Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Different Mthodes to "bury" Dead  (Read 2290 times)

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Different Mthodes to "bury" Dead
« on: April 14, 2009, 04:33:19 pm »

Sup, how about dwarfs get "into afterlive" by the way there god dictates.

Like;

Utrist McNorthGod dies and gets buried with two gold coins on his eyes.
Utrist McArmok     dies and gets buried in a tomb where a cow gets sacrificed.
John  McNeptun    dies and gets his covin droped into a body of water.
Utrist McChaos     dies and gets his coffin set on fire
Utrist McChrists    dies and just gets burried. Boring

Successfull matching "burial" will grant happnies to other dwarfs that where his friends/lovers -> "Has attained a well done funreal lately"

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
Re: Different Mthodes to "bury" Dead
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 05:06:11 pm »

Your spelling aside I think this seems interesting.. I like the tantrum spirals and the difficulties they create however so I'm not sure I want them to feel good about themselves because they buried the bastard. If you put that kind of upside to it there should be a downside to.

How about if the dwarf DOESN'T get his burial the way he likes it.. it'd be awesome to have his ghost haunt the place. Not sure what the ghost would actually DO but ... I suppose it'd make noises creating "slept uneasily due to noise lately" and scare dorfs coming in to do other errands .. or flat out attack them.

Idunno. The whole "gold coins in eyes" thing open the door for graverobbers to visit your fortress doesn't it? That's awesome.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

vitaoma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 06:43:27 pm »

Urist McChaos  McHendrix   dies and gets his coffin set on fire.

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 06:57:14 pm »

Urist McArmok's Coffin is covered in blood and sails on a river of magma, to be given to fel goblins to be dispersed and to eventually muse an artifact.

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 11:44:04 pm »

Hey, maybe it will give Philosophers something to do.
If a dwarf gets buried with a philosopher giving a speech, the negative thought impact of a dwarf dying will be less.
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

Pilsu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2009, 09:08:54 am »

Burial habits usually aren't that diverse in a civ. Sure, there's some variation but one dwarf demanding to be turned into fine jerky and eaten while another just gets placed in a coffin is rather silly

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
  • DF is serious business!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 09:35:31 am »

So how would you know if a body is buried the right way? I'd rather not have to write a dwarvish bible just to figure out how to put bones into a coffin.

This seems like really needless micro-management, especially if you've got 20-30 dead dwarves from your last seige. Your dwarves are already on the verge of spiral, but now you've got to pause the game and try and match Urist McDwarf to burial A while Uris McDworf goes to Burial B and Urist McDawrf goes to...etc. etc. etc.

That would be annoying as can be. And to have the game penalize you because you haven't read up on the 200 Burial Rituals of Dwarven Religion would only make an already impressively intimidating learning curve that much worse.
Man, dwarves are such a**holes!

Even automatic genocide would be a better approach

Soadreqm

• Bay Watcher
  • I'm okay with this. I'm okay with a lot of things.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 10:42:30 am »

Well, the dwarves could do it automatically. The game decides a burial tradition for a civ based on gods, spheres and whatever else there is. And when the time comes to bury the dwarf, you'll just need to have whatever resources required to do the burial. Actually, even lack of resources need not be a problem, the dwarves could simply grudgingly decide that the whole gold coin thing was maybe symbolic anyway or something, and use coins made or rock instead. Or just pebbles, if they're really in a hurry. Having some funeral traditions the dwarves prefer over others would add some diversity to the current graves, and possibly give a reason to go grave robbing in Adventure Mode. It doesn't have to result in tantrums if you won't/can't do it right.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 11:44:01 am »

I like the idea, it also raises the question of what happens to bodies outside of fortresses though.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2009, 12:15:03 pm »

Maybe these special services should be unlocked by priest nobles (one for each god), and in case there's no appropriate priest the dwarf get default service (ie burial as it is now).
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2009, 12:57:59 pm »

I like the idea, it also raises the question of what happens to bodies outside of fortresses though.

The chasm creatures eat them and wreck their graves for fun the moment it becomes unguarded. 100% of the time.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2009, 10:30:21 am »

The family members could attempt to produce the needed things by using resources around the fort.

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
  • DF is serious business!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2009, 11:26:14 am »

I'll just throw this out here again: this sounds like incredibly tedious micromanagement without adding anything to the game.

One idea of "dwarves do it automatically" would basically mean that nothing really happens, just the flavor text when you look at a grave would change. This is probably the most usable idea from this thread, but again, how many times are you staring at coffins wishing that you knew how they were buried (as opposed to more useful information, like how they died in the first place. That's far more useful both from a game perspective and a story perspective).

Then comes the "you need to make gold coins and this and that and a bunch of little knicknacks to bury with your dwarves. This would be on the opposite end of the idea spectrum

1) If you give a dwarf a tomb, he'll stash stuff in there anyway. They all get buried with their favorite things IF you make a tomb for them. That's already a game mechanic

2) Needing valuable objects like gold coins to bury your dead? Why not just make it glass vials because it can be just as frustrating when your map has no gold. Then what, every dead dwarf causes double bad thoughts? Sure, let's punish the players extra because they don't have a random element on the map. This already exists with nobles and is a much hated game mechanic. That's why there are so many noble-killing devices so that players can avoid stupid mandates like "must be buried with gold pieces"

3) It's done by the priest of that god... have you looked at how many different dwarven gods there are? Again, you're adding a bunch of clutter ot the game for a game mechanic that is pretty sound as is.
Man, dwarves are such a**holes!

Even automatic genocide would be a better approach

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2009, 11:35:24 am »

I haven't seen a civilization with more than six or seven gods. So that means you'd just get six or seven useful nobles. The way I envision it, lack of burial and the standard burial would work as it is now, and funeral service conducted by an appropriate priest would provide a happy thought. Maybe make it so that these priest nobles are optional (kinda like the sheriff), and I see no reason why it should bother anyone. Plus, they could conduct marriages (if no appropriate priest is available, the mayor does it), bless soldiers when they go away on a campaign (which should be possible soon) and conduct regular service.
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

G-Flex

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2009, 10:37:05 pm »

I'll just throw this out here again: this sounds like incredibly tedious micromanagement without adding anything to the game.

One idea of "dwarves do it automatically" would basically mean that nothing really happens, just the flavor text when you look at a grave would change. This is probably the most usable idea from this thread, but again, how many times are you staring at coffins wishing that you knew how they were buried (as opposed to more useful information, like how they died in the first place. That's far more useful both from a game perspective and a story perspective).

It needn't just be flavor text or anything else so meaningless.

For instance, these might not all be suitably dwarven, but you can have civilizations who inter their dead, or eat them, or cremate them and keep them in urns on a shelf, or cremate them and just throw the ashes somewhere, or go throw them in the woods, etc. These types of differences WOULD be significant, would cause dwarves do have different needs/wants as far as this stuff is concerned, and, at least in these examples, wouldn't require some huge or obscure management investment on the player, certainly not more than simply building and placing coffins/tombs now does.
There are 2 types of people in the world: Those who understand hexadecimal, and those who don't.
Visit the #Bay12Games IRC channel on NewNet
== Human Renovation: My Deus Ex mod/fan patch (v1.30, updated 5/31/2012) ==
Pages: [1] 2