Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2]

Author Topic: Many questions - new arrival  (Read 1180 times)

cancel.man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Many questions - new arrival
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2009, 02:10:23 am »

Machines themselves can transfer power as well.
As an easier way of understanding power transfer: think of gear assemblies as telephone poles(that also send power up and down), and think of axles as long stretches of electric wires.
Right, but my vacuum cleaner doesn't power my television... they each have to be connected to power individually :D

But you're saying any adjacent machines can power one another?

Thanks for the clarification! I see far less complicated machine building in my future...
DF version 0.34.05 Lazy Newb Pack

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 16, 2009, 04:01:24 am »

But this is mechanical power, not electrical.  They don't power each other, but one (non-manual) power source is more than one machine needs, and the excess mechanical power can be used to drive something else as well.

Your car engine is connected to TWO wheels!  (4 in some cars - WOW!)

Think of a water wheel, a big turning wheel, with an axle out of it.  That shaft is then connected to gears, and can run more than one thing.  That's what's going on.  (Perpetual motion machines excepted.)

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2009, 10:16:03 am »

I actually opened and closed the river a bunch of times so I could suck out most of the monsters one or two groups at a time. The only downside was how long it took my other river to drain.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.
Pages: 1 [2]