Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Knife Wielding Dwarves  (Read 1098 times)

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Knife Wielding Dwarves
« on: April 13, 2009, 01:21:55 pm »

So, I'm using a slightly modded Dwarf Manager to enable my dwarves to use knives and bows and the like, and I'm wondering about my graphics set.  Any idea what the token would be to give a Knife User a different tile instead of the standard recruit one?  Are they considered thieves?

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Knife Wielding Dwarves
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2009, 05:46:05 pm »

Alrighty then, off to try it out on my own then.

EDIT:  They don't look any different than a regular wrestler.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 05:56:58 pm by Taritus »

Greiger

• Bay Watcher
  • Reptilian Illuminati member. Keep it secret.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2009, 10:17:29 pm »

Well I was gunna post, but my experience with graphics sets is limited. 

All I was gunna say is that I think knife users get thief.  Which you seemed to figure out yourself on the first post, so I wrote 90% of a post and changed my mind since it wouldn't be helpful and went someplace else.

Good luck.  Maybe you'll be able to figure it out.
Disclaimer: Not responsible for dwarven deaths from the use or misuse of this post.
I don't need friends!! I've got knives!!!

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2009, 10:24:25 pm »

80's greaser gang.

It must be done. With black shades.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 10:28:31 pm »

Knife User Or Thief is the job tag. Look in the sting dump for all possible profession names: http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/String_dump

Remember that they must become more than recruits in order for this to be used. Recruits all get the same graphics.

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2009, 08:04:04 pm »

I tried it out as a goblin knife user in adventurer mode.  Showed up as a goblin recruit.

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2009, 07:48:58 am »

I tried it out as a goblin knife user in adventurer mode.  Showed up as a goblin recruit.

are you using the basic mayday graphics pack? Because i'm pretty sure that doesn't come with knife profession graphics anyway.

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2009, 05:27:24 pm »

Dear god no.  There are other things than Mayday's, my child.  I use Plac1d's set, which I find to be one of the best.

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2009, 08:05:53 pm »

Dear god no.  There are other things than Mayday's, my child.  I use Plac1d's set, which I find to be one of the best.

There's no need to be condescending. If someone is doing the hard work for you, you can at least be polite.

After a more in-depth look, I can confirm the profession tied to knife use is [THIEF] and [MASTER_THIEF]. However, these are hardcoded and cannot be obtained in adventure mode (you'll note that in adventure mode you do not even spawn with a knife). I will do a quick test in fortress mode, but I suspect it is similarly impossible. The Thief profession is usually only given out to baby/item snatchers.

You could also always just set knives to use the sword skill.

*edit*

Fortress dwarves appear to remain as recruits, no matter their knife user skill. Guess you are out of luck here.
« Last Edit: April 15, 2009, 08:32:49 pm by Blakmane »