Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: Inspiration and suggestions required!  (Read 2082 times)

IceShade

• Bay Watcher
  • YOUR HEAD ENGSMSPLODE
    • View Profile
Inspiration and suggestions required!
« on: April 15, 2009, 02:11:44 pm »

It's the year 222 now, so about 22 years after I started digging the ground. I first lived completely underground, then made a small structure with some fortifications to defend myself.

I have recently decided to expand my territory and fortify a large area with gates and walls all around.

In any case, here is the situation:

The larger structure on the right is my pump/aquaduct building and transfers water to an underground reservoir. The flatter structure it is connected to was my original building after I decided to expand above ground. It currently houses the statue garden, trade depot, military supplies and barracks.

On the left, the long flat structure is still under construction (well, just the roof). This is my ballista range, where I have a bit of fun with ballistas against tight groups of goblins in the event of a siege/ambushes. I've pretty much done away with the traps, though I have put an artifact mechanism to use in there with 10 large serrated disks.

Anyway, I have a lot of unused open space. Currently, I have a part of it marked for large wood, stone and refuse stockpiles, so it isnt entirely unused.

What could I possibly build here? What I am thinking of is a military structure for all their supplies, catapults for siege operation training and of course the barracks, but this hardly fills up the entire compound.

Perhaps a second option is a suicide tower I come across in many forts, but since I've taken care of every mood requirement and dumped a few artifacts in the dining room, the amount of melancholic, mad and utterly depressed dwarves has dropped by 100%.

I could use some suggestions!

Little note: I have no magma, and water is only acquired through rain transferred by the aquaduct.
Farms have been taken care of through greenhouses. Random crap/mood items are stocked in an underground "warehouse", (bed)rooms have been provided for, and tombs are suitably located deep underground.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 02:19:40 pm by IceShade »

Marko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Roomies
Re: Inspiration and suggestions required!
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 02:14:03 pm »

So many things... so little time...

I'd suggest maybe a complete military housing so that military dwarves could live indefinitely on the surface. Above ground farms are nice if you got some plants from traders. Really any space can do whatever you want, just use your imagination!
Hm.
WHERE IS THE SAVE?
AN HOUR LATE?
OFF WITH HIS HEAD

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 02:29:10 pm »

Perhaps you might try to make a zoo.
The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
The Status Quo has been struck down!

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 02:31:41 pm »

Rock block tower with a drawbridge on top. Fling rocks at people.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Vampire Penguin

• Bay Watcher
  • Forced on the bandwagon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 02:35:46 pm »

I always make a barracks/armory/weapon & ammo storage/hospital/Captain's quarters/archery range/siege training/freaking big tower in the space right above the entrance to my fort. You could try creating a military tower near the gate or entrance, so your military is always ready for an attack. This also allows for some extra protection against cave adaptation.

IceShade

• Bay Watcher
  • YOUR HEAD ENGSMSPLODE
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 02:42:40 pm »

Perhaps you might try to make a zoo.

To be honest, I already have my dining room and an above ground statue garden.. The last thing I need is another "The Child Urist McMyGirlJustWantsToPartyAllTheTime has organized a party at the *<<Iron Cage>>*. :P

Rock block tower with a drawbridge on top. Fling rocks at people.

So, like a catapult? :P I kinda already have my 'kill people with big stupid machines' thing. Ballistas!

I always make a barracks/armory/weapon & ammo storage/hospital/Captain's quarters/archery range/siege training/freaking big tower in the space right above the entrance to my fort. You could try creating a military tower near the gate or entrance, so your military is always ready for an attack. This also allows for some extra protection against cave adaptation.

Yeah, I had something like that in mind. Barracks, weapons, armor, ammo, archery, siege training including an impressive design I'll have to come up with. The captain's quarters is a good idea, though. I just dumped him in a random room. I have a "hospital" already by my well, but since they get put in random beds, this doesn't work. Heck, the last wounded (that was a noble that got her arm ripped off by a ballista. It was not an accident) was put in a jail bed and a was about 100 tiles further away than the actual hospital beds! Dwarves...

grendel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 08:32:07 pm »

maybe an artificial lake/pool, surrounded by a statue garden. build a couple of towers around the city walls and make a castle. put a moat around your city walls. make a waterfall entrance around the city gates, and than finally build an artificial mountain from stone blocks that surrounds the entrance to the underground fortress.
GENERATION 26:
The first time you see this, copy it into your signature on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.

