Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5

Author Topic: Dinosaurs  (Read 14143 times)

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • You Have Struck Turtle Shell!
    • View Profile
Re: Dinosaurs
« Reply #45 on: April 21, 2009, 04:18:17 pm »

oh if i do this i am totally adding [trAINABLE] to whatever creatures i deem have the intelligence and temperament for training. hunting raptors and war triceratops ftw. ah, if only i could make dwarves ride on them. having a few crossbow weilding dwarves atop a big triceratops doing battle with an equivalent orc elephant while dwarven raptors and orcish wargs circle and wait for an oppertunity would be heavenly. also someone needs to draw that. i may try but with my scanner KIA nobody but me would get to see it.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 22, 2009, 09:08:25 am »

Ooooh, good point, what do you need to do to have orcs that ride Tyrannosaurs?
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

WJLIII3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 22, 2009, 09:36:58 am »

Someone should just combine this mod with Orcs and Legendary Lands and a couple others, and add in stuff like that, having the orcs ride dinos and the like. I would, if I knew anything about modding.

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 22, 2009, 11:12:03 am »

ahahaha, i just tried to do that then. i added a bunch of stuff from legendary lands, primative civs and orcs along with dinosaurs. i also added a bunch more dinosaurs, some unique only to certain biomes, and fiddled with the existing ones (eg, adding a frill to the triceratops and other ceratopsians, and a long neck to the dinosaurs that had one. more neck means more places to chop)

i also added giant homocidal alligator snapping turtles for no other reason then i love alligator snapping turtles and would get one if i didnt live on the others side of the world from them.

ive got the stranges world i have ever seen. cant get into adventure mode or fort mode, it just crashes. no dinosaurs in the legends screens that i could find, although a tonne of animalmen going rampant on everyone. orcs are scattered in a huge line of forts diagonally across the map, while animalmen stick to their own little areas. again, cant find evidence of dinosaurs anywhere in the legends. but then again, i cant find any of the orcs either.

what i did find, though, are wizards. since i only grabbed a few selective bits of the legendary lands mod, just things like the big reptiles and snakes just to see if it would work, wizards should not be there. the wiki entry informs me that when wizards appear unintentionally you have done something very very wrong. i found a settlement of them when looking through the towns, it claims their leader arrived in the year 1 from "the mystical dimensions" and founded a town. some of them got eaten by wolfmen.

these savage animalmen are quite flavoursome, most dwarf civs are at war with around half of them. and as far as i can tell some of them have been eating the elves and taking over their forest retreats. the humans and turtlemen have set up a huge set of towns and seem to peacefully coexist. so much invading and razing was going on during gen that towns were appearing and dissapearing like confetti on a windy day.

anyways, if people want i may post the game folder so you can check it out. im sure some of those dinosaur entires are a bit off. or it may be my trying to use the orc pictures with the mayday tileset. ill have a look tomorrow. i can also post the dinosaur files i made for the op to modify, i did them in a big rush and i havent been a dinosaur geek since age 7 or so.

heres a solid wall of text describing the changes i can recall making and the things i remember adding. it was a bit of a fey mood, and as i am very tired right now please do not expect me to sound rational.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

also, if the op feels im hijacking this thread let me know and ill migrate out. these dinosaurs are freaking awesome btw. cyas tomorrow peoples.

Darekun

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 22, 2009, 11:24:05 am »

• The tyrannosaurs need to have the [MOUNT] token.
  • The orcs and tyrannosaurs need to occur in the same area, generally via tyrannosaur creature biomes overlapping orc entity biomes.
  • If the tyrannosaurs were [EVIL] the orcs would need [USE_EVIL_ANIMALS], and similarly for [GOOD] and [USE_GOOD_ANIMALS].

