Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Help an honest, (sorta) DF player defend his fortress  (Read 1632 times)

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
Help an honest, (sorta) DF player defend his fortress
« on: April 13, 2009, 11:01:24 pm »

See here first

So my request is that...

I   NEED   A   WAY   TO   DEFEND   MY  FORT.

I'm stuck between preserving the beauty of my land, hey I haven't struck the earth yet! Besides the places of the brook, apparently dismantling a wall on a brook tile makes sand... it looked ugly O.K! I also dug into this one pond area that looked like an area which a dwarf would dodge into but it still looks nice, might carve ramps and channels but that's about it. I also want there to be blood so it has to have an opening which would keep things interesting.

So yeah, any suggestions are appreciated, as well as feed back.
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

PotatoMuncher

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Help an honest, (sorta) DF player defend his fortress
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 11:19:42 pm »

Great fortress! I would suggest training more military units. trade stuff for weapons. I would say make traps, but they need stone to make mechanisms. You could always use war dogs, lots of war dogs.
I think we found the only thing stupider than a dwarf.
Ladies and Gentlemen; Wagons can run shit over.

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 11:20:58 pm »

Assuming you don't want to use traps, pretty much your best bet for an opening is to have a narrow, twisty passageway as the only entrance to your fortress. This does two things: the twistiness prevents your dwarves from getting chewed to pieces by enemy ranged units, and the narrowness prevents enemy units from effectively ganging up on you.

Of course, such an approach isn't especially aesthetically pleasing and wouldn't mesh well with your current design.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2009, 12:05:46 am »

You could use a moat (looks "natural" for a defencive construction) and then army dwarfs with crossbows (wooden bows wooden bolts) to shoot at anyone passing over a drawbridge or something.
Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Creamcorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [FANCIFUL]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2009, 12:12:23 am »

Personally I'd prefer both ranged and melee to be going on at about the same time. Also mentioning that I don't intend to have attackers just waltzing into my castle!
"OH NO! That carp is gulping at me menacingly, even though it cannot really threaten me from here on land!  I KNOW! I'll dodge into the water, where I'll be safe!"

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 03:26:45 am »

Arrow towers.

Also what's with all the captured animals?
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Marko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Roomies
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 04:19:44 am »

lots and lots of archers on a constant rotating shift overlooking a single entrance. And get some legendary wrestlers+armor users+shield users+weapon user melee dwarfs to slaughter whatever gets close.

Dang hard to make a fortress with no rock to make mechanisms!
Hm.
WHERE IS THE SAVE?
AN HOUR LATE?
OFF WITH HIS HEAD

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 05:15:53 am »

I use a "lock-down" system- Build raising draw bridges, when the enemy appears hit the leaver, all the bridged raise, create walls and only leave 1 entrance way left.

After evrything is over you unlock the fort and you get completly free movement again.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 07:25:34 am »

Construct some towers and station your marksdwarves there. Profit.  ;)

Captain Xenon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 09:29:37 am »

that looks a lot like starbug 1.... why not build the rest of jupiter mining corporations ship around it? aside from it being bigger than the entire map i mean....

Qwernt

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 09:44:49 am »

Make the entrance a long sweeping multi z-level bridge that spirals around the castle a few times... allowing a few bowmen the oportunity to unload a few times from different spots and give you plent of oportunity to get your melee troops ready.  Also move your Trade Depot to the top Z-level to allow all visitors the oportunity to see the majestic view of (what apears to be) the endless plain.

Zorgn

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2009, 11:55:09 am »

that looks a lot like starbug 1.... why not build the rest of jupiter mining corporations ship around it? aside from it being bigger than the entire map i mean....

I'm not seeing the resemblance at all, but building a giant spaceship gets my vote.

dood_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2009, 02:35:31 pm »

Can you build mechanisms out of glass? And can you build spikes out of glass? If so, a short little entrance with doors on either end, filled to the brim with spike traps hooked up to a lever. When a Gobbo and his chums walk in, seal the doors, and raise and lower the spikes as many times as you need to kill them. Then open the doors, and repeat.

If you can't do that with glass, then an underground drowning chamber that doubles as an entrance. Personally, I like building long, winding mazes, with a catwalk 2/3 z levels up for my marksdwavres, and the option of flooding the whole thing.
It seems very dwarven to use the hell itself as a garbage disposal. I can just see this isolated pile of goblin clothing, rotten food, and chunks of animals sitting there in a featureless plain, slowly cooking in the heat as demons pick at it.