Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Masterpeice smelter???  (Read 1697 times)

Hishan

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALCOHOL_DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
Masterpeice smelter???
« on: April 16, 2009, 07:47:34 am »

In my little fort i got a message "Tekkud Mcdof has crafted a masterpeice!"
Exited to see what he had made so early on in the game, i zoomed to him, to find him walking away from a smelter i had him biuld. What has happened here?

Nerserus

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
Re: Masterpeice smelter???
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2009, 07:58:10 am »

Not sure, but is he a legendary building designer? Not sure if it affects anything but...
stack of 10 prepared dragonfly brains - I'm trying to imagine what's more funny: a dwarf popping a tiny dragonfly brain into his mouth for a snack, the butcher who actually prepared this feast, or the brave hunter who ventured out into the wilderness and returned with this bounty.

kefkakrazy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2009, 07:58:53 am »

Aren't smelters built by architects? I think anything an architect has to put together gets a quality modifier-I remember hearing about, for example, a well achieving some absolutely stupid high value because someone used a stack of artifacts and it got a high quality mod.
This is a Dwarven corpse. All craftsdwarfship is of the highest quality. It is encircled with bands of pathetic and menaces with spikes of fail.

Hishan

• Bay Watcher
  • [ALCOHOL_DEPENDANT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2009, 08:00:57 am »

It was biult by an untrained architct, but a master mason, I only got the message after the mason had worked on it. Maybe this is the reason dwarves get the "admired a fine smelter recently" messages, i never knew biuldings have quality modifiers. Whats going on?

Nerserus

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2009, 08:19:10 am »

Then it's probably that the building was made by a master mason ( So building quality COULD effect happiness ) in any case, i'm going off to
pour magma on elves
kill the elves and feed them to my Giant Leopard
trade with the elves, yes, yes thats it...
stack of 10 prepared dragonfly brains - I'm trying to imagine what's more funny: a dwarf popping a tiny dragonfly brain into his mouth for a snack, the butcher who actually prepared this feast, or the brave hunter who ventured out into the wilderness and returned with this bounty.

Nilik

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2009, 10:03:08 am »

I think building quality is based off design (architecture) quality + building (mason or carpenter) quality.

I could be wrong.

Dame de la Licorne

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats? Check. FPS? Uh-oh...
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2009, 10:06:11 am »

I think building quality is based off design (architecture) quality + building (mason or carpenter) quality.

I could be wrong.

This is correct.  It's why some people train their architects by building a lot of supports before building real structures.
If software was real world, then it'd be something equivalent of hitting a nail with a hammer and having a building collapse on the other side of town.

Don't worry people, sometimes -moments occur

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2009, 03:49:13 pm »

Or just rebuild once the skill is up to par. 

But an architect is only involved in a few types of buildings - and it's not clear how much effort even a masterpiece building is worth.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2009, 05:01:19 pm »

But I want my fortress to gleam with masterpiece platinum lavaworks and iron pillars every step.

GLEAM!

ProfessorA

• Bay Watcher
  • don't close your eyes, they'll get your eyelids
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2009, 07:10:36 pm »

Then make one fortress from which you can build the materials required to build a second fortress, then build a third fortress as a decoy to throw off the kobolds/gobbos/elves/nobility, then build a fourth one for the hell of it

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2009, 07:37:12 pm »

Then make one fortress from which you can build the materials required to build a second fortress, then build a third fortress as a decoy to throw off the kobolds/gobbos/elves/nobility, then build a fourth one for the hell of it
A fifth one to appease the forces that strive to ruin fortresses, a sixth one because all your friends are doing it, and a seventh for that cute girl at the supermarket.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

ProfessorA

• Bay Watcher
  • don't close your eyes, they'll get your eyelids
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2009, 07:44:53 pm »

And one fortress to rule them all

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2009, 08:01:40 pm »

...Which is destroyed by magma.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

worldspawn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2009, 08:12:06 pm »

Aren't smelters built by architects? I think anything an architect has to put together gets a quality modifier-I remember hearing about, for example, a well achieving some absolutely stupid high value because someone used a stack of artifacts and it got a high quality mod.

Ya I made a well worth 3 mil dwarfbucks outta artifacts and both the architect and metalsmith mastercrafted it.

Kardos

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2009, 08:33:56 pm »

...Which is destroyed by magma.
Well, this is Dwarf Fortress.
Pages: [1] 2