Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Another Why Won't This Race Spawn Thread  (Read 707 times)

Kohou

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the Armok do you think I am?
    • View Profile
Another Why Won't This Race Spawn Thread
« on: April 13, 2009, 06:19:14 pm »

So, I've started working on my playable races for my Redwall mod.  (I'm not going to mess with jobs right now, but I will set up their basic stats).  I've managed to get 2 out of the 3 races to spawn, etc.

But for some reason, I can't seem to get the third race to spawn.  I've tried 6 maps, and not once have they shown up.

Here's my Creature entry:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I tried spawning a couple times without the Extracts or new body part, without the modified attacks, and with the age + offspring set to Dwarven standard, so I don't think it's that.  Perhaps the personality?

Here's the Entity Entry:
I tried setting the biome/living types to human norms, just in case they were competing with the other races too much.

and here's the entry for the quills:
"Don't worry Urist, the spider can't hurt us! He's trapped in an invisible box!"

"Don't dig for you!  Dig for me who digs for you!  Yours is the pick that will strike the earth!"

dood_

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Another Why Won't This Race Spawn Thread
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 06:33:56 pm »

Hmm. Have you checked your error log? Or maybe they just die off in world gen? Have you checked legends? Also, maybe they just don't have a suitable site, like dwarves, for the first placement (I think...) need a non-savage, non-volcanic, non_evil site. After that you can go anywhere though.
It seems very dwarven to use the hell itself as a garbage disposal. I can just see this isolated pile of goblin clothing, rotten food, and chunks of animals sitting there in a featureless plain, slowly cooking in the heat as demons pick at it.

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 06:41:37 pm »

So, I've started working on my playable races for my Redwall mod.  (I'm not going to mess with jobs right now, but I will set up their basic stats).  I've managed to get 2 out of the 3 races to spawn, etc.

But for some reason, I can't seem to get the third race to spawn.  I've tried 6 maps, and not once have they shown up.

Here's my Creature entry:

I tried spawning a couple times without the Extracts or new body part, without the modified attacks, and with the age + offspring set to Dwarven standard, so I don't think it's that.  Perhaps the personality?

Here's the Entity Entry:
I tried setting the biome/living types to human norms, just in case they were competing with the other races too much.

and here's the entry for the quills:

As always, check your error log. If you've used invalid tags or something, it will show up there.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

Kohou

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the Armok do you think I am?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 06:48:59 pm »

Wow!  I didn't even know there was an error log.  I think I may have found the problem.  Apparently, there was a small mammal, also called Hedgehog, which was throwing it off.
And I also had misnamed Quills as Spikes in the Entity.
...They show up in world gen, but still don't seem to make it to civ map.

Thanks.  One other question now...  how do I get it to stop throwing errors I've already fixed back up in the error log?
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 06:52:59 pm by Kohou »
"Don't worry Urist, the spider can't hurt us! He's trapped in an invisible box!"

"Don't dig for you!  Dig for me who digs for you!  Yours is the pick that will strike the earth!"

Rysith

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 06:50:30 pm »

Wow!  I didn't even know there was an error log.  I think I may have found the problem.  Apparently, there was a small mammal, also called Hedgehog, which was throwing it off.
And I also had misnamed Quills as Spikes in the Entity.

Thanks.  One other question now...  how do I get it to stop throwing errors I've already fixed back up in the error log?

The error log isn't removed, so unless you remove it yourself it will keep all previous errors in it. If you haven't already, you'll also need to regenerate the world before the fixes will take effect.
Lanternwebs: a community fort
Try my orc mod!
The OP deserves the violent Dwarven equivalent of the Nobel Peace Prize.

FellMoodFox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 02:34:48 pm »

Oh, man, I did that with my burrow-making fox people... it managed to go all the way through worldgen with normal foxes as the leaders of the civilization, to the point where I embarked with seven normal foxes wandering around [before DF crashed].

It was funny, though, looking at legends and seeing every predator in their forest become an Enemy of the Civilization.
The denser the dwarf, the more likely he'll survive his stupidity.