Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: Something solid is missing.  (Read 5308 times)

Nesoo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Something solid is missing.
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2009, 09:42:20 pm »

What's being referred to as a "medusa" is actually a gorgon; Medusa is the name of a specific gorgon. 8)
000508 □ [dwarf mode][flows] flooding over a full pond will kill the fish inside

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2009, 09:47:30 pm »

What's being referred to as a "medusa" is actually a gorgon; Medusa is the name of a specific gorgon. 8)

... *slap*
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 15, 2009, 04:38:23 am »

Naw there is little consistancy in mythology. Gorgons also sometimes refer to bulls that breathe poisons that turn people into stone.

BlazingDav

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 15, 2009, 06:07:53 am »

lol gorgon is one of those words lost in translation i guess, though different cultures have different impressions and i am familiar with gorgon being used in reference to bull-men more like a super minotaur, but Medusa is supposed be a more specific example of her kind, its easier to call her a snake woman at least i think her hair was supposed to be snakes and the lower half of her body a snakes tale

also i think the note that its specifically looking directly into the eyes of medusa an basilisks is supposed to induce the petrification *fancy word for being turned into a stone statue though or being fozen in mid-stance with no ice =/* so gouging the eyes of these creatures should stop their ability to petrify

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2009, 10:25:53 pm »

And lets not forget the blind dwarves who had their eyes gouged out and now serve as an elite team of marksdwarves who work part-time entertaining nobles, children, and kittens with their training drills...

I wonder if toad will ever include the ability to mod in ritual mutilation, like the tribe of dwarves who replace their left hands with ice-picks, or file their teeth into carp shapes, or the legendary dwarven-surgeon who can graft the top half of a dwarf onto the bottom half of an elephant...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Nivim

• Bay Watcher
  • Has the asylum forgotten? Are they still the same?
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2009, 01:29:13 pm »

I see about the arcs, I wonder why he calls them that.

How odd, the first three times I saw a "gorgon" it was a large metal bull, first time it looked mechanical, second time it appeared to be a beast of living metal with metal scales, third time it looked more like it was casted in metal, then animated. In all cases, it could apparently breath fire, and looking into its gem/odd eyes would cause instant death...but not stoning. The forth time I saw the name, it was on a medusa creature. I have never seen the super-minotaur though.
  Not lost in translation, lost in time. There spans about 2700+ years between us and the original story; do you think it would stay intact?
  Also, I think petrification is the wrong word, because that would turn every gazer into coal, not granite.
  Yeah, anything that can't see will unaffected. If the creatures own eyes are gone, it will lose the ability. Heh, blind marksdwarves, how many bystanders get shot?
  The mutilation and surgery sounds funny, but I doubt you could mix and match, too different on the inside. Even mixing blood of the same species (how many blood types?) is hazardous, this would be near impossible. Although, I would really enjoy seeing what happens when I take wings off of one creature and attach them to a dwarf.
Imagine a cool peice of sky-blue and milk-white marble about 3cm by 2cm and by 0.5cm, containing a tiny 2mm malacolite crystal. Now imagine the miles of metamorphic rock it's embedded in that no pick or chisel will ever touch. Then, imagine that those miles will melt back into their mantle long before any telescope even refracts an image of their planet. The watchers will be so excited to have that image too.

Jiri Petru

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2009, 01:56:08 pm »

lol gorgon is one of those words lost in translation i guess, though different cultures have different impressions and i am familiar with gorgon being used in reference to bull-men more like a super minotaur,
  How odd, the first three times I saw a "gorgon" it was a large metal bull, first time it looked mechanical, second time it appeared to be a beast of living metal with metal scales, third time it looked more like it was casted in metal, then animated. In all cases, it could apparently breath fire, and looking into its gem/odd eyes would cause instant death...but not stoning. The forth time I saw the name, it was on a medusa creature. I have never seen the super-minotaur though.

I think you guys are too deformed by American popculture.  :P I know Dungeons and Dragons, Heroes of Might and Magic, etc. have their own interpretations of what a gornon is, but you can't count these as sources. Aside from the modern popculture, I'm not aware of different gorgons than the Greek ones.

Sorry for the offtopic, I know it's irrelevant. No harm meant.

Yours,
Markus Cz. Clasplashes

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2009, 02:03:06 pm »

Yeah, HOMM is the only place I've seen the bull shaped ones.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2009, 03:47:38 pm »

The mutilation and surgery sounds funny, but I doubt you could mix and match, too different on the inside. Even mixing blood of the same species (how many blood types?) is hazardous, this would be near impossible. Although, I would really enjoy seeing what happens when I take wings off of one creature and attach them to a dwarf.
Cog Dwarf-Harpy cancels pwnage: Interrupted by pitchfork wielding mob.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2009, 04:15:32 pm »

Cog Dwarf-Harpy cancels pwnage: Interrupted by pitchfork wielding mob.
Damn Elves always have to ruin everything. I didn't even get to install the magma cannon yet!
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2009, 03:09:10 am »

Urist McSurgeon has been ecstatic lately: Admired own fine grafted elephant tusks, was horrified by own grafted grafted elven legs, was mauled by own fine grafted carp teeth...
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Read the First Post!

FluffyToast J

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2009, 03:26:03 am »

This sounds really cool.

Urist McUseless has been ecstatic recently. He admired a fine own statue recently. He got stoned recently.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2009, 03:45:28 am »

*dies laughing*
Read the First Post!

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2009, 09:23:35 am »

*dies laughing*
&fetches the corpse and hauls it off to the lab*

doot deet doot

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 18, 2009, 02:44:57 pm »

Well In my oppinion what this means is that there should be a method that if a creature has their flesh replaced with unmoving solid they should become a statue.

The problem is how do you seperate having stone skin and having your skin turned to stone? Though I guess it would have tags included.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4