Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Fortress massacred trying to save a cat...  (Read 1912 times)

XMotorX

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Fortress massacred trying to save a cat...
« on: April 14, 2009, 02:30:53 am »

Playing orc mod.  Fortress doing moderately well - 50 dwarfs (capped at 40, but last wave of migrants put me at 50).  Chasm, bottomless pit and a nice river thru middle.  Little wood, no coal, no magma - so my soldiers aren't wearing much.  Caravans (except elves of course) have been getting mauled by Orcs, so not much outside resources to help.  Still, I've got around 4 Elites as standing guard and about 15 regular dwarves have done some time and are my reserve force.

Orc invasion arrives - around 48 Orcs total in 2 or 3 groups.  I see our only kitty running *outside* with some remains as Orcs approach main gate.  It realizes it's in deep shit, drops remains and runs back to gate.  Should I pull the lever and lock kitty outside??? I decide "I can time it just right and save kitty, but keep out Orcs". 

Wrong!  6 Orcs make it inside, including Soshoram the Hammer Lord.  All but one of them are wearing lots of iron or steel armor.  As soon as Soshoram gets inside, he blasts the kitty across the room with hammer.  Call in my Elites!  Oops.  They're at the far northern gate (where I make dashes out to gather wood).  That's very far away - 130 squares.  I look around main entrance and see 6 of my ex-Military dwarves with some training.  I activate them all and hope for the best.  The hammerlord splatters them all over the walls.  OK - now I activate everyone and rush them  to the entrance.  After a short time, the sheer weight of numbers brings down the Orcs, but the casualties are horrendous - 24 dead.  Also, 4 wardogs died in the blink of an eye.

Then the tantrums begin.  Endless tantrums, doors, tables, chairs, beds, even farming plots get destroyed.  The dead bodies?  Everyones too busy to bury them, the upcoming miasma storm should make everyone even happier.

Of 26 survivors, 7 are wounded (only 1 seriously).  None of the wounded care much, they stay relatively quiet in their beds screaming for water and food which the others occasionally get around to.  Of the rest, 4 have gone stark raving mad and  2 have gone into melancholy so that's six walking corpses.

A mother wend mad, and apparently the father picked up the baby after she dropped it.  He went to the zoo and chucked the baby against the wall.  Baby is now crawling around the decaying bodies in the main room. 

The tantrums tailed off a bit, but the main room is full of rotting corpses - can barely see anything thru the waves of miasma.  5 corpses got hauled to burial ground and 4 corpses got put into coffins - and of course the precious kitty got one of them!

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Fortress massacred trying to save a cat...
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2009, 02:56:59 am »

None of the wounded care much, they stay relatively quiet in their beds screaming for water

haha classic line  ;D

timmeh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Portfolio
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2009, 03:28:56 am »

See, I wouldn't have had this problem, cause I would have seen the orc invasion as a perfectly good excuse to rid myself of a pet cat.

Funny story though, the bodies and miasma remind me somewhat of a miniature Boatmurdered.

Do you have a backup save?
On the Wall is a Masterfully engraved carving of Urist McHardcastle and Goblins. Urist McHardcastle is surrounded by the Goblins. The Golbins are stamping on Urist McHardcastle. Urist McHardcaste is laughing at the Goblins. The carving related to the prolonged and bloody death of Urist McHardcastle in the Fall of 1659, the Winter of 1659, and the Spring of 1660. On the engraving is an image of Cheese.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 03:30:06 am »

How can you survive with only 50 dwarves? .. and if your merchants get killed off they oughta drop some nice equipment for you, right?
Stealing from the dead has saved my ass more than once.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

XMotorX

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 03:55:37 am »

How can you survive with only 50 dwarves? .. and if your merchants get killed off they oughta drop some nice equipment for you, right?
Stealing from the dead has saved my ass more than once.

I've been playing 40 cap last few times and done ok.  A few cage traps, 4-6 Elite marksdwarves, and 10 Champion types have been enough.  Rest of my dwarves basically exist to keep the military running for next wave of orcs.  One or two skilled craft types to crank out items for trade.

As for the caravans, when even the first small caravans gets crushed, the later ones tend to have even less stuff.  Not much worth looting.  Keep in mind this was jut the beginning of the 3rd (4th?) year of my fortress too, so not a ton of development yet.  Found iron ore nearby, but was looking for coal ores.  And I had *just* brought in a good batch of wood from the north gate which was going to be turned into full suits of armor for my guard.  heh.

As a followup: 2 more stark raving mads and another melancholy - along with continuing tantrums and several of the earlier crazies dying from hunger/thirst.  Finally just stationed my last 2 military dwarves by the gate and opened it up.  They died under a wave of invaders. Game over, lol.

( I do have a save from a day ago, but that's no fun.  I lost it fair and square  ;D )
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 03:58:21 am by XMotorX »

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 05:19:48 am »

ORcs are insane, I toned them down after;

I had a pit with 28 Dogs (they where legendary comidians and liars
  (had Can_learn on)) and 10 Tame GCS.

One orc Squad killed them all (altough only 3 orcs remained, one only had his left arm left, but was still alive and the others did not look to well either.... But there where still 20 something orcs outside...

Martin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 10:52:19 am »

How can you survive with only 50 dwarves?

I'm on my 2nd immigration only fortress with orcs. It's tricky, but not impossible. The current fort has a drawbridge, 3 cage traps, 3 weapons traps and one dedicated marksdwarf. In each I've only lost children to invaders, no adults. It requires a lot more planning and consideration than a large fort with no traps and a small army of wrestlers.

The good thing about orcs is that they rarely have ranged units, so you usually have more options with how you want to deal with them.