Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: Ok, What is Going On Here?  (Read 5299 times)

PheonixIV

Ok, What is Going On Here?
« on: April 15, 2009, 05:34:32 am »

My system is currently assigning 3 cores to dwarffort.exe.

According to the little diagnostics thingy dwarffort.exe is using ~10% of those three cores (it's a small fort.)

If i open up a bigger one, dwarffort.exe gets up to around 5 - 6 cores assigned to it, which it apparantly uses to about 70 - 80% each.

If i exit dwarf fortress, the load on the cores immediately drops away.

I have been informed that this is imposible.

So, to sum up my question; Wut.

No seriously, Wut? What the hell is going on here? Seriously, this is freaking me out now.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2009, 03:02:52 am by PheonixIV »

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Help I Have Too Many Crafts
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2009, 05:40:28 am »

you could always stop making them, right?
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Hagadorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO-GIFTS] [NAUGHTY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2009, 05:43:10 am »

Thing is that Making crafts is a good way to clear up that unsightly left over rock from your mass mining.

An option is like Kote said, Stop making 'em.

Another option is stock stockpiling them. just leave em in the workshop, when it gets too cluttered to make anything, deconstruct it and build another one.

OR!

Offer the crafts to your dwarven caravan and your Human Caravan...

Kill the elves. Drop bins full of craft on top of them...
You see, booze is a parasite. It lives off dwarves and compels them to dig into the ground so as to create massive defences to protect it's self. It really shouldn't be called dwarf fortress, Booze fortress would make much more sense.

PheonixIV

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2009, 06:19:05 am »

But then my 8 ledgendary Stonecrafters wouldn't have anything useful to do; all the other jobs in the fort are full, i don't even really need more thralls.

Plus they're doing a fine job of clearing out all the stone lying everywhere.

I think i'll just offload a few hundred thousand worth of crafts onto the next dwarf\human caravan that passes by. No doubt the traders will have a heart attack of joygasm right then and there, but it will be amusing.

I havn't started killing Elves yet, they brought a bunch of wierd and wonderful animals inna cage the last two years, so long as they keep that up i shall let them live. I now have three tame giant eagles, two tame GCS's, a pair of tame fire imps, a tame magma man, a half dozen tame antmen, a tame jaguar, two tame giant scorpions and, oddly enough, a tame tentacle demon.

I don't even want to know what the elves were doing with a tame tentacle demon, but it's mine now. No doubt my dungeon master will be immensely pleased when he or she turns up.

death

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2009, 06:22:06 am »

But then my 8 ledgendary Stonecrafters wouldn't have anything useful to do; all the other jobs in the fort are full, i don't even really need more thralls.

Plus they're doing a fine job of clearing out all the stone lying everywhere.

I think i'll just offload a few hundred thousand worth of crafts onto the next dwarf\human caravan that passes by. No doubt the traders will have a heart attack of joygasm right then and there, but it will be amusing.

I havn't started killing Elves yet, they brought a bunch of wierd and wonderful animals inna cage the last two years, so long as they keep that up i shall let them live. I now have three tame giant eagles, two tame GCS's, a pair of tame fire imps, a tame magma man, a half dozen tame antmen, a tame jaguar, two tame giant scorpions and, oddly enough, a tame tentacle demon.

I don't even want to know what the elves were doing with a tame tentacle demon, but it's mine now. No doubt my dungeon master will be immensely pleased when he or she turns up.
* death faints.
* death wakes up.
Ah it was just a dream. Wait. It wasnt!!  You bought two GCS off the elves. The best animal they brought me was a black bear. Everything else was mules, cats, cows and donkeys. You lucky person.

The strength of the pack is in the Wolf. And the strength of the Wolf is in the pack.

PheonixIV

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 06:24:51 am »

Personally i reckon the Tentacle Demon was a better purchase. I've decided to let the GCS's roam wild and free and they seem to be amusing themselves by waiting on the left side of the map for the yearly snailmen, slugmen and animal migrations and eating them.

Hell i didn't even know you could tame Tentacle Demons.

Also i'm fairly sure there's a wild GCS in my bottomless pit, since when i started there was a level with 7 Antmen in it that was covered in GCS webs, webs that had vanished the next time i looked there.

Oddly the Antmen survived for two years before two suddenly died of mysterious causes. I plan to drain the underground river into that level of the pit and see if the frogmen and snakemen in it set the GCS off.

Alternately i can just throw some dwarves in.

death

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 06:26:24 am »

Send your best army members out. Or send out your rangers.

The strength of the pack is in the Wolf. And the strength of the Wolf is in the pack.

