Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Ok, What is Going On Here?  (Read 5292 times)

death

• Bay Watcher
  • The Wolf
    • View Profile
Re: Help I Have Too Many Crafts
« Reply #15 on: April 15, 2009, 08:53:17 am »

Put out the save. I need to see this fort. It sounds amazing.

The strength of the pack is in the Wolf. And the strength of the Wolf is in the pack.

pushy

• Bay Watcher
  • [MEANDERER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 15, 2009, 09:25:32 am »

Personally i reckon the Tentacle Demon was a better purchase. I've decided to let the GCS's roam wild and free and they seem to be amusing themselves by waiting on the left side of the map for the yearly snailmen, slugmen and animal migrations and eating them.

Hell i didn't even know you could tame Tentacle Demons.
Without modding, you can't. Of the other creatures you mentioned, you also need to mod the game to get tame Antmen, Fire Imps, Spirits of Fire and Magma Men.

By the sounds of it, you've modded your game so that every creature has either the [PET] or [PET_EXOTIC] token.
Quote from: Tim Edwards, PC Gamer UK
There are three things I know about dwarves:
1. They've got beards. Even the women.
2. They're short. Especially the women.
3. They're Scottish.

Vampire Penguin

• Bay Watcher
  • Forced on the bandwagon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2009, 02:47:03 pm »

Magma?

Lord_Shadow

• Bay Watcher
  • [UNDEAD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2009, 02:57:25 pm »

Don't have an army, i have a pair of tame GCS's, three tame Giant Eagles, a tame Tentacle Demon, two tame Fire Imps, a tame Magma Man, half a dozen tame Antmen a tame Jaguar and two tame Giant Scorpions.

Who needs a goddamn army?
I also have a semi-catsplosion happening so no rangers, don't need em, the entire fort is living off plump helmets and kitten biscuits.
I do have a soap maker though, he's not doing anything useful except hauling, and i have twenty thralls so i can stand to lose a couple.
I'll drain the river into there first and see if that works tho.

gots a quote
Urist McCarpenter cancels rest: QUITSCREWINGWITHMAHBUCKETSYOUSONOFABITCHES!!!
Urist Mccarpenter has gone stark raving mad!
Urist McWalrusCarpenter cancels rest: Has u seen mah bukkit?!

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2009, 03:05:52 pm »

If you offer items of WAY too high a value in a trade (Trader Profit : $$$$$!) the caravan will bring more goods next time. So I'd spend these crafts to buy whatever the hell I wanted. Steel Pick? Sure! Why not. It does not work this way if you offer the items as a gift.

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2009, 03:09:28 pm »

But then my 8 ledgendary Stonecrafters wouldn't have anything useful to do; all the other jobs in the fort are full, i don't even really need more thralls.

Plus they're doing a fine job of clearing out all the stone lying everywhere.

Simple answer is to build a couple of catapults and train up your stonecrafters on siege operating. They'll clear out the stone, continue to raise stats, and if you find need for ballistas, you'll have some legendary operators to work them.

Porpoisepower

• Bay Watcher
  • For Surely he is the Cuisinart Hat Rack
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2009, 04:01:38 pm »

Did you modify the SOF and TD to be war trainable?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
That's what DF needs, The gutbuster brigade.  Screw that elf and his cat. Thibbledorf Pwent is the real hero.

PheonixIV

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2009, 08:58:48 pm »

Personally i reckon the Tentacle Demon was a better purchase. I've decided to let the GCS's roam wild and free and they seem to be amusing themselves by waiting on the left side of the map for the yearly snailmen, slugmen and animal migrations and eating them.

Hell i didn't even know you could tame Tentacle Demons.
Without modding, you can't. Of the other creatures you mentioned, you also need to mod the game to get tame Antmen, Fire Imps, Spirits of Fire and Magma Men.

By the sounds of it, you've modded your game so that every creature has either the [PET] or [PET_EXOTIC] token.

Yeah, i did that ages ago in like my 4th fort when i set up next to a Chasm that had literally 60 Antmen in it and was all like "Awesome! Butcherable Nonstandard! Tame em and eat em!" then discovered they weren't edible.

So i just ran through the raws and added [PET_EXOTIC] to all the animalmen as well as a bunch of other random critters, didn't think i'd added it to Demons though, although a cursory check of the raws shows that yes i did.

Also just modded Antmen to be war trainable, the last 3 Elven caravans each brought between 12 and 24 Antmen, 1 - 3 Tentacle Demons and random other creatures, including a second Spirit of Fire.

