Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6

Author Topic: Transcendence: Inspired by StarControl2 and Nethack  (Read 15111 times)

LostEnder

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Transcendence: Inspired by StarControl2 and Nethack
« Reply #60 on: March 30, 2010, 01:33:44 pm »

So, I finally finished the vanilla game with the Sapphire, after much WTF-ing and about 100 resurrections (many to test ID really pricy items).

I'm looking into playing some mods, but I'm skittish because most of the time user-added content is really out of balance, especially with a small community like this one.  Of the previous list, Total VUI looks likely, as does captain's log and nav beacons. Mostly because they just give the player some more information, not really more abilities or powers.

What I'd like to have though, are additional content mods, or, ideally, a total conversion that isn't horrendously imbalanced.  Have you guys found any that are good?

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 30, 2010, 01:39:09 pm »

Try the one that unlocks all the default game ships, its quite fun to jump into the strongest ship in the game and get revenge on the starting space ports. :)

And if you are looking for added difficulty, try playing as a tiny fighter. ;)
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 30, 2010, 05:20:00 pm »

Freehold of Haven, Weapons Extended 3, Encounter Expanions, and Unaligned Pirates are all good for adding a little bit more danger to your game.

The only real alternate gameplay mod I know of, is the Playable Ares mod. There aren't any finished total conversions for Transcendence, yet. Azar_Wolf has been working on his TX2 mod for quite a while, though.
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 30, 2010, 06:38:21 pm »

when i discovered this game a couple years ago, it was already pretty old.  there had been a large modding community that had started tons of projects, and pretty much not finished any of them.

There were lots of ambitious things like larger more detailed systems, landing on planets, more dynamic factions and trade, post heritic mods, all kinds of stuff.  none of it was finished, working, or even still in development.

its pretty much still the same way.  a few things have been updated, people have updated their dockscreen modder's tools for the latest versions (basically a modded in cheat-console) and some of the overpowered god-mod ships are still in.

but really nothing that really makes the game any more fun to play.  which is kind of a shame, given how much data and scripting is exposed to the users, and how much potential is there.

maybe it will see a revival now that version 1.0 is released, but you might be better off waiting another 10 years for version 1.5 or 2.0 to include that content for you, than waiting for the modding community to write something.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Utter Insanitiy]
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #64 on: July 20, 2011, 12:02:21 am »

Bump because this game is awesome.
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 20, 2011, 12:05:53 am »

Not that I don't agree, but... that was a bad bump. You added no material to the thread whatsoever. :-\
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: July 20, 2011, 03:53:41 am »

Well, he could have mentioned it's past version 1.0 now. :D

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #67 on: July 20, 2011, 05:25:22 pm »

Now I have stuff to contribute. Get these two mods:

http://xelerus.de/index.php?s=mod&id=929

http://xelerus.de/index.php?s=mod&id=848

And this for extra aesthetics:

http://xelerus.de/index.php?s=mod&id=760
I really want that one as a "when". I want "grubs", and "virgin woman" to turn into a dragon. and monkey children to suddenly sprout wings. And I want the Dwarven Mutant Academy to only gain their powers upon reaching puberty. I also have a whole host of odd creatures that only make sense if I divide them into children and adults.

Also, tadpoles.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 22, 2011, 12:58:49 am »

Alright, I have to ask.

I'm seeing a lot of mods for versions past 1.01, but I can't find anywhere to download patches or anything else for versions past that. Am I just being blind?
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: July 22, 2011, 01:06:13 am »

Beta versions are not released on the main website. You can find them on the announcements sub forum.

I'm quite sure this mod is not compatible with anything later than 1.03, since it overwrites entire stations, not just the images.
I think it's a vastly amusing thought that elephants are so afraid of heights that when Dwarves invented the Z-axis, they couldn't bear to face dwarves in combat anymore.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 22, 2011, 01:31:30 am »

I tried this.  Couldn't get into it.
It just....  doesn't sit right with me.
For being in development for 5 almost 8 years, apparently, I'm seeing a lackluster amount of polish on anything.
The GUI fills my entire screen, but the game doesn't?  What?  (So you started development back when higher resolutions weren't common, and the GUI extension is just a fluke.  Okay, but why can I not run the game in a window and avoid that massive useless border?)
The gameplay seems really jerky.  Not because of FPS or something, but stuff just doesn't flow, for lack of a better term.

I don't know.  It should be a good game, as I'm a fan of this sort of thing.  But I just can't get into this one.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Vucar Fikodastesh

• Bay Watcher
  • Grand Master Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 22, 2011, 01:43:54 am »

You can make a shortcut with the "/windowed" parameter to launch it in a window.

puke

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: July 22, 2011, 09:27:38 am »

The gameplay seems really jerky.  Not because of FPS or something, but stuff just doesn't flow, for lack of a better term.

I don't know.  It should be a good game, as I'm a fan of this sort of thing.  But I just can't get into this one.

It's jerky because everything is done with sprites.  your ship isnt a 3d model, its a flat picture of a 3d model and when you turn it is chaged to be a slightly different picture of a model.  AI ships tend to have far fewer facings than player ships, making them more jerky. 

Which is why the mod that lets you play the super-AI ships sort of sucks if you dont use omni-weapons -- you cant aim at anything if your motion is so jerky. 

the game has potential, but also some really bad design decisions.  Games like WIERD WORLDS use 2d sprites for ships too, but they rotate the entire sprite on the screen instead of using unique images for each facing.  the result is smooth motion without the overhead of 3d rendering.  also, the Transcendence developer's justification for the large useless border when fullscreened was that allowing more visibility would "be like letting people with larger resolutions cheat."

so yeah, bad design decisions. but i dont think he ever intended to make his living in game development, so i feel a little bad about bitching about a free game that is pretty much a labor of love.  not bad enough to stop my bitching though.

beorn080

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: July 22, 2011, 09:53:08 am »

Maybe it's because I grew up with the NES and SNES rather then an xbox or playstation, but the graphics are fine to me.

I'm actually having a fairly lucky game so far. 3 units of photosynthetic armor, which is self repairing in sunlight, a solar panel, which refuels me in sunlight, and a massive amount of money from mining in the first system let me upgrade my reactor twice. Plus a trio of early auton's makes me incredibly hard to kill.
Ustxu Iceraped the Frigid Crystal of Slaughter was a glacier titan. It was the only one of its kind. A gigantic feathered carp composed of crystal glass. It has five mouths full of treacherous teeth, enormous clear wings, and ferocious blue eyes. Beware its icy breath! Ustxu was associated with oceans, glaciers, boats, and murder.

Djohaal

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My deviantart
« Reply #74 on: July 22, 2011, 04:07:22 pm »

Beta versions are not released on the main website. You can find them on the announcements sub forum.

I'm quite sure this mod is not compatible with anything later than 1.03, since it overwrites entire stations, not just the images.

It does, I'm using it atm.  ;)

Also, tadpoles.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6