them =P

Also I figured out why my wood plant was giving generic wood *and notably heavy wood when i used it, but ill leave that as a balance to it given how much you can produce with it =P*, the tag for the wood it produces doesn't exist in the wood raw file *i remember it being something about my earlier attempts about making tree grow on farms, but then i learnt how to bend reactions to my will and so i rolled on happily with that* anyway, if you find the wood to be too irritating for you taste if you pick another wood that exists from your wood file then it should pick that wood and you can move along things faster, especially useful for wooden cages.

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2009, 01:36:35 pm »

this is the plant and reaction that I copied off of someone else (they deserve all the credit for it, but I don't remember who they were).

You will notice the long grow duration (a full year) and the low cluster size and that it does nothing else (and costs more to buy the grown plant off the merchants than a regular log, though the seed is cheaper). I'm working on using this for Fruit/Nut trees (you grow them for the fruits/nuts (food/drink) but you can cut the orchard down to get the wood; I'm thinking long grow duration, low cluster size, and 2 or 3 plants needed to get 1 piece of lumber).

The premise of this reaction is that you are harvesting the tree and turning it into usable lumber and saving the seed pods for future planting (though it really should be done in the carpenter's shop and not the smelter). If I could remove the [SMELTER] token and put [CARPENTER_SHOP] in its place and have it work I would but the smelter is the only place you can work this kind of magic (unless you use [ITEM_CORPSE] and I thought about it, the Golden Goose sounded kind of Dwarfy to me). Future versions the other shops will have the ability to do reactions (just not sure when).
Pages: [1] 2