Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5

Author Topic: Fun with chemistry!  (Read 4717 times)

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
Re: Fun with chemistry!
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2009, 09:35:22 pm »

Pottery is hard.  Magma pottery!
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2009, 10:20:26 pm »

Pottery was an early addition to the dev notes.

# Bloat77, CLAY, MUD, ADOBE STUFF, (Future): Can use the kiln, have glazes, etc. Bricks.

Odin

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 26, 2009, 04:43:42 am »

Ok then, so someone else had the idea already. No big surprise there.

What I propose though (and might have been raised before) is that you can use some of the less used metals, such as mercury and cobalt, for instance to make glazes for pottery and stained glass.

Silverionmox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 26, 2009, 08:56:38 am »

Kaolinite, microcline and orthoclase have some notes about pottery and porcelain in the raws. Dwarven porcelain is so self-evidently a desired good in the world.
Dwarf Fortress cured my savescumming.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
  • Beware those who would keep knowledge from you.
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 26, 2009, 01:41:04 pm »

Ok then, so someone else had the idea already. No big surprise there.

What I propose though (and might have been raised before) is that you can use some of the less used metals, such as mercury and cobalt, for instance to make glazes for pottery and stained glass.

I've got a few of these in my mod, in the form of alloys. I really don't know how to proceed with them as glazes, but I think it's a fine idea to introduce them into the game.
For they would be your masters.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2009, 07:49:55 pm »

acids are a joke as they are simply washed away by water, lye is a base which bonds to your skin and doesn't wash off. now mercury would be useless as wtf would dwarfs need it for. water and cods already kill them. sense toady injected gas poison raws to the game now some ideas could work.
*bloody inhaled lye!*
*bloody turn into a blood puddle!*

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 26, 2009, 08:18:14 pm »

Fire can be washed off, but curiously enough, that's in DF.  Acid isn't as simple as you make it sound, either;  you need a constant strong flow to wash it out of certain areas, and strong acids could do a great deal of damage before a victim got to a good enough wash station, given how they don't have very good plumbing.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 26, 2009, 09:09:51 pm »

Besides which, acids and mercury are useful in a variety of mining and refining processes. Primitive ones, too, not just the fancy modern industrial varieties.

Not to mention mercury's use as a novelty. It's a room temperature liquid with all sorts of shininess. What's not to like?
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 27, 2009, 01:59:54 am »

Not much, other than the horrible rotting insanity/death element. If someone ever comes out with a non-toxic version of (or something very similar to) mercury, I believe it'd be a success.

Refined (crystallized) sugar would be another historically appropriate task for the alchemist's shop. The method was first discovered in ancient India.

Here's a page about the history of sugar, and at the top of the page is a link to a detailed explanation of the refining process:

http://www.sucrose.com/learn.html#ptop

teres_draconis

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 20, 2009, 06:16:33 pm »

Commenting to several things here...

I like cobalt glass. I really do. And stained glass, too, but we (I, anyways) don't want to start seeing stained glass windows except possibly as artifacts. I mean, a cobalt window, sure... a cobalt glass goblet, definately! But the only time /I/ think dwarves would put different colors of glass together would be when they're decorating, in which case it's still a +«+crystal glass window+»+ ... it just has a finely-designed image of squares in cobalt glass by <your dwarf here>.

Stained glass windows with pretty pictures in it seems a lot like water colors. Something an elf might do, but no dwarf worth her (or his) beard would be caught dead doing it unless possessed by unseen forces.

As for pottery. It doesn't seem like it would be that different than glass. You define an area as a clay collection site. You maybe have different additives as slip (liquids that changes the color/quality of the outside of an unglazed pot, could also be used as glazing ... the ingame glass equivelent is crystal and pearlash)... you make it at a kiln. You're done. You have pottery mugs, pottery crafts, pottery instruments. Easy peasy. You don't even have to use a potters wheel, since there are other (less famous) ways of making clay objects that work reasonably well. (I prefer rolling out sheets of clay and then folding them into the shapes I want, personally). Clay blocks as building materials have been used for ... well, how long /have/ bricks been around?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 20, 2009, 06:38:08 pm »

Multicolored windows are already possible via gem windows, so I don't think stained glass would be a stretch even for dwarves.

There's a current thread discussing pottery here (this one is a bit vintage).

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 20, 2009, 06:41:57 pm »

Stained glass windows with pretty pictures in it seems a lot like water colors. Something an elf might do, but no dwarf worth her (or his) beard would be caught dead doing it unless possessed by unseen forces.

You fail to take into account that they could make pretty pictures of dwarves slaughtering elves or goblins or dragons out of said colored glass.

And that, my friend, is incredibly dwarven.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Lymojo

• Bay Watcher
  • [SPHERE:SMARM][PREFSTRING:pendulous balls]
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: May 21, 2009, 04:02:06 am »

I hate to sound like a jerk, but you guys do realize that you could probably save Toady some time and effort by modding this in yourselves, right?
Sure, a lot of this stuff, like lye gas and using acid to engrave probably requires some hard coding.
However, it's really, really easy to add new types of reactions and stones with new properties by simply tinkering with the raws. For example, you could easily add an asbestos stone, enable it for strand extraction, and give it high melting, boiling, and ignite points.
Also, while I don't think it's possible to assign an image to a window, it's very very possible to make a stained glass window. A gem window can be composed of up to three different gems, including cut glass, and I believe will actually flash to display all three colors. Windows are furniture, so you can then encrust them even further at a jeweler's shop.

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: May 22, 2009, 04:35:21 pm »

A gem window isn't stained glass, though, in construction or necessarily in use.

I mean, sure, we can simulate some of these things now by modding and stuff, but that doesn't mean suggesting them as more fully-implemented game features is a *bad* thing.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==

SirHoneyBadger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: May 22, 2009, 05:01:36 pm »

I'd just like to state that I really don't like "gem windows" in their current incarnation.

I'd prefer if they were replaced by gem lenses, the aforementioned stained glass windows, and a wider variety of "glass" substances--which could easily-and more realistically-include certain (typically semiprecious) gemstones.

Having the pane of a window made from a single ruby or an emerald, let alone from a diamond, just seems silly to me (sorry, but it does), and it takes away from the value rare and precious gems should have.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5