Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Do goblin arenas work?  (Read 2206 times)

IceShade

• Bay Watcher
  • YOUR HEAD ENGSMSPLODE
    • View Profile
Do goblin arenas work?
« on: April 16, 2009, 09:56:06 am »

I have built an arena, and it was a let down. Wildlife doesn't attack goblins, and my dwarves are too strong for goblins.

There seems to be another problem, but I'm not too sure of it yet.

Example one, a recent post. http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=33553.msg514615#msg514615

He claims that 3 animals took out 24 goblins. 24! With armor and weapons!
Then we have Captain Duck's youtube tutorials, and in one of the movies he has an in-betweeny video of an arena fight where he pits about.. I think 3 dogs versus 8 goblins, and all 3 dogs survived. I can tell you, in a normal ambush, my wardog (acting as a gate guard) can barely take on one goblin.
===
Edit: I think this is the video. Not quite the numbers I thought they were, but no wolves/bears/dogs were killed (except for one wolf that was injured when released from his cage.. Ive had that happen to a dog. Quite weird). All goblins got horribly mauled. Though good to see that the more aggressive wildlife attacks goblins.. unless Captain Duck modded them to be war trained. Still not too sure about all that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7zxW_rZFBV0&fmt=18

===

Then we have my own experience, and one of them is in my gauntlet. I unleashed about 15 goblins to run through traps, release two war dogs and then a few more rooms to their freedom. When they triggered the dogs, about 10 goblins ran through. The dogs killed 7 goblins, and 3 survived (they ran through). The dogs were not injured. The goblins just ran.

What's happening here? All I can tell is that the goblins will run, run and run. My theory is that they were part of an ambush or siege squad that was forced to retreat because of casualties. a member was captured, but is still in "retreat" mode and will do so even when put in an enclosed arena.

None of the caged goblins I released have fought back so far.

« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 10:08:06 am by IceShade »

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
Re: Do goblin arenas work?
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 11:13:52 am »

Try increasing the damage block, speed and size of hostiles, that's what I always do.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

IceShade

• Bay Watcher
  • YOUR HEAD ENGSMSPLODE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 11:34:53 am »

Try increasing the damage block, speed and size of hostiles, that's what I always do.

.. What's the point of that if they don't fight back?

FrickenMoron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 12:08:31 pm »

Caged goblins simply lose all will to fight. They will beeline for the nearest map exit if let free, they will not fight. Friend of mine caught 50 goblins and thought he'd entertain them by dumping his donkeys and horses into their living quarters. result:

« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 12:12:37 pm by FrickenMoron »

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 01:31:29 pm »

Get the Orc Mod.

If you dont mod the Orcs from it you get things like that;

(My spider pit, 10 tame GCS, 23 dogs and a horse vs 7 orcs, one of them a mace lord)

Orcs won....

IceShade

• Bay Watcher
  • YOUR HEAD ENGSMSPLODE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 01:41:27 pm »

10 GSC and 23 dogs vs 7 orcs, and they win?

Those be some toughies!

It's a shame that the vanilla gobbos are so.. well, cough, lame. Could I change them so they stand and fight, instead of run away all the time? I could actually do something in the arena, then.

Elvang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 01:45:49 pm »

The Better Goblins Mod offers several options for increasing the difficulty for goblins, if your going to do something that requires a regen I'd just go with it instead of mucking around in the raws.
The Practicalities of Fire Imp Defense
Tileset fonts for dfterm/telnet
Win 0.34.11 SDL with 7 binary patched bugfixes
Quote from: They Dig
I have come here to drink booze and breach HFS... and I'm all out of booze.

Guy Montag

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 01:48:20 pm »

The trick is to make your arena small. The goblin doesn't want to fight, and the neutral doesn't want to fight, but they WILL fight if they happen to get to close to each other.

a 3x3 room or smaller will quickly result the desired bloodbath, even if its kittens vs. a retreating goblin thief. a 5x5 room will create more drawn out battles, because the combatants will randomly move untill they come into contact and anything larger then that will just have all potential combatants just trying to get the fuck out of there and it will be a FPS draining path-finding nightmare.

Pit them into a small room. For maximum lethality, line one side of the arena with Fortifications so your marksdwarves can execute the victor, and if you just plain want that gobbo POW to be dead, throw a wardog or two in there.

Wardogs in a 3x3 room, man... it turns into a goddamn Gobbo blender, those fucking dogs are brutal. chunks and bits and smears everywhere and you get wardogs with 87 character long names. Gobbo smoke, don't breathe this!

« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 05:55:52 pm by Guy Montag »

Raz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 08:45:48 pm »

Fun story: When I assigned a goblin thief (carrying a large iron dagger) to a 15-z deep pit, it escaped my hammerman's grip and cut his leg. It then proceeded to flee through the endless corridors without attacking anybody before finally getting torn apart by a pet saltwater crocodile (or alligator).

The fun part was that the only person who got injured was a noble, and he died due to dehydration a few months later because there's no water on my map. :D

Good way to get rid of nobles: Let them pit/pond stuff.

Edit: I think captured creatures' will to fight is largely influenced by their size. It will gladly attack creatures smaller than they are. Same goes with tame pets. However, I once pitted 3 goblins against 10 or so rhesus macaque, and they still lost. The tame rhesus macaques were pretty aggressive though, so the size might just determine pets' will to fight.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 08:48:56 pm by Raz »
"I can't wait to procrastinate!"

cjet79

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 11:24:31 pm »

Aww dang they don't fight?  I have been collecting goblins for about two seasons now in the hopes that I can pit them against the Dragon I tamed.  Maybe I'll do it anyways, for shits and giggles.

Carcer

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2009, 04:29:16 am »

You may well have your firey blood bath. Even tame Dragons apparently have a desire to annihilate all in thier path that isn't dwarven.
set the meeting area on top of a retracting bridge above a huge pit. pull lever.
Entire goddamn fortress cancells task: resting injury.

IceShade

• Bay Watcher
  • YOUR HEAD ENGSMSPLODE
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2009, 04:57:44 am »

Don't worry, I think dragons aren't quite as scared as the rest of the wildlife. The goblins probably won't do anything, but that dragon will set everything in that arena on fire.. and probably himself, too. My skeletal dragon burned herself in my pit.

Michaelsoftman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2009, 07:42:08 am »

I think Dragons have the [NoFear] tag so they'll just run into battle.

Katsuun

• Bay Watcher
  • [Loli_Weaboo]
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2009, 08:01:39 am »

Anything with No Fear runs directly into battle I belive. Thus, mod Goblins to have No Fear.
how would a Fortress based curse work?

Rocks fall, everyone dies.

Sans context.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2009, 09:03:26 am »

10 GSC and 23 dogs vs 7 orcs, and they win?

Those be some toughies!

It's a shame that the vanilla gobbos are so.. well, cough, lame. Could I change them so they stand and fight, instead of run away all the time? I could actually do something in the arena, then.

Yeah those orcs are hardcore. [It's a good little mod]
Anyways the vanilla game is quite easy for an experienced player, but I guess that's all good. Let's just say, that the vanilla game is newbie friendly.  :)
Pages: [1] 2