24 felsite is bring you baby to repel the goblin siege day.

Therosfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 08:50:17 pm »

maybe an artificial lake/pool, surrounded by a statue garden. build a couple of towers around the city walls and make a castle. put a moat around your city walls. make a waterfall entrance around the city gates, and than finally build an artificial mountain from stone blocks that surrounds the entrance to the underground fortress.

Only problem with that grendel is the lack of a water source. As IceShade stated all water comes from rain.

ousire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 10:24:52 pm »

pfft. why bother with those boring suggestions when you can prove your dwarvenly might with an insane super construction?

fill the whole area with a massive labyrinth! bonus points if its made from something like obsidian or other stuff you have to trade for! super bonus points if its made from soap!

or, everytime it rains, get all the water and save it up underground. once you have enough, make your own lake! or make an underwater fortress!

Kidiri

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2009, 07:35:50 am »

or, everytime it rains, get all the water and save it up underground. once you have enough, make your own lake! or make an underwater fortress!

Just turn weather off when it starts raining and you've got yourself some permanent rain. And nobody has mentioned the obvious: an arena. Build a large or circular arena with some pseudo-random traps, floor hatches, floodgates etc. I would have it flood with magma/water, but seeing you don't have magma and water is very difficult to obtain, It's best to leave this function out. Pit your enemies against each other, or against your military or dwarves you think need punishing.

Other than that: giant tower, giant death trap, giant mosaic, giant anything, really.
Veni, Vidi, Pompeii.
Soylent Green is kittens!
Sometimes, when my Dorfs are exceptionally stupid again, I wonder what exactly the [INTELLIGENT]-tag does.

Nerserus

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2009, 08:26:55 am »

Well, how about a BLENDTECH 3000!

Have weapon traps with tons of Green Glass Discs at the bottom of a 2 z level drop.

Just throw disgusting tree hugging hippies elves down the "pit" (which is above it)
and TA-DA, puree elves.
*Opens the hatch to the blender*
Urist Mcdwarf: Elven smoke, don't breathe this! :)
stack of 10 prepared dragonfly brains - I'm trying to imagine what's more funny: a dwarf popping a tiny dragonfly brain into his mouth for a snack, the butcher who actually prepared this feast, or the brave hunter who ventured out into the wilderness and returned with this bounty.

IceShade

• Bay Watcher
  • YOUR HEAD ENGSMSPLODE
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2009, 08:53:20 am »

I already have an arena, but it's a disaster. Every dwarf is powerful enough to rape an entire siege (excluding bow squads). Wildlife doesn't attack goblins at all, so it's pointless.

What I also noticed is that every captured goblin won't stand and fight. They try to run away, off the map. They think they're still part of an ambush/siege that went wrong, and everyone retreated.. and when they retreat, they just run and don't bother with anything else.

In my underground gauntlet, I had two dogs versus 10 goblins. 3 got to the next room, 7 got mauled. Not a single dog was injured. Something is definitely wrong there.

May I remind you that I'm nowhere near a river, underground river, aquifer or brook. Everything is from rain.. and no, I'm not going to cheat by turning weather off when it rains. That's the whole point of settling in a desert (and borderline savage lands); to create a challenge for you and your dwarves.

Puck

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2009, 10:37:44 am »

My alltime favourite:
_fully_ automated waste disposal system.

In any case, you can always try to come up with a system that will -also automatically- teach each and every dwarf how to swim, properly.

Failing that, you can always dig away everything apart from the tiles you need for your fortress.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2009, 10:54:02 am »

Armoks hammer.

IceShade

• Bay Watcher
  • YOUR HEAD ENGSMSPLODE
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2009, 11:02:26 am »

My alltime favourite:
_fully_ automated waste disposal system.

In any case, you can always try to come up with a system that will -also automatically- teach each and every dwarf how to swim, properly.

Failing that, you can always dig away everything apart from the tiles you need for your fortress.

Fully automated waste disposal system? How would that work?

.. and swimming is out of the question. No water to waste and let's be honest, there's nothing but dirt and camels out here. They can't drown.
Pages: [1] 2 3