I suspect the first is the only change that would need to be made. However, tyrannosaurs will then be used as mounts by every civ that overlaps them, so you may want to make them [EVIL], since orcs presumably have [USE_EVIL_ANIMALS] already. Alternately, you could add an [EVIL][MOUNT] variant of tyrannosaurs, so you'd still have the regular ones roaming non-evil lands.
Darekun likes iron, cobalt, alicorn, cut gems, elves for their comparative advantage, and goblins for being an iron-bearing ore. When possible, she prefers to consume tea, cow meat, and Bacon Salt. She absolutely detests pasture creatures.

Onlyhestands

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 22, 2009, 02:59:47 pm »

also, if the op feels im hijacking this thread let me know and ill migrate out. these dinosaurs are freaking awesome btw. cyas tomorrow peoples.

No you're not intruding, infact feel free to post up any creatures you have made

Also, creature size will modify the damage, meaning that even the standard 1:6 damage is devasting on a large enough creature.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2009, 03:05:08 pm by Onlyhestands »
What if you didn't have any genitals, couldn't you just go naked as a dude (because showing your nipples is okay)?
What if monkeys created civilizations on the moon?

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 23, 2009, 04:51:02 am »

ok, it seems i have some quite serious problems with the orc mod. whenever i put the orc files in i start getting wizards appearing. they run around invading dark fortresses and snatching and raising kobolt children. im using the latest fresh download from mike mayday's site, so perhaps he has something installed in there that is causing problems. also, the orcs show up as armoured war elephants on the embark screen when you check the civs near dark orc fortresses.

the error log indicates that the game really does not like any of the new body parts like armoured plates or the triceratops horns, and as a result it does not populate the world with those creatures. i did embark (for some reason it defaulted to letting me embark as humans... from a human mountain retreat...) and was able to keep compsognathus as pets, and i found some spinosaurus in the forest i landed in. all my 7 had axes and axe weilder, so i tried to take one of them down. despite all the tags to make them immune to fear and pain, the damned things ran back and forth across the map till i divided the group into two squads and boxed it in. afterwhich my human axemen got thrown all over the place into cliffs and trees. the spinosaur ran off and left the two unconcious wounded without finishing them, one of whom had lost both his arms. seems like the large dinosaur predators need to be made more aggressive, they really try to avoid fighting at the moment.

here are the new dinosaurs i added in, along with all the originals as i changed some of them a bit. remember i did this in a hurry and i am not that experienced, so do point out any errors ive made.

tyranosaur.

dark tyranosaurus, for the orcs to ride on. only appears in evil areas, only the creature name is different, as the game will take out any creatures with a duplicate name in world gen. did not use or test this, as i did not get the orcs working.

stegosaurus. despite adding the bony plates to the right file, the error log complains about not knowing what they are. they get used in worldgen, when i tried to use orcs i found a wizard in legands who was killing and eating them, but embarking on places where they should be causes a crash.

Amphicoelias. i added a long neck to it, which despite adding to the creature body parts file the game could not find either.

triceratops. added a bony neck frill and made them a traineable mount. the game did not like the bony neck frill or their 2horns, according to the error log. also, the horn/tusk attack is done a bit differently for unicorns, elephants and warthogs, so it may need changing.

duck billed dinosaurs, aka hardrosaurs. im pretty sure i left these guys alone.

pterodactyl. never saw these in game, or in the error log. no changes from orignal.

plesiosaur got a long neck, again the game did not like this.

Dicynodont. unchanged from original.

Compsognathus. these little guys were available at embark. i think i gave them new prefstrings.

velociraptor. dont think i changed this one either.

dire raptor. i added [CURIOUSBEAST_EATER] so it would have a reason to approach your fort and mess with your stuff, along with more prefstring tags.

ankylosaurus. the game really did not like its plates or tail. the error log even complains that it does not recognize bludgeon as a damage type, which may be due to the damage values. i havent changed this one at all, but i dont think those damage values are right, i cant find any other creatures with anything similar. and like i said, even a dragons bite attack is just 1:6, same as a much smaller animal.

