Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Magma...  (Read 2615 times)

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
  • Expanding your universe.
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
Magma...
« on: April 13, 2009, 11:42:19 pm »

So I've seen pipes, I've seen pools. Underground, above ground. Rivers, lakes, ocean, eerie pits, chasms, other forts, been sieged...

I want to see a freaking lava RIVER! I just saw a video on like youtube where the guy had a lava river sorta thing going. I wasn't sure if it was flowing, but it was the standard circular pipe/pool...

How do you go about finding those?

I try to build on magma places a lot, but never come across those.
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Magma...
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 11:44:04 pm »

So I've seen pipes, I've seen pools. Underground, above ground. Rivers, lakes, ocean, eerie pits, chasms, other forts, been sieged...

I want to see a freaking lava RIVER! I just saw a video on like youtube where the guy had a lava river sorta thing going. I wasn't sure if it was flowing, but it was the standard circular pipe/pool...

How do you go about finding those?

I try to build on magma places a lot, but never come across those.

Lava rivers used to exist on every map back in the 2D version. I don't think it's possible to get them anymore. You could always make one yourself however!

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 11:52:35 pm »

The don't exist!!! =-C That makes me sad... cause they are way cooler than... vertical tubes...
I mod games and educate others how to do so as well, if you'd like to learn join my Discord and you can join a bunch of like minded individuals. (Presently modding Space Engineers and No Man's Sky.)

Looking into modding DF? This forum guide & wiki guide may still be a good start!

Vugor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 12:27:13 am »

wow, this is all very true and interesting

this makes me feel like playing the 2d version again

Haven

• Bay Watcher
  • Studiously Avoidant
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 09:34:26 am »

One can only hope those Underground Features coming in the next version include some nice magma rivers.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 09:50:09 am »

Now a few dozen forts will create lavarivers out of thin air and a lot of dwarfs will die in the heat. Hope your happy.

MarineMorton

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 09:51:25 am »

Dwarfs dieing in magma why would anyone be unhappy ;D

Of course Elves dieng in magma is what makes me really happy ;)

Shaostoul

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Shaostoul Patreon
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 05:33:08 pm »

Anything dieing by the firey doom that is lava or just fire in general is hilarious. Flaming babies more so.

jaked122

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:Lurker tendancies]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2009, 12:58:33 pm »

just so long as carp isn't in the river

Hoborobo234

• Bay Watcher
  • For the revolution!
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2009, 02:02:42 pm »

Magma Waterfalls = Epics
Rather than having them directly force you to mine adamantine, I would suggest that they give you strange moods that require adamantine. "Dig out the adamantine or Urist here goes insane and dies" is suitably vicious.

(It occurs to me that you can probably get "Lovecraft" as the random name of your fortress. That's when you know you're screwed.)

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2009, 03:14:00 pm »

I'm working on a magmafall at my entrance. It'll have windows at the front to keep the mist out. Hopefully.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Maggarg - Eater of chicke

• Bay Watcher
  • His Maleficent Magnificence of Nur
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2009, 05:25:12 pm »

Magmafalls don't make mist, unfortunately.
...I keep searching for my family's raw files, for modding them.

bombcar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2009, 05:51:11 pm »

just so long as carp aren't in the river

MAGMA CARP

E ain't got nothin' on MAGMA CARP.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2009, 05:54:32 pm »

Magmafalls don't make mist, unfortunately.

Actually, they do make magma mist if given enough (4-5 in my experience) z-levels.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2009, 12:00:02 am »

This is gonna be my next project: a big river of lava suspended in the air above my fort entrance, but the river-canal will be made of glass, and there will be a giant trapdoor for "invader deterrence" reasons.
Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.
Pages: [1] 2