Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Tame Giant Cave Spider marked 'Hostile'  (Read 1798 times)

Belathus

• Bay Watcher
  • huzzah for home automation
    • View Profile
Tame Giant Cave Spider marked 'Hostile'
« on: April 12, 2009, 08:14:52 am »

I've managed to tame a giant cave spider.  I was very happy about this.  So, I released it and let it wander around a bit.  Some time later, I saw a message saying that the creature bled to death (in the meeting hall with no hostiles around).  So, I reloaded an old save and tried again.  It bled to death again.  The third time, I noticed a trade caravan killed it.  Anyway... the next reload, I caged it.  Then pitted it in a room with tightly closed (not locked) doors.  Then eventually, I locked the doors.  Later, I unlocked them with the intention of caging it again, but I couldn't cage it.  Didn't show up on the list, and it didn't go hang out in the meeting areas again, just milling about in the room I had locked it in (with the doors unlocked).  So, I checked the unit list: It was marked as a stray giant cave spider (tame) but instead of having "Tame" as its job, it was marked hostile.  It didn't attack any of my dwarves, but I assume that the trade caravan earlier was reacting to it being marked hostile and killing it off.

The spider is (was) marked as being available as a pet.
Nothing to see here.

sunshaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Tame Giant Cave Spider marked 'Hostile'
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 08:22:17 am »

Sounds like a known issue. If any animal has attacked your dwarves and then you capture it and make it tame it will still be hostile. Not sure which bug report it is.

Belathus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 08:28:45 am »

Nah, the spider isn't actually hostile, and it plays quite friendly for a while before being marked as such.  Nor is it named.  I think it killed a cat and a couple cows, though.  I used the cows to bait it into the cage trap.
Nothing to see here.

Belathus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 04:09:19 pm »

Yup, that's consistent with what I'm seeing.  Oh, well.  I stuck him on a 3x3 platform, chained in place, with a pit above him and just drop goblins on him to collect that precious silk.

I guess that also eliminates the option of catching and breeding giant toads.
Nothing to see here.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 04:52:49 pm »

Once they have a taste for blood, they're vicious killing machines.

Actually, even before they've had a taste for blood they're vicious killing machines.  That thing would make an unstoppable addition to an army.
Shoes...

Belathus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2009, 05:51:59 am »

Hah.  Yeah, it would be pretty unstoppable.  I was hoping that someone would choose it as a pet... I would've instantly drafted that person into my army.
Nothing to see here.