Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: The Nation Game  (Read 7770 times)

The Moonlit Knight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The Nation Game
« on: April 16, 2009, 08:43:24 am »

Well, I'm giving this a shot just because I'm bored and want to try it out. A civilization/strategy/role-playing game brought to you by /the gentlemen/ who anonymously mashed together the rules for this, plus a few of my own additions.

The Nation Game
Create a nation and engage in diplomacy, wage war, or get up to whatever you can come up with as the infallible leader of a nation.
Global domination? Maybe so, tyrant.

World Map
(Will be updated whenever possible.)

Starting/Joining the Game
- Decide who will act as the Cartographer (or force someone into it). The Cartographer keeps track of all changes that would affect the map and occasionally posts an "Official Map" to set the record straight on what the hell's going on. They should also provide informational updates as to what the hell's going on if they feel like it. The Cartographer can still play as normal if they're up to it. At any point (usually once they get bored or sleep-deprived), the Cartographer may pass their duty to a willing or unwitting player, or just let the whole affair tumble into anarchy.

- Choose one province and fill it with a color and/or flag and/or marker of your choice and give it a name. Just don't fill the entire map with gigantic font. Cut out the bit of the map you've altered and post it in the thread so that it can be added to the official map (DO NOT alter the size of the image; otherwise, the Cartographer can't just paste your addition right onto the map); the cut-out being so you don't have to waste someone's precious bandwidth uploading the entire map. Alternately, you can request that the Cartographer make the alterations, though they probably won't look as spiffy and they might hate you a little.

Playing
- For any miscellaneous action, roll 3d6; for each die, an even number is a success, an odd number is a failure. Really, roll any even-numbered die (or two-sided object); the important thing is that evens win and odds lose. Potential actions include: drilling for oil, launching a rocket into space, throwing a killer nationwide party, cloning your leader for the lulz, etc. All actions with a potential for failure require a roll to perform. Arbitrarily assign a level of difficulty to the task (number of successes needed, between 1 and 3) and get rolling.

- Expanding territory (into NEUTRAL lands) is as above, but may only be attempted once per day in light of the massive effort involved. Roll 3d6; one success is enough to capture a province.

- For warfare/conflicts, each side rolls 3d6 for each province taking part in the fight, including those of allies joining the fight. See additional rules of war below. One can attack a nation only once per day, though one can be attacked multiple times.

- Uprisings/revolutions can be declared within single provinces; each side rolls 3d6, with the victor attaining the province. Of course, if the rebels win, they are then treated as a regular nation and can be attacked with the full force of their former nation's military.

- In the event of a tie in any contest, the victory goes to whoever has the least losses; if there is still a tie, the contest is considered a stalemate and can be either abandoned or re-rolled.

- If all provinces are claimed, the only way for a new player to enter the game is by someone giving them a province or by staging an uprising.

- Remember, you're playing as your nation itself, however that manifests itself. Make some rousing speeches as the leader, report on your latest domestic troubles, hint at your sinister master plan.

Warfare (Step-by-step!)
1) Nation A declares war on Nation B, calls upon allies for support.
2) Nation B can decide either to concede immediately (skip to part 5) or defend itself and call upon allies for support.
3) Pre-war negotiations; outside nations decide their actions. Aid, intervention, and bargaining all happen during this time. At this point, the war is still avoidable, perhaps hinging on the promised retribution of some outside nation.
4) Whenever everyone feels ready, war begins. Both nations roll may roll all dice on behalf of themselves and their allies, though they may wish to draw things out roll-by-roll and describe the dramatic battles being fought.
5) Whoever emerges victorious may offer terms of surrender, including (but by no means limited to) the seizing of territory from the defeated. If the terms are rejected, the attacker seizes provinces from the defender equal to the amount of victories the attacker won the war by (ex. 6 wins vs. 4 wins = 2 provinces taken). Either nation can then declare war again or just calm down and have a drink or something.

Rules
- When updating or altering the map, save it in .PNG ONLY. BMPs are huge and JPG will screw up the image.

- Do not annex land from any nation without they having given it to you in a treaty or lost it in war.

- Do not act on behalf of other nations unless they've given you permission such as "While I'm away, assume I come to the aid of Toadyland whenever they request it."

- Do not invent or create fake land; you can build as many offshore military platforms as you like, but I don't think any of them will be large enough to constitute a country. This isn't the Principality of Sealand.

- Any nation idle for more than a week will be considered defunct and can have territory seized from it as though it were neutral land, though it will still exist if nobody conquers all of it. Control of a nation can be given to someone else by the nation's leader, if the leader wishes to step down.