spinosaurus. hopefully less common then a t rex but ment to be far far worse. stupid size, and very quick. like i said earleir, i found these in fort mode, and had to chase them everywhere to get into a fight. after which my poor little humans got creamed. seeing as they run instead of fighting i feel they need some work. dont know why [NOFEAR] does not prevent that. perhaps [NOEMOTION] as well?

oviraptor. egg thief. slightly smaller and less mean then your velociraptor, and without the toe claw. but it steals your items and food. i did not see this in game, but there were no errors about it at least.

baryonix. hopefully a cowardly version of the spinosaur that just wants to hang out near lakes and rivers and fish. prefers to attack with its large specialized fishing claws then its long narrow jaws. no errors from worldgen with this one, thankfully.

dimetrodon. these did not live during the time of the dinosaurs, but they still look wicked and are well known. look like a huge lizard with a ginormous frill along their spine, like the spinosaur. ment to hang out near pools in swampy places. the game did not like their frill body part.

ceratosaurus. smaller version of the tyranosaur, that lives in mountains. i did not add custom body parts for the horns on their head, so did not have any aparent issues with them in game.

protoceratops. like a large dog sized triceratops without horns. again, one of my favourite dinosaurs, lots of fossils for these exist. they have a massively strong beaklike mouth, and their fossils found near gold deposits in the middle east are thought to be what gave rise to myths about griffins. a real life fossilized body of a protoceratops was found in the middle of fighting a velociraptor. the protoceratops is chomping on the raptors arm, and the raptor is on its side with its toe claw stuck in the protoceratops neck. also, an oviraptor fossil skeleton with a smashed skull has been found next to a protoceratops nest, aparently killed by an angry parent.

in game they live in mountains and can be tamed and brought as pets from embark. the game did not like the neck frills i gave them.

Pachycephalosaur. these are the guys with bony solid skulls that are often portrayed clashing heads. same size as a person and appear in mountain biomes. gave them a bony domed skull that they would attack with, the game did not like it.

nothosaurus. i didnt alter this one.

kronosaurus. retardedly huge. i took the liberty of making them amphibious, which is extremely unlikely to have been true. beaches should be very dangerous with these in the water.

giant alligator snapping turtle. not a dinosaur at all, though they aparently were around back then, and they sure as hell look like one. the game does not like the spiked shell i gave them. these are much larger then real life and should hopefully come charging out of rivers to tear your dwarves to bits. real life ones are absurdly aggressive and aparently have the second strongest bite strenght of any living thing.

mastadon. very large furry elephant for taiga, tundra and glaciers. i know that these are from far later then the dinosaurs, but i wanted something large to roam the cold bits of the world.

wooly rhino. size 12, with the same horn attack as a unicorn gets, and perpetually angry. again, for glaciers and the like.

and there you have it. hopefully you more knowledgeable and observant types can find any errors ive made, while i go read the orcs thread to find out why when i put in orcs they come with wizards, and find out how to add custom body parts without making the game stuff up.

EDIT: made all the spoiler tags work right. its still a huge post.

« Last Edit: April 23, 2009, 09:07:02 am by Cheshire Cat »

Paranatural

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: April 23, 2009, 08:30:42 am »

I've never seen orcs come with wizards. Of course it seems like you are running with more mods than I am. Personally I just got the Fast DF Client, the orcs mod, and the dinosaurs mod, installed them all, and ran the game. (Haven't looked back since then btw).

If I were you I'd try doing that first, then go from there.

The other mod I think you said you had, dangerous lands or whatever, I know that one messes with a lot of files and when you start piling mods on top of mods unless you know what you are doing and what the mods change, you are gonna have issues like you have.
The corpses appear to be primarily concentrated under the dead cat.  - Untelligent
Mental Health 6/6. You easily comfort yourself knowing that Paranatural's Hot Stubble And Deliciously Unwashed Armpits will be  waiting for you whatever happens.

Cheshire Cat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: April 23, 2009, 09:20:39 am »

at first i tried using a few of the creature files from legendary lands mod after checking carefully that they didnt have anything that would interact with other stuff. when that went crazy i just tried orcs then dinosaurs, then just orcs, and just dinosaurs seperately. i used a fresh unzip of the game in a new folder for each test. each time i got wizards along with my orcs, and the orcs showed up in the nearby civs screen on embark as armoured war elephants. and embarking would cause a crash. trying with just dinosaurs worked fine, sans the dinosaurs with extra body parts. and they were just as difficult to kill as i would have hoped.

as i am using the latest fresh install from mike mayday, and as he adds a few things and tweaks stuff a bit, it may be that. im busy for a few days but when i next have time ill try an unaltered install from the bay 12 website and add stuff from there. and ill have a good look around the forums to see if this has come up before.

if youve got it working with orcs and dinosaurs then do share your gory stories.

does anyone know why the new creature parts added to the body_default file dont seem to be working right? finally, if you feel inclined please do vet the dinosaurs i added and comment on them.

Rochndil

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: April 23, 2009, 10:30:24 am »

Good morning.

Any time you end up with weird crossed-up civs, suspect the duplicate bug. This happens when you have two (or more!) creature/entity entries that share a name. This breaks DF's brain, and bizarre stuff (like jellyfish civilizations) happens. The errorlog.txt file should tell you EXACTLY what entries are conflicting. All you should have to do is find the one of the conflicting entries and change its name, then do a clean re-gen.

Rochndil, who had to clear out a LOT of double-entries on his personal multi-mod build...
Build an Elf a fire, keep him warm for a day.
Drown an Elf in magma, keep him warm for the rest of his life!

Slappy Moose

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: April 23, 2009, 12:45:09 pm »

Oh man I should have given you my old raptor mod...

It was stupidly unrealistic but totally awesome. Packs of 40 or 50 raptors would come on screen at a time, and mill about outside your base. If they were alone or few in number, they would scamper away from dwarves but if there were enough of them, or they were attacked, they'd rush any dwarf in sight and tear them to pieces.

I may download this mod, I need more aggressive animals.
Zaneg Thazor: Armok Reincarnate Story http://www.bay12games.com/forum/index.php?topic=19291.msg196691#msg196691

[Healthcare Update Thread] Personally, I can't wait for doctors to get possessed and start surgically attaching axes to champion soldier's arms.

Shoku

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: April 24, 2009, 09:54:55 am »

For duplicate entries I highly suspect wargs as the issue. Maybe more but definitely check them first.
Please get involved with my making worlds thread.

nicholasneko

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: April 24, 2009, 10:58:11 am »

this is why we need modbase updated and get people back to using it so we can easily mix and match cool mods like this and the others.

Paranatural

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: April 24, 2009, 02:31:08 pm »

Indeed. I've enjoyed this one along with the Orcs mod so much I've considered trying to make a 'Savage Worlds' mod or something, with Dinosaurs everywhere, primitive flora, lots of big, nasty vermin (Is there such a thing) that could possibly kill cats, and even have bands of primitive cavemen. And the Orcs, of course.

@onlyhestands: Have you considered putting in primitive types of plants, vermin and fish as well?
The corpses appear to be primarily concentrated under the dead cat.  - Untelligent
Mental Health 6/6. You easily comfort yourself knowing that Paranatural's Hot Stubble And Deliciously Unwashed Armpits will be  waiting for you whatever happens.

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: April 25, 2009, 02:17:36 am »

Paranatural: You know that Dasleah actually tried to make one like that, with a focus on giant marsupials. She didn't finish it, though.
Once tried to conquer Earth, and succeeded! Too bad it got really, really boring, really, really fast.

One day, we shall all look back on this, and laugh. Sorry about the face, by the way, and the legs, and the eyes, and the arms. In fact, sorry 'bout the whole body.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5