Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Military unit movement optimizations...  (Read 591 times)

Skyrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Military unit movement optimizations...
« on: October 06, 2006, 01:42:00 am »

Would it be possible to add a command which tells a military dwarf that when he/she is on active duty and is NOT standing down, he/she has to go to a specific spot and stay rooted there.

Reason for asking is that it would be nice to have just a tiny bit more control over your military units so that you can maximize the useage of your fortress design. Marksmen dwarves should make full useage of fortified spots and melee units should make better useage of chokepoints. Of course, when an enemy gets really close then they should probably charge automatically - say one or two tiles away from a foe.

Also there is the patrol-function. Instead of it creating a circle, when you've added at least 3 points, why can't you have it a simple linear function and then close the patrol cirle in whichever way you see fit yourself OR decide that you want them to walk back and forth between this particular path.

GauHelldragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Military unit movement optimizations...
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 01:48:00 am »

you can already do all those things.

Skyrage

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2006, 02:08:00 am »

Where? I've looked through all the menu's and I can't really find any "stand ground" command anywhere - just a station command which isn't the same thing - and as for the patrolling, I can't seem to make a non-circular patrol-route.

Enlighten me, please!

odd2k

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2006, 03:39:00 am »

He probably meant the station command, yeah. You could of course go into squad options ([m][v]) and make them stay near station instead of attacking, and ignore animals. At least it will make them a little more stationary.

karnot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2006, 08:07:00 am »

But they will still charge. The only way to "stand ground", is put them in a fortified room and lock the door.