Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Dwarves refuse to dump?  (Read 1428 times)

Kohou

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the Armok do you think I am?
    • View Profile
Dwarves refuse to dump?
« on: April 13, 2009, 09:29:26 pm »

I have 4 rocks in a spot that I'd like to put a road.  But I can't get my dwarves to dump them.  They've dumped all the rocks around them, but not those rocks.

I've tried forbidding/unforbidding then dumping/undumping and dumping again.  It's not that all my dwarves are busy, and I know they can path to the rocks...

What else can I do?
"Don't worry Urist, the spider can't hurt us! He's trapped in an invisible box!"

"Don't dig for you!  Dig for me who digs for you!  Yours is the pick that will strike the earth!"

Smew

• Bay Watcher
  • I'll kill you with my bear face.
    • View Profile
    • Deep Games for Deep Gamers
Re: Dwarves refuse to dump?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 09:32:26 pm »

Try making sure they are allowed to gather refuse from outside.
o>r>o

That is, assuming, those rocks are outside.
And on another note, if you unmark them for dumping and make sure they aren't forbidden, the dwarves will move them when they build the road.

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 09:34:50 pm »

dwarves will automatically move any stones in the way if they are trying to build a building.  It will not be moved if it currently has a job. Like dumping. Way to go.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Kohou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 09:50:42 pm »

dwarves will automatically move any stones in the way if they are trying to build a building.  It will not be moved if it currently has a job. Like dumping. Way to go.

Tried that first.  They wound up suspending it due to the item being in the way.  So I tried dumping it, but they refused to do that either.
"Don't worry Urist, the spider can't hurt us! He's trapped in an invisible box!"

"Don't dig for you!  Dig for me who digs for you!  Yours is the pick that will strike the earth!"

Walliard

• Bay Watcher
  • On Break
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 10:01:30 pm »

The stones are tasked for something. Try mass-forbidding then reclaiming them.
Toady, how much of DF is inspired by Labyrinth? Is Armok actually David Bowie? Because that would simultaneously be disturbing and awesome.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
  • Menacing with spikes of curmudgeonite.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 10:15:37 pm »

If the area is almost carpeted with stones, they'll boggle when they try to move them, since they have no immediate place to move them to.  If you can get them to move a few at a time before they cancel, eventually they'll get the job done.

Kohou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 10:22:12 pm »

Yah... no.  Doesn't work.  And Albedo, there's only 4 stones.  I'm beginning to think it may be some sort of weird glitch, so I'll just ignore it.  I'll have a couple stripes in my paved road.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 10:30:23 pm »

If the area is almost carpeted with stones, they'll boggle when they try to move them, since they have no immediate place to move them to.  If you can get them to move a few at a time before they cancel, eventually they'll get the job done.

I don't think this is true. My dwarfs will pile stones in the same square if they're building and they have no immediate empty square to put them in. The problem is definitely the stone being assigned for something else already. If you have lots of unbuilt floors or walls, or a stone craft or furniture tasked to a workshop that hasn't been built yet, that will cause this. As far as I know, you're stuck waiting until the relevant dwarf takes the stone or cancelling everything you're currently making out of stone.

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 10:33:49 pm »

Sorry, it was true for me, regardless of what you think. Took me about 4 tries, but my Trade Depot finally went in in a carpet of stones.  And afaik dorfs never pile stuff in the same square without a refuse area designated.

Kohou - <shrugs> Weird shit.  Probably a simple answer we're not seeing.

(edit - yep, I meant "dump area", but I was wrong - they do pile stuff when clearing an area for construction.)
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 04:17:36 pm by Albedo »

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009, 10:45:22 pm »

You mean dump area, right?
Well, I can guarantee I didn't put a dump site right beside my kennels just to get this screenshot and spite you.  :)
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Happens whenever I build underground. Can't think of any other way to explain it.

Edit: So you probably just had the same problem as kohou, Albedo. Stone tasked for a job your dwarfs are too lazy to do, so they're all afraid to move it and get buildin'. Sometimes it's even assigned to another, already suspended task, which is always a fun web to untangle.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 10:49:41 pm by kinseti »

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2009, 11:15:11 pm »

Noe of the stones had a "T" tag on them.  Try to come up with a solution to Kohou's problem, I solved mine already, long ago.

TettyNullus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2009, 11:21:35 pm »

Did you reclaimed the fortress? if you did, it's a known bug that items tasked before it fell gets kinda... stuck, you'll have to channel or unbuild the floor under it to drop it.

Raz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2009, 11:47:40 pm »

It's most probably tasked for another building.
"I can't wait to procrastinate!"

Albedo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2009, 01:38:51 am »

That's the obvious solutioin, but k already said that isn't it.

Yah... no.  Doesn't work. 

Kohou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2009, 07:03:06 am »

Did you reclaimed the fortress? if you did, it's a known bug that items tasked before it fell gets kinda... stuck, you'll have to channel or unbuild the floor under it to drop it.

Yes, it's a reclaim.  That may be what happened then.

Well, I had a mass tantrum spiral due to Olm outbreak anyway, so I pulled my "Bury the Depot in Lava" lever and scrapped it.  But thanks for trying to help everyone.

Pages: [1] 2