PheonixIV

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 06:29:14 am »

Don't have an army, i have a pair of tame GCS's, three tame Giant Eagles, a tame Tentacle Demon, two tame Fire Imps, a tame Magma Man, half a dozen tame Antmen a tame Jaguar and two tame Giant Scorpions.

Who needs a goddamn army?

I also have a semi-catsplosion happening so no rangers, don't need em, the entire fort is living off plump helmets and kitten biscuits.

I do have a soap maker though, he's not doing anything useful except hauling, and i have twenty thralls so i can stand to lose a couple.

I'll drain the river into there first and see if that works tho.

Martian

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 06:58:42 am »

Your legendary stonecrafters should have ridiculous stats by now. Try recruiting them and form an army. Simply buy armour off the dwarven caravan.

PheonixIV

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2009, 07:23:13 am »

Your legendary stonecrafters should have ridiculous stats by now. Try recruiting them and form an army. Simply buy armour off the dwarven caravan.

Excellent idea, i have them training with platinum warhammers now.

I realy don't need an army though, just had an Orc invasion, the entire left side of the map is now plastered in webs, flailing Orcs, Slugmen, Snailmen and random wildlife while my tame GCS's scamper all over the place biting things and spraying more webs everywhere.

If i wasn't already drowning in high quality rock crafts i'd see this as an excellent time to make money for the fort, since my fortresses' worth just topped 800k by the end of the third year, i don't think i really need to make more money for the fort quite yet.

Draining the underground river into the bottomless pit revealed that i was incorrect, there is not a GCS in the pit on the Antmen level.

There are three. And a fourth one three z levels below them.

And they've covered the entire pit about four layers deep in webbing, webbing that is now full of frogmen, snakemen, lizardmen and alligators.

The Human caravan also just left with ear to ear grins and just over 400k worth of stone crafts in exchange for a bunch of cages and good quality steel chainmail (yay, something worth buying!) equalling nearly 300k profit for them. No doubt their home civilisation will crap itself when that caravan comes back.

The Elves came back as well, brought me another tame Tentacle Demon (seriously, what are those Elves doing?) a tame Spirit of Fire, a breeding pair of tame Jaguars, three more tame Giant Scorpions and 11 tame Antmen.

I'm seriously considering modding Antmen to be war trainable and making myself an Antman army.

Oh, some Goblins just showed up and have joined the Orcs wiggling around like fools in the GCS webs. Twenty Orcs, two dozen Goblins and about ten Slugmen and Snailmen along with butt tons of random wildlife like Elephants and, oh hey, a Unicorn, are now wiggling around in those webs. Half of them are paralysed by venom, the other half have had major limbs bitten off, the GCS's are running around like loons biting things at random. Best investment i ever made.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 07:25:11 am by PheonixIV »

Airpi

• Bay Watcher
  • PREFSTRING:whimsy
    • View Profile
    • I say things. Often.
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2009, 07:39:16 am »

Is there something weird in the history of those elves that you know of? Did they enslave a bunch of demons at some point? Because I'd love to have elves show up with gifts like that.
⊂(゚ヮ゚⊂⌒つ    ⊂(゚ヮ゚⊂⌒つ

Elliott_Thinas

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2009, 07:40:22 am »

Have you modded your elves at all, because they sound like the BEST ELVES EVER (*shudder*). They tamed a Spirit of Fire!?!
Check their inventories for beards.
I got me a breeding pair of Han Solos.

PheonixIV

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2009, 07:55:16 am »

Actually the Elves are one of the few things i havn't touched in this version. Along with Humans and Demons. I've poked most of the other creatures to make them appear more frequently, which probably explains the four GCS's in the bottomless pit.

I eagerly await to see what the Elves will bring next year.

Also, amusingly the tame spirit of fire still has it's firey aura work on everything, but not when it's in a cage. I decided to chain it up at the entrance to my fortress, dwarf ran over, let it out and my booze stockpile (which was next to the cages) instantly exploded.

Reloaded an earlier save and am now in the process of setting up a pit for him to live in, which i can wash any Orcs, Goblins or Kobolds into with water, assuming any ever get past my pet GCS's of course.

--EDIT--

Slight update, a Titan just showed up, he avoided the GCS's and ran into a cage trap. I intend to pit him against my Spirit of Fire and see who wins.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 07:57:44 am by PheonixIV »

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2009, 08:36:36 am »

1. Make a stockpile outside for the crafts.
2. Let the kobolds steal the bins.
3. ???
4. PROFIT

I remember hearing that once kobolds successfully stole things, then they'd come in larger numbers next time based on the profit. Let them take the stuff you don't want, then bathe the halls in blood once they've stolen all the exterior goods and come inside.

PheonixIV

« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2009, 08:52:16 am »

The Kobolds can't steal anything; they keep getting eaten by Giant Cave Spiders and Antmen.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4