My two GCS's finally went down to a weighted mass of Orcs that promptly fell into my Tentacle Demon Pit and were eaten and i'm currently constructing an elaborate defence with the Spirits of Fire to set everything ablaze.

I'm also build an Antmen hill which i will populate with my 71 strong Antmen army, for the lols.

If you offer items of WAY too high a value in a trade (Trader Profit : $$$$$!) the caravan will bring more goods next time. So I'd spend these crafts to buy whatever the hell I wanted. Steel Pick? Sure! Why not. It does not work this way if you offer the items as a gift.

Yeah, found that out with the Human caravan came back with 40 pages worth of items. Ffffuuu-

Therosfire

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2009, 09:00:45 pm »

I've poked most of the other creatures to make them appear more frequently.

This. I read this and as soon as I did, I did that to my game. I also switched GCS to appear it any mountain biome. Judging by the amount of GCS silk around I have at least 2-3 running around.

I so can't wait. Only problem is I keep getting messages like this if I leave my fortress for even a few moments.

Urist McHauler has canceled action: playing a game of Running Man with GCS

Noble Digger

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2009, 09:34:14 pm »

Thing is that Making crafts is a good way to clear up that unsightly left over rock from your mass mining.

No, it's pretty much the worst way to deal with extra stone. Each stone is a single hauled object. Making crafts turns it into three hauled objects. Clutter, gradual FPS loss, etc... All those crafts get hauled off by the caravans and continue to exist, loaded onto mules and wagons, at the home site of the merchants (abandon and go check it out in adventurer mode). Unless you're really hurting for dwarfbucks, trying to meet demands, OR you want to make crafts as a fortress theme\goal, you oughtn't ever make any.

The most efficient way to get rid of stone is catapulting it into a solid wall, or quantum dumping it all on a single tile. In either case, the stone is moved out of the way or utterly destroyed with only a single job (loading\firing the catapult, or dumping the stone) rather than 4-6 jobs. Then again, you needn't always do the most efficient thing in every situation.
quib·ble
1. To evade the truth or importance of an issue by raising trivial distinctions and objections.
2. To find fault or criticize for petty reasons; cavil.

PheonixIV

« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2009, 10:18:08 pm »

Bad news, apparantly 3DS Max conflicts with DF, and by conflicts i mean causes computer to crash and corrupt every single file it had open at the time.

Fortunately i didn't lose any work as i backed it all up last night, unfortunately i didn't think to back up DF as well and it appears to have taken out half the system files along with the world i had open at the time.

In a word; damn.

Oh well, when i finish reinstalling the various programs i had running in the background that corrupted i'll grab a new version of DF and start my next project.

I think the Human Challenge sounds fun, either that or maybe i'll see if i can get Antmen as a playable race.

Also, do not mod Antmen to breed, holy hell, don't do it. You thought a Catsplosion was bad.

salttotart

• Bay Watcher
  • Ackbar is always right!
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2009, 12:10:41 am »

Ok, I might sound a little inept, but what is 3DS MAX so I don't make the same mistake in the future.
If this all doesn't fix it, your dwarfs are lazy. Apply magma.
"And thereafter, all dwarven children were taught to mind their stools, lest the toilet-fiends snatch their souls from their bottoms"
Try rubbing a cat on it, that seems to help.

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 16, 2009, 12:36:00 am »

3D modeling program. Expensive ($3495), but well worth if from what I've heard.

salttotart

• Bay Watcher
  • Ackbar is always right!
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 16, 2009, 12:38:21 am »

LOL, ok, so something I most likely won't be running into anytime soon.  Still weird that a program like that would problems with something like DF.  WEIRD...
If this all doesn't fix it, your dwarfs are lazy. Apply magma.
"And thereafter, all dwarven children were taught to mind their stools, lest the toilet-fiends snatch their souls from their bottoms"
Try rubbing a cat on it, that seems to help.

PheonixIV

« Reply #29 on: April 16, 2009, 12:45:24 am »

It is very odd, but Max is very CPU and GPU intensive, i suspect it may have maxed out my cores while starting up (it's very good at using everything it can get, and since i do alot of graphics work i usually give it like 80 - 90% of my system resources) and DF ate the rest, causing compy to run out of CPU, freak out and explode.

But that's just a theory, i'll never know for certain, but i aint running Max and DF at the same time again.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4