Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: How the new underground features and reveal changes will affect strange moods  (Read 2982 times)

marginoferror

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

According to the wiki, currently one of the main factors in deciding when you get a strange mood is how many underground tiles have been revealed.  Simply, the more you dig, the more moods you can get (there are other factors too).  The amount of digging required to get a mood is considerable, although exploratory digging is more effective at revealing tiles than digging out rooms.  I'm not sure what happens if you use a reveal tool.

I saw the unexpectedly large subterranean caverns in the screenshots today and wondered how they would affect the strange mood calculations.  The caves are easily large enough to house an entire fortress with minimal digging.  Will tiles inside caves be applied towards the revealed tile count?  For that matter, how are magma pools, underground lakes, etc. handled in this respect?

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile

Remember, moods also depend on other factors like population and possibly wealth. I can imagine dwarves getting inspiration from such giant caverns.

And Toady did state he will work to have features take into account 3D positions as opposed to the tile approach we have now. Still, I'm totally flooding those caverns with magma when the next version comes out.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Mount

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile

Still, I'm totally flooding those caverns with magma when the next version comes out.

It's the only way to be sure.

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile

What? So those caverns in the screenies from Toady are actually going to implemented into the game?!! I thought they were tests or something. Wow this is gonna be great
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

marginoferror

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

What? So those caverns in the screenies from Toady are actually going to implemented into the game?!! I thought they were tests or something. Wow this is gonna be great

I don't have any more information than anyone else, but I assume that if Toady's testing huge map-filling caves with off-map links, then that's at least one thing that will end up in the final version.  I could be wrong.  But I hope I'm not, because these shots look fantastic.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile

They are tests.  Tests for stuff that will be even cooler.

ElChad

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Sorry for my stupidity, but where are these pictures of caverns?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

oh my god. if those things get properly (re)populated it could revitalize adventure mode for me (you can only kill so many elves before it becomes dull).
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

oh my god. if those things get properly (re)populated it could revitalize adventure mode for me (you can only kill so many elves before it becomes dull).

Repopulating them properly is one of the specific goals for the new underground.  And yeah, creatures will be able to enter wherever the map edge intersects a cavern or whatever.

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile

Repopulating them properly is one of the specific goals for the new underground.  And yeah, creatures will be able to enter wherever the map edge intersects a cavern or whatever.

Does that mean if I somehow find an under ground gobblin road that I could see gobblins running through them. (I heard about the roads in an adventure mode wiki entrie.)
The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
The Status Quo has been struck down!

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile

Underground roads are incredibly boring so far, unless they go through an interesting feature. Hopefully these new implaments can make them more interesting.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Does that mean if I somehow find an under ground gobblin road that I could see gobblins running through them. (I heard about the roads in an adventure mode wiki entrie.)

No, it just means repopulation of native creatures, not of civilized ones.  Roads are kind of a separate system that probably won't be utilized properly until Toady does more with armies and caravans so that civilized creatures will move around with goals and stuff.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile

Any word on what's going to come through these tunnels? Because I vote
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

varkarrus

• Bay Watcher
  • Insanity and a knife go well together.
    • View Profile

Well... In forests, we can have

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Dip Stick! The newest candy! Just dip it, then lick it!
Or try FUBAR! The best chocolate bar ever!
And you can't eat them, either, sadly. Even though it'd make sieges so much more fun; dwarves lining the walls, drooling and carrying sharp knives and forks, ready for the upcoming meals.
Pages: [1] 2