Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Weapon/armor artifact effects?  (Read 610 times)

Dkarrde

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Weapon/armor artifact effects?
« on: April 12, 2009, 03:45:39 pm »

I'm just curious if anyone knows with any degree of distinction how much better an artifact is compared to a normal or masterwork weapon or armor of the same material.

The bonus is supposed to be very large, but just how large?  Would a goblin bone warhammer artifact, for example, be better than a masterwork steel warhammer?

IceShade

• Bay Watcher
  • YOUR HEAD ENGSMSPLODE
    • View Profile
Re: Weapon/armor artifact effects?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 04:33:54 pm »

Pretty much wondering this myself. I know that masterwork is 2x the damage reduction (for armor), but how does this work for an artifact?

And since artifact weapons/armor are sometimes made out of "impossible" metals, how do these work? I have a black bronze mace. You can't use this metal for weapons, normally, but I've got an artifact made out of it. Is this the same as bronze (75%)?

Artifacts are mysteeeeerious.

Madmonkey24

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 04:35:36 pm »

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 04:59:05 pm »

Pretty much wondering this myself. I know that masterwork is 2x the damage reduction (for armor), but how does this work for an artifact?

And since artifact weapons/armor are sometimes made out of "impossible" metals, how do these work? I have a black bronze mace. You can't use this metal for weapons, normally, but I've got an artifact made out of it. Is this the same as bronze (75%)?

Artifacts are mysteeeeerious.

The real question here is... what will please Armok? To have the glorious black bronze mace worshipped and appreciated by all of dwarfdom.. or lodge it in the skull of some elf.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Kanil

• Bay Watcher
  • [T_WORD:PILLAR:kanil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 05:01:21 pm »

Any "impossible" material will have a 50% damage modifier. Worst possible.

Any artifact will have at least a 2x quality modifier. The exact number is unknown. I believe you will hear values from 2x to 5x, setting artifacts somewhere between "as good as non-quality iron" and "almost as good as masterwork steel."
Yah, it sounds like minecraft with content, you have obviously missed the point, people dont like content, they like different coloured blocks.
Seems to work fine with my copy. As soon as I loaded the human caravan came by and the world burst into fire.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 05:15:59 pm »

but if they are made of really good or epic materials, i think they have a modifier of x5.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG