Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Auto Slaughter for kittens  (Read 1863 times)

scale_e

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Auto Slaughter for kittens
« on: April 12, 2009, 10:35:57 am »

It would be nice as an option. I mean, its what I do with the kittens anyway, so it would just be reducing button bashing.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
Re: Auto Slaughter for kittens
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 10:37:51 am »

Perhaps just an option on the slaughter menu: Auto slaughter offspring of these creatures.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

scale_e

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 10:39:24 am »

Perhaps just an option on the slaughter menu: Auto slaughter offspring of these creatures.
Even better.

Grigorij.Gluhov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 10:55:09 am »

If your pet are totaly suck... just mark with Pit zone river bank and make it float! It's better and faster than slay them in butchery. Have fun! ))

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 05:01:16 pm »

If your pet are totaly suck... just mark with Pit zone river bank and make it float! It's better and faster than slay them in butchery. Have fun! ))
We need the bones.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 05:12:22 pm »

W=wall
F=fortification
D=door
R=ramp

RW   F<-- Ballista
  WDW

Go up ramp, dump kittens into designated pit, fire ballista. Kittens die (you can kill HEAPS at the same time!) and your siege operator gets practice. Practice is important if you want him to be able to reload siege equipment and get more than one shot at gobbos.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 09:12:31 pm »

Go up ramp, dump kittens into designated pit, fire ballista. Kittens die (you can kill HEAPS at the same time!) and your siege operator gets practice. Practice is important if you want him to be able to reload siege equipment and get more than one shot at gobbos.

That's the most horrible thing I've ever heard of.

Duke 2.0

• Bay Watcher
  • [CONQUISTADOR:BIRD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 09:17:03 pm »

Indeed. You said goblins instead of kittens in the last sentence.
Buck up friendo, we're all on the level here.
I would bet money Andrew has edited things retroactively, except I can't prove anything because it was edited retroactively.
MIERDO MILLAS DE VIBORAS FURIOSAS PARA ESTRANGULARTE MUERTO

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 09:20:49 pm »

Err... I think he meant gobbos. When you're shooting at immobile, defenseless kittens, it's better to do it slowly!

jockmo42

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009, 09:58:46 pm »

The whole catsplosion scenario will be fixed when Toady implements aging and death from it in animals. I'd just wait till then instead of asking him to bandage the problem.

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2009, 10:56:21 pm »

Animals do die from age, and I have heard that there is an upper limit to animals at which point they stop reproducing, it just doesn't apply to pets...

I would liketo see an autoslaughter option, not just on birth, but also on maturity, and maybe even for over a certain number of that animal... And set some animals to be ignored, or even a certain number to be maintained for breeding. Of course, there is an argument against excessive automation...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 14, 2009, 02:57:04 am »

Err... I think he meant gobbos. When you're shooting at immobile, defenseless kittens, it's better to do it slowly!

Yes ... yes I did.  ;D I meant you need to reload quickly when the gobbos come or they will scare away the operator before he gets off a second shot. Why fire into empty space when you can practice on kittens?
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

tsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 14, 2009, 08:49:28 pm »

-->  Yes.
...Unless your message is "drvn 2 hsptl 4 snak bite" or something, you seriously DO have the time to spell it out.

praguepride

• Bay Watcher
  • DF is serious business!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2009, 09:57:07 am »

Maybe have a toggable option in an animal's slaughter menu:

Breeder: [Y/N]

Then in the stocks menu add a new "Animals" tab (if possible...don't know about the real estate) and then have options for each animal such as:

CAT: SLAUGHTER-ALL   SLAUGHTER-MATURE    NO SLAUGHTER

Slaughter-All would kill all the cats not marked as breeders. Slaughter-mature would only slaughter the grown up animals, leaving the kittens alone, and no slaughter is the option for wussies :D

Again, if there is no room left on the stocks screen then maybe add it to the butcher's context menu? So that you can designate a "cat slaughtering" station and a "horse slaughtering" station
Man, dwarves are such a**holes!

Even automatic genocide would be a better approach

Iapetus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2009, 05:05:30 pm »

Or maybe just fix cats themselves so they're not so annoying.

Is they weren't leaving rotting lizard remains all over my fortress, I'd have no need to slaghter them in the first place.
Engraved on the floor is a well-designed image of a kobold and a carp.  The kobold is making a plaintive gesture.  The carp is laughing.
Pages: [1] 2