Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help me get GCS on fortress mode  (Read 1030 times)

CautionToTheWind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Help me get GCS on fortress mode
« on: April 15, 2009, 12:30:05 pm »

Hi i have been playing this for a while and love it and all that. Recently i have read several threads where people mention what nasty stuff they did with their GCS and i feel serious envy!

I have found all sorts of stuff in my year or so of playing but never a single GCS. I have looked in caves, chasms, botomless pits, regular maps, volcanos, good, evil, hot, cold, etc.

I would like some tips on how to find an area with GCS. I seem to remember some way using adventure mode...

When you reply, please take into account i never played adventure mode.

ElChad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Help me get GCS on fortress mode
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 12:44:31 pm »

A good way is usually finding chasms. They are the most likliest of places to find a GCS. If you check around here, you'll find a topic talking about Dwarf Heaven, start there and you should find one crawling around. They are invisible untill something finds it (be it any unit that it'd attack) or it finds you. Great tell tale sign is their webs.

moosejuice

• Bay Watcher
  • It ate Urist...WHOLE
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 04:46:08 pm »

Be careful, if you happen to run into one while not prepared it will kill everybody Generate much fun!
Its very similar to Gravity.

The denser the dwarf, the more likely he'll survive his stupidity...

mjo625

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 05:07:43 pm »

Sounds like you're just having bad luck. I almost always find one in a bottomless pit. You're checking the right areas, if you really want one just keep trying. That said, for all the hype they're given I really don't think they're that great. Yes GCS silk stuff is good, but pig tail stuff is sufficient for more mundane needs like bags and rope, which is where most of your cloth is going anyway, right? If you really want it, you can keep importing GCS silk thread from the dwarven caravan, just make sure you're making actual clotes out o fit and not bags.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 05:57:19 pm »

Embark on locations with chasms and bottomless pits, and look for giant cave spider webs on the stock screen. Eventually, you'll find one, and then it will eat all your dwarves.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 07:49:05 pm »

When you want one, dig to the bottom of the map, from right next to the pit, then build a giant spiral staircase up to the top, and force people to run through it, until the GCS attacks.

Mzbundifund

• Bay Watcher
  • Doesn't play adventurer mode
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 08:16:08 pm »

If you don't mind altering the raws you can set [FREQUENCY:100] and have much better odds of generating one.  If that's not enough Fun for you, try adding a [CLUSTER_NUMBER:4:6] tag.  You'll be getting 20+ in a single chasm.

CautionToTheWind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2009, 06:24:51 am »

Thanks for the replies.

Foa: So the GCS hang in the air inside the bottomless pits? I thought only flying creatures could do that.

Jim Groovester: the stock screen tip seems great. I often find regular cave spider webs near the chasms but no GCS webs. I never looked in the stocks screen for that, but will when i get home.

CautionToTheWind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2009, 11:09:22 am »

Embark on locations with chasms and bottomless pits, and look for giant cave spider webs on the stock screen. Eventually, you'll find one, and then it will eat all your dwarves.

In what section of the stock screen are spider webs?

Elvang

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2009, 11:23:04 am »

Under thread, the first item on the 3rd page.
The Practicalities of Fire Imp Defense
Tileset fonts for dfterm/telnet
Win 0.34.11 SDL with 7 binary patched bugfixes
Quote from: They Dig
I have come here to drink booze and breach HFS... and I'm all out of booze.