- Don't be a poor sport, if you lose a war then so be it.

- Do whatever crazy shit comes to mind, it's really a role playing game after all. You'll probably get in less wars if you spend your time researching the number of monkeys it takes to write, edit, and publish Hamlet anyway.

PLAYER & NATION LIST/INFO (work in progress)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

If anyone wants to makes suggestions on the rules or has any questions about the game, pipe up, yeah? I did just come up with half of this overnight without getting any sleep. (This applies throughout the game. If there's something that seems like it needs changing, mention it.)

The original rules for warfare were that each side would roll 3d6 for each nation in their alliance rather than each province. We could use those rules instead if there's a want for less focus on gaining territory and more on straight-up diplomacy and role playing. Should get that sorted out ASAP.

Otherwise, go ahead and found some nations. I think the game itself should start only if/when there are five people playing.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2009, 05:30:51 am by The Moonlit Knight »
A man once said to me, "If you want superpowers, all you have to do is take acid and you'll have any superpower you want." He then asked if I had just, at that moment, shaved half my face; I revealed that as being my superpower. Being suddenly and inexplicably half-shaven.

CloisteredSyrups

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Nation Game
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 09:20:53 am »

Reserved, since whenever I pause to read the rules, all the slots are taken before I'm done. :X

Count me in!... In whatever this is!

Woo.

-----

Some questions regarding gameplay...

-If you mention it, I apologise for overlooking it, but I don't really see anything that explains how turns and/or number of actions and/or other work... Do we get one action per day, or... something? Misc and general actions, I mean.

-Do you have to share a border with a nation to declare war and/or generally attack them?

-Can you use the sea to transport an attack, an action, or other to any other coastal province on the map in one action? Does this take multiple actions to complete due to distance?  ...Toast????

-What is the percent chance of being able to use armoured lizards with cannons on their backs as cavalry in warfare?

I am quite serious, if smug and coy as well.

-----

Those're the most oblique... Pardon my earlier (...and future, probably. ;)) insolence.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 09:49:41 am by CloisteredSyrups »
Wolves tore off my adventurer's limbs, and you are reminded of pokemon?

The Moonlit Knight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 09:26:18 am »

Reserved, since whenever I pause to read the rules, all the slots are taken before I'm done. :X
Well, there are as many slots as there are divisions on the map, so I don't think you need to worry much! But I'll keep a space reserved in case 50~ people suddenly join.
A man once said to me, "If you want superpowers, all you have to do is take acid and you'll have any superpower you want." He then asked if I had just, at that moment, shaved half my face; I revealed that as being my superpower. Being suddenly and inexplicably half-shaven.

The Moonlit Knight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 10:25:59 am »

Some questions regarding gameplay...
Oh, I would certainly expect some.

-If you mention it, I apologise for overlooking it, but I don't really see anything that explains how turns and/or number of actions and/or other work... Do we get one action per day, or... something? Misc and general actions, I mean.
Misc. and general actions can be made freely as many times as you wish so long as it is relevant/awesome enough to bear mentioning and rolling dice for. The rolling of dice is an entirely arbitrary system of determining success or failure at whatever ridiculous task someone comes up with. Additional rules for said ridiculous tasks will be invented as the need arises.

-Do you have to share a border with a nation to declare war and/or generally attack them?
This comes down to role-playing! The short answer is "No." The long answer is "Not if you're clever about it." For instance, one might have a navy or air force on hand to transport troops over long distances. One might also have an unnecessarily expensive system of rockets and drop pods to distribute soldiers from orbit. And of course there are the rules for Uprisings. I suppose I should put in there that established nations can fund/encourage guerrilla resistance, a stealthy way of attempting to seize a province from someone without having to face their entire military, though they might decide to invade in light of your harboring terrorists and all.

-Can you use the sea to transport an attack, an action, or other to any other coastal province on the map in one action? Does this take multiple actions to complete due to distance?  ...Toast????
You may certainly do all of those things.

-What is the percent chance of being able to use armoured lizards with cannons on their backs as cavalry in warfare?
Somewhere between 40% and 70%.

This isn't intended as a game of strategy so much as it is a slipshod system for role playing international intrigue in a world full of insane (well, more so than normally) rulers, though there is a dash of strategy thrown in just to keep things interesting.

I was considering some kind of generalized system related to domestic actions like, say, taking an action to find new resources, send out propaganda, research space flight, that sort of thing; but I'm not sure how far to take the strategy, because at some point it just becomes Civilization and we all sit around for a day while somebody micromanages their incomprehensibly large empire of roughly twelve cities.

