Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: More than 1 race at Embark?  (Read 1459 times)

Kohou

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the Armok do you think I am?
    • View Profile
More than 1 race at Embark?
« on: April 12, 2009, 06:29:21 pm »

"By default, the game seems to choose a group (and therefore a species if there is more than one) at random"

Does this mean, as I think it does, that only one race can be played at a time?  Is there any way around this?

Because for my Redwall mod, I'd like to have 3 different playable races together, each with specific abilities and weaknesses.  (Such as Moles who're the only miner race, and Hedgehogs who'll die in water.)
But if it's impossible to play with more than 1 race at a time, this goes downhill quickly.

"Don't worry Urist, the spider can't hurt us! He's trapped in an invisible box!"

"Don't dig for you!  Dig for me who digs for you!  Yours is the pick that will strike the earth!"

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: More than 1 race at Embark?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 06:36:29 pm »

Alas, that quote is horribly wrong.

If you have more than one race with the [CAN_CIV](I think?) tag, you can choose the race through the civilization choice screen upon embarking.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 06:48:26 pm »

It's a bit tricky, though, as it doesn't directly tell you what race the civs are, and there's a handful of ways to figure it out: either by looking for the blue symbols on the world map (which show you what type of town that civilization lives in), or by looking at the names of your civilizations (after playing for a while, you might be able to recognize the different words each default language tends to use).

If nothing else works or is workable, you can still search the names of the civs in the Legends, which will tell you what race they are.
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Zai

• Bay Watcher
  • Elmo? Is that a SIMPLE UTENSIL?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 06:59:34 pm »

Because for my Redwall mod, I'd like to have 3 different playable races together, each with specific abilities and weaknesses.  (Such as Moles who're the only miner race, and Hedgehogs who'll die in water.)
But if it's impossible to play with more than 1 race at a time, this goes downhill quickly.

This sounds like you'll need to wait for the implementation of the caste system in the next release. You'd have to make each race an individual caste (possibly two castes or more for each race if you wish to include gender variations and similar things) of the same civ.
DEATH has been waiting for you. He has poured you some TEA.

Taritus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2009, 11:48:43 am »

All the male castes can interbreed with the female castes though...  Unless Toady changed what he had said about them...

commondragon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2009, 06:14:02 pm »

In the embark screen, the civ access screen will show you what race you are (the one at the very top)
WheEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Protactinium

• Bay Watcher
  • [CAN_SALT:CHILD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 07:05:11 pm »

More than one civ makes it random, as far as I've seen.

I can first tell which civ I've gotten on the Embark Points screens, if you Tab into the screen with items and pets, there will be a "Tab: Dwarves" key instruction on the bottom that would read as "Tab: Kobolds" or "Tab: Elves" or "Tab: Dark Dwarves" or whatever you modded in as a civ.
The thing that confuses me about dorfs is this. Dorf 1 dies in an avalance or somesuch. Dorf 2 is friends with dorf 3 and dorf 1. Dorf 2 berserks because of his friends death and kills dorf 3. also a friend. W. T. F.
Clearly you've never been drunk.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2009, 01:16:24 pm »

with my hoobit mod i did figure out a way to choose them with multiple civ entities. in the enbark screen hit the tab button to the civ screen. depending on your personality of the creatures the civ name is their like for me the hobbits are cheery and friendly so ex. names would be like happybarrels to cheeryhorse or something.

Darekun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2009, 08:01:10 pm »

It's also possible to give a single entity def multiple [CREATURE:] tags. Sadly, each civ picks one :/

One thing you can do is create a slaver civ, and then you may have access to slaves of various intelligent species, but that's a little, ah...

Anyway, castes'll do ya when they come out; the interspecies marriages wouldn't be a problem for me, but I'm not very familiar with Redwall. The interspecies births would be more of an issue...

My favorite way to tell what species I'll be playing is to look for who has settlements where on the world-gen screen, then pick a civ in the right area. However, tabbing over to "neighbors" on the embark screen is a good one.
Darekun likes iron, cobalt, alicorn, cut gems, elves for their comparative advantage, and goblins for being an iron-bearing ore. When possible, she prefers to consume tea, cow meat, and Bacon Salt. She absolutely detests pasture creatures.

nicholasneko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2009, 11:15:19 pm »

if you select your civ, then go to the Neighbors screen. what race you are is always the one at the top of the list.

Zogundar

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2009, 02:33:39 am »

All the male castes can interbreed with the female castes though...  Unless Toady changed what he had said about them...
I haven't heard about this, is there ever going to be a "taboo" between interbreeding between castes?
Rogan?