Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Artifact-creation priorities.  (Read 615 times)

Aquillion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Artifact-creation priorities.
« on: October 06, 2006, 12:46:00 am »

I've noticed that artifact weapons and armor are very, very, rare.  Why is this?  Simple.

All the metalworking skills are listed under a single job, so when the player assigns a dwarf as a metalworker, they'll do all of them.  And unless the player goes insane with creating weapons, they're going to be forging many more day-to-day things (coins, flasks, chains, barrels, etc) than they will weapons.  Since the same dwarves handle all of these, the player's dwarves will always be better at the 'day-to-day' metalcrafting skill than at the ones used to make weapons and armor.  Result?  A bunch of artifact trinkets.

This doesn't make much sense to me.  Even if a blacksmith spends much of their time making horseshoes, and only gets the occasional chance to make a weapon, their pride and joy would usually be the weapons, wouldn't it?  They're red-blooded dwarves, not hobb--  halflings.

So I think that if a dwarf has any significant armor or weapon-crafting skill, they should have a high chance of skipping over their more prosaic abilities and selecting that as the skill to use when they decide to create an artifact, unless the gap between it and their true highest skill is very very wide.

[ October 06, 2006: Message edited by: Aquillion ]

We don't want another cheap fantasy universe, we want a cheap fantasy universe generator. --Toady One

bbb

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Artifact-creation priorities.
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2006, 03:32:00 am »

...dual weapon wielding?

i've not yet played long enough for the dwarves to stop holding artifacts in their hands rather than using them.. to make them useful. (i suppose aside from as weapons)

would be nice though.. at least it's a lot lighter than lugging a cabinet around wacking animals anyway.