EDIT: For an example of the sort of gameplay that typically comes out of The Nation Game, see here.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 10:39:46 am by The Moonlit Knight »

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 10:45:21 am »

Muhaha!

Fear my economonomionomical superioramaratimaraty!
Once tried to conquer Earth, and succeeded! Too bad it got really, really boring, really, really fast.

One day, we shall all look back on this, and laugh. Sorry about the face, by the way, and the legs, and the eyes, and the arms. In fact, sorry 'bout the whole body.

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
  • Look in to my eyesssss.
    • View Profile
    • http://www.ihavenoideathissiteexcisted.com
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 10:46:10 am »

Long live the proletariat!

Shit, got ninjaed by a guy who took the same colour. I'll take dark green then. Ironic that it was a CAPITALIST! that took my colour.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 10:48:29 am by Asheron »

Quote from: Toady One
Did you just post a bunch of vegi-dicks on my board?  I've been trying to combat forum devolution a bit, and that involves fewer vegi-dicks!
Quote from: Yahtzee
Yes, random is funny, isn't it? Sometimes I set up a random number generator when I need a good laugh.

Servant Corps

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 10:46:39 am »

Fear my economonomionomical superioramaratimaraty!

It's Syndicate all over again!
I have left Bay12Games to pursue a life of non-Bay12Games. If you need to talk to me, please email at me at igorhorst at gmail dot com.

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 10:48:40 am »

Yes! but, this time there will be androids, Electric Sheep and Harrison Ford! MUHAHAHAHH!
Once tried to conquer Earth, and succeeded! Too bad it got really, really boring, really, really fast.

One day, we shall all look back on this, and laugh. Sorry about the face, by the way, and the legs, and the eyes, and the arms. In fact, sorry 'bout the whole body.

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2009, 10:49:42 am »

Yes! but, this time there will be androids, Electric Sheep and Harrison Ford! MUHAHAHAHH!
You forgot the armoured blimps, kodiack bears and attack dogs.

Also, a question. Could we, theoretically, have a space program and, then, theoretically, claim provinces in space?

Did you just post a bunch of vegi-dicks on my board?  I've been trying to combat forum devolution a bit, and that involves fewer vegi-dicks!
Yes, random is funny, isn't it? Sometimes I set up a random number generator when I need a good laugh.

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 10:51:11 am »

Wrong thingy, Asheron.

The Moonlit Knight

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2009, 10:54:54 am »

Your colors aren't completely similar, there's bound to be some overlap anyway. There's no player limit besides the number of territories that exist.

So we've got Soviets, a massive corporate entity, a bunch of anarchists, and a dominion of some sort.

Should be an interesting game.

However, I have things to do today! If anyone wants to begin in my absence, they can go ahead so long as it's all legit and recorded. Otherwise, I'll be back later to update the map and kick things off.

Oh, but
Quote from: Asheron
Could we, theoretically, have a space program and, then, theoretically, claim provinces in space?
That sorta removes the main source of conflict in the game! Not that I particularly like conflict, but when you go colonizing space, you open up a can of worms the size of the universe.

EDIT: Oh yeah. http://invisiblecastle.com/roller/ I suppose a somewhat verifiable dice roller would be a good thing to have.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 11:07:32 am by The Moonlit Knight »

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2009, 10:56:10 am »

For my first action, I shall create replicants!

Asheron

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2009, 10:56:21 am »

Your colors aren't completely similar, there's bound to be some overlap anyway. There's no player limit besides the number of territories that exist.

So we've got Soviets, a massive corporate entity, a bunch of anarchists, and a dominion of some sort.

Should be an interesting game.

However, I have things to do today! If anyone wants to begin in my absence, they can go ahead so long as it's all legit and recorded. Otherwise, I'll be back later to update the map and kick things off.

Oh, but
Quote from: Asheron
Could we, theoretically, have a space program and, then, theoretically, claim provinces in space?
That sorta removes the main source of conflict in the game! Not that I particularly like conflict, but when you go colonizing space, you open up a can of worms the size of the universe.
But space allows for orbital cannon bombardements!

My first action shall be the development of ICBMs. A lot of them.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 10:58:11 am by Asheron »

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2009, 11:02:00 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Heh, there it is.

Right first job will be to expand to the province on my right.
I also wish to research animal training, and Lasers.
I will also create the 1st Navy.
Do I do the rolls, or do you?

Also, what sort of timeframe are we in?
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 04:50:48 pm by Kashyyk »

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2009, 11:03:21 am »

.....I don't get it.

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6