Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: New use for the starting points...  (Read 1444 times)

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
  • Invokes Yog-Soggoth to bend time
    • View Profile
New use for the starting points...
« on: October 06, 2006, 04:27:00 am »

...customising your mountain.

That is, give us ability to buy advantages and gain more points by selecting disadvantages. Advantages could be like "More ore", "More gems" and the like, affecting the generation of the mountain interior. Others could be something like "More wildlife" for hunting and "More fish" to catch, perhaps affecting the spawn rates? Really costly advantages (100+ points) could involve "Trade hub" bringing more caravans a year or the cave river flooding every season, making farming in winter possible.

Disadvantages, on the other hand, would give you more points. Basic ones would mean less resources inside the mountain, while something like "More predators" would spawn aggressive animals more and "More monsters" would increase the number of chasm attacks etc. Those really increasing your points could involve stuff like "The dead are walking", which would animate dwarven dead as homicidal zombies if not properly buried in a coffin quick enough.

CogDissident

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: New use for the starting points...
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 06:40:00 am »

I think this would be better to just add one starting screen just for this. Instead of having it cost points, have each fortress have allowed "one" advantage. That way people can still start with goods instead of trying to start with no skills and no weapons just to get an uberpowerful fortress later on. But I do like this idea, gives each fortress a reason for being in the location it is, though I'd sugguest that each one be approximately the same power level if theres only going to be one special per fortress.

grendel

« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 12:07:00 pm »

I love the idea of customized mountains. Not sure I love attaching it to points, though.

I guess you could rationalize it by saying that you have to pay the King/Queen for the rights to build on the land, and better land is more expensive.

bbb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2006, 12:16:00 pm »

points.. how many points for each advantage?

i mean.. an iron plate armor is like 1000 points.. surely an advantage would be worth a bit more than that?

... a separate set of stats.... giving advantages (and disadvantages) would be better..

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2006, 02:17:00 pm »

Heh well, how about separate points for the mountain screen? I kind of like point-based custom scenes, such as in Master of Orion and Master of Magic.

odd2k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2006, 03:57:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by bbb:
<STRONG>

... a separate set of stats.... giving advantages (and disadvantages) would be better..</STRONG>

Sounds like the only sensible solution if you ask me. Still, I think being able to change your enviroment like that makes the game to arcadish.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2006, 04:25:00 pm »

quote:
Originally posted by odd2k:
<STRONG>Still, I think being able to change your enviroment like that makes the game to arcadish.</STRONG>

This guy shares my thoughts.   A lot of the fun is not knowing precisely what you're getting yourself into; and there's no logical reason why you'd be able to control how many gems or ore is in an already generated mountain.

Cerej

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 06, 2006, 04:59:00 pm »

Perhaps certain sites could broadcast their traits, but I think it would be better if the traits were hidden.

CogDissident

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 06, 2006, 05:31:00 pm »

Possibly implement these traits, but not have them aparent until a certain noble shows up. Like having the extra-fish trait, but it doesn't come into effect until you get the noble for the fishing house? Make it randomized so not every mountain has the traits, and probably max it at 1 or 2 traits per site.

Gakidou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2006, 02:38:00 am »

Perhaps related, but I would really love to have better descriptions from the area selection screen. I like the challenge that several of the areas bring (Deserts, Glaciers, areas lacking rivers), but as it is you need to find such areas by selecting a place with no trees/ no vegitation, and even then it isn't assured.

It doesn't make too much sense to be to be able to influence the land with points, though; I think that an area should be what it is when it is generated, really. I think it would make more sense to be able to pay points in order to gain better support from the surrounding civilizations. Some examples:

400 Points - Civil Engineering: Begin the game with a trade depo, wagon-worthy road, and an outdoors well.
300 Points - Local Hunters: Hunters from a nearby human town are allowed to hunt on your lands, thereby reducing the threat posed by vicious Elephants.
200 Points - Elven Contact: Elves will come to trade before the proper noble arrives.
100 Points - Bribe Goblin Civilization: Goblins leave you alone for a longer time.
50 Points - Bribe Kobold Civilization: Same as above, but cheaper because kobold pose less of a threat.
0 Points - Insult the King's Mother: Starting relations with your parent civilization are much worse than normal. Dwarven caravans visit infrequently, and nobles come in fewer numbers.

If something of this nature was added, I think that it would make sense to use the same point pool as is currently used.

Zorromorph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 07, 2006, 02:48:00 am »

I don't like the idea of being able to change the mountain, but I think it should vary more.  Having it always be river/chasm/lava etc. is strange.  It's like the mountain's always(basically) the same, while the outside terrain varies greatly.  Doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Capntastic

• Bay Watcher
  • Greetings, mortals!
    • View Profile
    • A review and literature weblog I never update
« Reply #11 on: October 07, 2006, 03:10:00 am »

I think a lot of these 'traits' you're all wanting should be location based in the case of  Elves visiting more often, or Kobolds avoiding you or whatever.  As for starting with stuff already built, I disagree completely because you're supposed to be the trailblazers in the area.

But for the most part, such things should be based on your proximity to other civilizations, and not 'buyable'.

Mechanoid

• Bay Watcher
  • [INTELLIGENT]
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2006, 04:47:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by Zorromorph:
I don't like the idea of being able to change the mountain

Start a game, abandon the fortress, and start another on the exact spot, and you'll get a different amount and placement of ore.

The reasoning behind there being more gems or metals is because the dwarves sent a geologist team out one year before you arrived. The more you paid them, the more ores and gems they located in certain areas... And thus you start in those certain areas, to find more ore and gems.

quote:
0 Points - Insult the King's Mother

Also one less dwarf at start, because the dwarf that insulted her was executed.  :D
Quote from: Max White
"Have all the steel you want!", says Toady, "It won't save your ass this time!"

Majestic7

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2006, 05:54:00 am »

quote:
Originally posted by odd2k:
<STRONG>

Sounds like the only sensible solution if you ask me. Still, I think being able to change your enviroment like that makes the game to arcadish.</STRONG>

Arcadish? By that logic, isn't being allowed to choose starting equipment and skills of your dwarves "too arcadish"?

I think the best way to do this advantage/disadvantage thing would be to require the player to choose one disadvantage for each advantage. That way, a player could choose to ignore this option completely. Of course, this would mean that the advantages and disadvantages would need to be carefully balanced.

Pacho

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2006, 06:32:00 pm »

It just seems really weird being able to change the composition of things that couldn't be changed unless the mountains were actually dwarf-made.  The starting items are simply what you bring to the new environment, not what you make the environment out of.
The socio-economic advantages/disadvantages I think are a good idea though.
Pages: [1] 2