Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6

Author Topic: Force Polearm: Strife's War Game.  (Read 7087 times)

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Force Polearm: Strife's War Game.
« on: April 14, 2009, 12:43:58 pm »

It was a dark, but clear night. The two transports skittered across the waves, unseen. Making contact with the beach, their doors opened and each disgorged a Bradley fighting vehicle. Eight infanty accompanied the drop off. The transports left as quickly as they came. A second later, some slightly slower transports landed, the ominous, squat shapes of a Main Battle Tanks arrived. Two tanks provide considerable firepower. The first pair of ships returned, landing two more. The platoon of tanks took up defensive positions. The second group of transports made a final run, landing a Command Track and a M728 Combat Engineering vehicle. Commander Strife got out of the Command Track and surveyed the area, keying his radio, “Okay then, Polearm force has landed. Let’s get the dozer working.”

This will be a little writing project that I’ll be running while I’m at this slow speech meet. The game will take place roughly in the world of Command & Conquer Generals: Zero Hour. Except for the interesting fact that we’ll be using the prospective general that I made, and I won’t be very true to the game. If you’d like to participate, write a short bio of your character, and what (s)he’s thinking. Imagine them as the characters in a community fortress.
Even the avatars expire eventually.

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Force Polearm: Strife's War Game.
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 12:59:20 pm »

It didn’t take long to get a proper command spot set up. One transport dropped off some heavy radio equipment and a truck for hauling stuff around. With a bigger set of transmitters running (and his backup command truck parked a decent distance away) Strife’s ability to communicate with his units was greatly improved. He had his infantry start to dig foxholes a bit away from the HQ. They’d be used to slow down any hostiles while he readied his armor.

Wanting even more forewarning, he ordered one of the Bradley’s (they were both M3 scout configurations) to move forward. They were well armed enough with their light Bushmaster cannon. He didn’t expect anything other than light hostile for now. The Bradley reported that the beach gave way to cliffs to the south and a forest to the north.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 01:22:58 pm »

The scouting Bradley entered the outskirts of the forest and looked around. “The trees are pretty thick here, although I might be able to pick through them. The heavies’d have to plow through, but I don’t think that it would be a problem. Nothing alive here though. Not even any deer.”

“Maintain your position Phalen. I’m now designating you as Long 1. Camp out, and tell me if anything changes,” Second Lieutenant Phalen would be on his own and unsupported, but he should be okay.

Rocks to one side and woods to the other. When he made his attack, he beasts would be annoyingly noticeable. Strife looked over the orders again:

Reports of sizable Global Liberation Army presence. Area lacks strategic value and is being used as a training camp. Expect some heavy weapon stores. Eliminate hostile forces.      

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Strife's War Game.
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 03:57:53 pm »

Construction of the base continued. A barracks was set up, with it came enough men to make up a platoon of dismounts. Strife was happy to have the additional flexibility that three squads (six fire teams) provided. Strife designated the squads as A, B, and C. A, the squad already in dug in was positioned in two separate foxholes. Each had a light machine gun in addition to the assault rifles. The seargent was in the southern hole, along with a portable anti-tank rocket. Squad B was going to get to work on the same thing, digging two more fox holes for its fire teams.

Squad C was tasked with being the reserve, and acting as the command for the platoon. The platoon commander was based with Strife in the HQ. The medic was working on setting up his supplies. The two fire teams of C would be tasked mostly with set up of the base for now.

Force Polearm composition:

SombreChapaeu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 04:13:30 pm »

((I can has tank pilot role in this C&C Gens. Gaem?))

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 04:16:39 pm »

((I want in on one of those tanks as well. :D))
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 04:39:37 pm »

((Do you need someone to play the part of the dastardly GLA warlord?

No really, hear me out.  I've studied insurgency tactics and culture, and I can at least convincingly act how they think.  I'll ham it up or tone it down as much as you like, and put up a realistic fight with the available forces.

Besides, you can't run the OPFOR all by yourself.  By nature, the GLA would be under the command of several loosely aligned local strongmen.  Just tell me what I have to work with.))

((Sorry, forgot brackets.))
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 04:45:21 pm by Aqizzar »
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

WorkerDrone

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey, if you can dream it, you can do it!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 04:50:52 pm »

Give me a corporal in one of those holes.

