Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: Inspiration and suggestions required!  (Read 2080 times)

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
Re: Inspiration and suggestions required!
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2009, 11:12:37 am »

You should make a great effigy of the creator Toady, himself! Extra points, if it is large enough to have a zoo, where no one is aloud and inside roam Toads but no frogs!
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2009, 11:16:26 am »

Fully automated waste disposal system? How would that work?
That's basically up to you, my system uses flowing 3/7 water to wash items into an atomsmashing bridge setup. All I have to do is configure the stockpile to accept what I dont want. Since water is a scarce resource on your map, the real challenge would probably be in preserving the circulating water; every little bit that gets atomsmashed would probably hurt.

Seriously, I dont know how exactly you're collecting the rainwater, but I'd probably start there, seems like a challenge to me:
I'm crazy for all kinds of water-utilizing contraptions, and so, for a start I'd perfect my water collecting system.

IceShade

• Bay Watcher
  • YOUR HEAD ENGSMSPLODE
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 16, 2009, 11:33:40 am »

The current 'system' of marking items for dump, then having dwarves drag it all to a dumpzone and then having the dumped goods crushed by a bridge seems a whole lot easier and more efficient.. :P

I wish there was a way to get rid of all those damn goblin clothes they leave behind though. If only I had magma. I'd build a magma device to spew it all over my entrance and burn the remains.

So far I'm going to build a military tower over one of the paved roads, near the primary gate (well, I have three, but there's one where all the caravans arrive and all that). It could double as a fortification on the second level where marksdwarves can shoot from. It's a shame that ballistas can't fire a Z-level up or down.

I guess I could build a hammer building, or something, but what purpose would it have?

A second building would still be the common but pretty cool execution tower. Possibly with a pit. Any other ideas what I could put in that tower to dub it a "tower of anguish"? Remember, no water or magma!

ZergSpartan

• Bay Watcher
  • OH GOD BEES
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 16, 2009, 11:37:02 am »

Build a "Space Elevator" (Tower) to the top of the map, then build a network of "Bombardment Satellites" up there, each one should consist of a living pod for a single dwarf, and lever connected a 3x3x3 chunk hung from the satellite by a pillar. Siege/traders come, and let loose the chunks, smashing the fools!

Rocks fall, everybody dies. has a smashing good time!
"Yeah. My plan was to drop some kittens into the siege, and have my dwarves freefall into battle, landing on top of the kittens. The plan was kinda dumb though because the kittens were standing on grates, and the goblins killed them with arrows just as I was releasing the freefalling dwarves. So the dwarves weren't able to land on kittens and just fell and died."

Tallefred

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 16, 2009, 11:47:28 am »

My waste disposal system is the river that flows through my fortress. When it freezes I dump all the waste from the year on it, and when it defrosts it gets carried away. Of course most of it decomposes long before that, but it's good for anything which is non-biodegradable, ie a pollutant.
This is to make me recognizable.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 16, 2009, 01:41:06 pm »

Dumping is for noobs  ;D Too much micromanagment.

It needs a stockpile and from there the stuff needs to be destroyed automatically. Everything else is just kobold style, and totally un-dwarven  ;D

IceShade

• Bay Watcher
  • YOUR HEAD ENGSMSPLODE
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 16, 2009, 01:59:47 pm »

Durr, what?

d-b-d, unpause. Done.

What micromanagement?  ???

And it only takes one tile!

In any case, I have no need for garbage disposal systems. I need more ideas for my tower of anguish! As a third system I could probably place a drawbridge in there to launch unwanted elves/goblins, like sonerohi mentioned.. but no rocks!
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 02:04:10 pm by IceShade »

ousire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 16, 2009, 04:48:08 pm »

May I remind you that I'm nowhere near a river, underground river, aquifer or brook. Everything is from rain.. and no, I'm not going to cheat by turning weather off when it rains. That's the whole point of settling in a desert (and borderline savage lands); to create a challenge for you and your dwarves.

i never said that :P i said to do it the hard way! gather all the water whenever it rains, with no mods. otherwise its not proving your dwarvenly might!

IceShade

• Bay Watcher
  • YOUR HEAD ENGSMSPLODE
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2009, 04:57:03 pm »

May I remind you that I'm nowhere near a river, underground river, aquifer or brook. Everything is from rain.. and no, I'm not going to cheat by turning weather off when it rains. That's the whole point of settling in a desert (and borderline savage lands); to create a challenge for you and your dwarves.

i never said that :P i said to do it the hard way! gather all the water whenever it rains, with no mods. otherwise its not proving your dwarvenly might!

You didn't, the guy after you did :P

Tomorrow I'm going to design/draw/plan/whatever the new military structure and the tower of things-that-hurt-and-arent-quite-pleasant. A 3x3 arena as suggested in a different thread will be in place to make sure the creatures will fight each other.. I'll drop a mod into the next world to make goblins less chicken-shit and more ooorrraaah tough. Also including a drawbridge to launch unwanted visitors, *cough* elves *cough* and their crap out of my compound, a suicide section for the melancholic dwarves (which ill probably never have) and to execute goblins, and such. Or perhaps nobles. And if I can manage to assign a goblin to a chain, I'll have a ballista execution chamber set up as well.

And maybe a good ol' pit with lots of 10 disk traps.

Thanks for the suggestions  :D

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 16, 2009, 06:23:42 pm »

What micromanagement?  ???
depends. if all your unwanted stuff turns up in one small confined space, but what if some things are over there, and some are over there? I like to have an area where all kind of non metal clothing, usable or unusable, ends up. Or friggin non metal arrows... basically ALL the crap that can turn up ANYwhere. I like a clean and tidy map  ;D

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2009, 09:05:22 am »

Double helix towers. Build two towers that spiral around each other and are connected via 1-tile bridges/floors.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Dorfus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2009, 09:51:43 am »

Aw I wish I'd done a helix tower :(

IceShade

• Bay Watcher
  • YOUR HEAD ENGSMSPLODE
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2009, 10:44:36 am »

Double helix towers. Build two towers that spiral around each other and are connected via 1-tile bridges/floors.

Ooh, now that sounds interesting. I'll have to give it some thought and come up with a 'design'.

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2009, 05:09:37 pm »

Let me know how it works out. I'm planning on doing it in my current fort.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Tigershark13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2009, 10:08:42 pm »

hmmm.... i like the toad idea... BUT IS IT POSSIBLE *thinks*
Pages: 1 [2] 3