Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: holding purring maggots  (Read 1634 times)

Teferi

• Bay Watcher
  • Planeswalker
    • View Profile
holding purring maggots
« on: April 12, 2009, 08:12:02 pm »

my map has purring maggots but whenever i go and store them I somehow lose them in a little while after catching them. anyone know how to keep them?
I think it'd be better to just throw him in a pit.
By pit I mean "ledge designated as pit some 30 levels above the ground water magma" and that would,as they say be the end of that.
Unless a sword/axedwarf gets to 'em.. then it's rhesus pieces...

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: holding purring maggots
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 08:22:21 pm »

Like you keep everything from moving solve every problem . Encase it in obsidian.

Teferi

• Bay Watcher
  • Planeswalker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 08:27:29 pm »

Like you keep everything from moving solve every problem . Encase it in obsidian.
hardy har har. I would like to milk the things
I think it'd be better to just throw him in a pit.
By pit I mean "ledge designated as pit some 30 levels above the ground water magma" and that would,as they say be the end of that.
Unless a sword/axedwarf gets to 'em.. then it's rhesus pieces...

Derakon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 08:34:34 pm »

You aren't losing them. They're getting eaten. For whatever reason, captured vermin are the first things that get eaten out of the food stockpile, instead of the last. Yeah, I don't know either.
Jetblade - an open-source Metroid/Castlevania game with procedurally-generated levels

0x517A5D

• Bay Watcher
  • Hex Editor‬‬
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 09:16:36 pm »

For whatever reason, captured vermin are the first things that get eaten out of the food stockpile, instead of the last.

I think it's because they're cheap.

I read somewhere on the forums or the wiki that when the economy starts, penniless dwarves will choose whatever food is cheapest and eat it for free.  A live large roach, for example, is worth 2 dwarfbucks.

The normal way to preserve vermin is to {forbid} them as soon as you notice their existence.  You will need to experiment to find out if they can be milked while forbidden.

Whatever you do, don't tame them.  The wiki says that tamed purring maggots can't be milked.  Either don't use the kennels' "tame a small animal" option, or lock the maggots up while taming other vermin.

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 09:34:18 pm »

try to tame and then milk. the wiki could be wrong ...

i suspect your cats eat the damn maggots too
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 09:00:03 am »

I think this is your problem.

WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 09:26:09 am »

Taming maggots makes them un-milkable.

So you're pretty much SOL, really. The only solution I can think of is to assign a single dwarf who hates purring maggots to be the trapper/milker and shut him off from the rest of the fort, so none of the other dwarves can get to the maggots to eat them.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Phazer

• Bay Watcher
  • This song is creepy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 10:28:04 am »

ive had several roaches but never seen them get eaten, does this happen when economy hits?
Dragon: My plan is foolproof! Those foolish dwarves cannot resist walking near lava! If I hop in, then they won't know what hit them! I'll just- AH! OH GOD! I WASTED MY LIFE!

Fossaman

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009, 10:37:02 am »

Vermin may be eaten at any time, but I believe it depends on each dwarf's preferences. Something about exotic foods, I seem to recall.
Quote from: ThreeToe
This story had a slide down a chute. Everybody likes chutes.

Time Kitten

• Bay Watcher
  • Evil Spirit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2009, 12:40:21 pm »

So you're pretty much SOL, really. The only solution I can think of is to assign a single dwarf who hates purring maggots to be the trapper/milker and shut him off from the rest of the fort, so none of the other dwarves can get to the maggots to eat them.
Actually, you need someone who loves them.  Someone who hates them will just go mad from seeing horrible things in cages and having absolutely horrible meals 24/7

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2009, 08:19:31 pm »

Actually, you need someone who loves them.  Someone who hates them will just go mad from seeing horrible things in cages and having absolutely horrible meals 24/7

"So. Urist McWoodcutter... we already have 20 woodcutters, what else can you tell me about yourself?"
Well.. I have a severe phobia of purring maggots.
"How severe?"
Very much so sir. I panic, get the cold sweats and...
"That's all we needed to hear. Congratulations you're now Urist McMaggotMilker. Guards, lock him in the 'maggot pit'"
NNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.