Since you asked:

Org

• Bay Watcher
  • Daring Hero
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 04:51:53 pm »

Ill be a sergeant

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 04:52:43 pm »

(Welcome to the game all. You are of course allowed to be the evil GLA overlord Aqizzar. I'll get telling you about you force outlook. Just remember that insurgency strategies lose something when you have the tanks here. I may or may not care about keeping the area safe in the future.

Prospective Tankers: You're both accepted, what would you like for posistions? The tanks will be called 1, 2, 3, 4. 1 is the platoon commander's tank, 4 is the Executive Officers (2nd in command). You could have either of the officers, or any Loader, Gunner, Driver or Commander in the tanks.)

(Gaweir will be in Squad A, Fire team 1, if that's okay)

(Would you like to be infantry, or something else Org)

(I've had to change this twice now)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 05:06:24 pm »

((ALLAHU AKBAR!))

((Wait, am I Arab?  Or Turkish or something?

Thanks for the post Strife.  Will you be PMing me my obviously proprietary force details?

By the way, in case you didn't know, the M728 was retired from active service a decade ago, for liabilities very relevant to this situation.  Unless you're taking some great liberties with the 'realistic' setting, or we're in Bosnia, you might want to retcon that.))
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Pandarsenic

• Bay Watcher
  • FABULOUS Gunslinger
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2009, 05:13:23 pm »

((I'll be the Gunner on the XO's tank.))
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 06:08:16 pm by Pandarsenic »
KARATE CHOP TO THE SOUL
Your bone is the best Pandar honey. The best.
YOUR BONE IS THE BEST PANDAR
[Cheeetar] Pandar doesn't have issues, he has style.
Fuck off, you fucking fucker-fuck :I

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2009, 05:23:23 pm »

(I'm also setting up a base in enemy territory after using an attack force made up of one platoon of heavy armor, against a largely unknown enemy. And the attack is commanded by a general. I'm taking some serious liberties. Bosnia would probably work. You can be turkish if you want. I set (using my patented random name generation system) you last name for Nogoya.

What was the major liability for the M728? I was under the impression that we stopped using it becuase it had trouble keeping up with modern armor. I was looking at it from the prespective of taking a General's Construction dozer and adding guns.)

(Okay Panda, it's usually XO though).

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2009, 05:34:11 pm »

((Maybe it would have been best to design the setting beforehand?  Just saying.

I'm not sure what nationality Nogoya would fit, but it appears to be Spanish.  When I mentioned Turkey, I was just trying to think of a place on Earth with deer and arboreal forests that an American armored company could land looking for terr'ists to kill and no one would notice.  Krasnovia I suppose...

Re: M728 - Yeah, I meant the mobility thing.  Trust me, if I'm going to running an insurgent force, I'm going to exploit every weakness, especially the ones I can find with a Google search.  It just struck me as odd to see such a long-retired vehicle mentioned, but if this is taking place in the 1990's or something it would make sense too.  But that would limit my Googling ability, and your technological prowess...))

Strife26

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2009, 06:43:02 pm »

(My intenet with it was to keep it in one place. This isn't going to be a protracted thrust. It'll be used mostly for base building, and in a situation like this, I rated the ability to defend itself (especially against dismounts, I like 50 cals) to be more valuable than being able to keep up with the Abrams. I don't have the logistical assets to keep up an armor offensive, so why should I worry about being able to keep my engineers going? If memory serves though, the M728 can keep up with M60 Pattons, so it's not that much of a slouch.)

(Maybe planning this more in advance might have been a good idea. Becuase I have neither the time nor inclination to do that, we'll be doing some tweaks to the world. The country will will be using is called Thaisnia. It's the size of Thailand about where Bosnia is. It is currently facing internal strife similar to Thailand, but with a primary group being Islamist in nature.

(I have a start written up for you Aqizzar, but I've locked myself out of my hotel room again (I was told mid writting that I have a semi-final round to go to right now), but I'll post it as soon as I procure another key (and maybe eat dinner). The GLA updates will go on here the same as the Polearm ones will. Commander Strife (that is, me) will be making high level tactical decisions so I'd know either way (obviously I'll try not the be biased, although you're going to be at a disadvantage here Aqizzar). Decisions on smaller levels won't be made by me (should the Tanks go left or right?). We'll have those things determined by PM responses.)

(Funny, I wanted this to be a nice, easy game to participate in).
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6