Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Elf smashing - I need a hand  (Read 1339 times)

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
Elf smashing - I need a hand
« on: April 12, 2009, 08:00:32 am »

So, yeah. I've read various stories about dropping a Trade Depot full of Elves down a  hole, but how does one actually go about doing it? So far, digging a hole, building a support 1 z-level under the surface and building a floor then depot on that before collapsing the depot whenever useful seems to work, but it's waaaay too much work to keep remaking the floor area. Also, is 5 z-levels too few to make sure I get them all?

bunsoth datannil

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Elf smashing - I need a hand
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 08:09:19 am »

you could make a field of fire with ballistas, or a pit trap or a drowning chamber.
Bunsoth Datannil "The Godforsaken Iron Hammer"
"no one likes a flaming dwarf"
At points like this, I say listen to our dwarven forefathers and say "fuck the world, pull the lever".

TheDJ17

• Bay Watcher
  • [SWAG]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 08:14:01 am »

Make a bunch of spike traps a few z-levels down and turn them on after the elves fall on them.
The spinning =<*Free Form Jazz*>= strikes the Poster in all the senses, ya' dig, utterly blowing the mind!
The Status Quo has been struck down!

Hagadorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO-GIFTS] [NAUGHTY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 08:21:35 am »

There can NEVER be too many z levels...

But generally, 5-8 should do it. there should be enough falling debris to kill them when they hit.

To make the job easier, Dig the hole by designating layer after layer as Ramps.
If you do it the safe way

(designate one z as ramps, wait til they dig it out, remove all the ramps, designate the next layer, remove ramps, rinse, repeat)

of course, I build my depots surrounded by a few layers of grates... then when those goddamn hippies show up, I can decontaminate them... with magma...

And hate.
You see, booze is a parasite. It lives off dwarves and compels them to dig into the ground so as to create massive defences to protect it's self. It really shouldn't be called dwarf fortress, Booze fortress would make much more sense.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 08:23:24 am »

Make a bunch of spike traps a few z-levels down and turn them on after the elves fall on them.

I'm not going to do that for 2 reasons:
1) I don't have any weaponry spare.
2) Too easy. I want them to splat.

But generally, 5-8 should do it. there should be enough falling debris to kill them when they hit.

To make the job easier, Dig the hole by designating layer after layer as Ramps.
If you do it the safe way

(designate one z as ramps, wait til they dig it out, remove all the ramps, designate the next layer, remove ramps, rinse, repeat)

of course, I build my depots surrounded by a few layers of grates... then when those goddamn hippies show up, I can decontaminate them... with magma...

And hate.

I've already got a hole, I just need to know if there's a better way to drop them than my 'eh, it'll do for now' method.

Hagadorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO-GIFTS] [NAUGHTY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 08:28:55 am »

Not really... You can't build on bridges, and unless you wanna mess around with levers and timing of levers and shit like that, just stick with the 'eh' method.
You see, booze is a parasite. It lives off dwarves and compels them to dig into the ground so as to create massive defences to protect it's self. It really shouldn't be called dwarf fortress, Booze fortress would make much more sense.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009, 08:30:16 am »

Sounds fun. Hook me up. I want complicated.

EDIT: I don't know how I missed that huge vein of Hematite right next to my fort entrance, but woo, iron. Anyway, if you have some sort of devious elf killing trap brewing, you can throw in some weapon traps or whatever.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 08:42:09 am by Simmura McCrea »

Gork

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2009, 08:59:43 am »

Make a floor above the Trade Depot, and collapse it to have the Trade Depot collapse a further 5-50 z-levels.

Nerserus

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2009, 09:08:31 am »

Why make it complicated, just use this design:

WWWWW
WDDDW
WDDDF
WDDDW
WWWWW

W: Wall
D: Depot
F: Floodgate

You can use a lever to close the floodgate on the traders, watch them go insane and kill each other. Because, at the end of the day, we can punch them, burn them, drown them, and fling them into the sky and make them explode in gore.  But, its ten times more fun to watch them beat the shiznits out of each other, because no matter who wins: you still have fun and kill elves at the same time. And if they don't go berserk, watching them become a babbling wreck or suicidal is even more "fun"!
stack of 10 prepared dragonfly brains - I'm trying to imagine what's more funny: a dwarf popping a tiny dragonfly brain into his mouth for a snack, the butcher who actually prepared this feast, or the brave hunter who ventured out into the wilderness and returned with this bounty.

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2009, 09:11:42 am »

Dunno, I once tryed to get ride of a jeweler who wanted to waste a "mood" on making some stupid jewelry by droping him down 8 z levels - he surived, I repeat with 4 z levels, he smacks into someones room, but lives on, then i dump him 4 more (to the button of the world) and he still lives on. Now after he droped 16 z levels total I flooded his hole with water - he learns to swim...

(hes not even legandary in anything, just "tough" and "agile"
I still fear the day he becomes berserk and climbs out of that hole...

Hagadorn

• Bay Watcher
  • [NO-GIFTS] [NAUGHTY]
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2009, 09:14:34 am »

Well, Set it up so that the only access to your depot is along a long straight tunnel... Dig the tunnel out to begind with to be 5 wide. Now, Layer it the entire length down to the entrance of the depot with Bridges (so one on the left, one on the right)

Hook 'em up to a level.

Its pretty good at messing up sieges as well... but it does utterly destroy the entire caravan. so... No looted elven goods.

In response to posted while posting:

See! Thats why you need magma... If he survives by swimming around in magma... THEN I'll be impressed.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2009, 09:16:52 am »

Why make it complicated, just use this design:

WWWWW
WDDDW
WDDDF
WDDDW
WWWWW

W: Wall
D: Depot
F: Floodgate

You can use a lever to close the floodgate on the traders, watch them go insane and kill each other. Because, at the end of the day, we can punch them, burn them, drown them, and fling them into the sky and make them explode in gore.  But, its ten times more fun to watch them beat the shiznits out of each other, because no matter who wins: you still have fun and kill elves at the same time. And if they don't go berserk, watching them become a babbling wreck or suicidal is even more "fun"!
True, but I want elf chunks. Lots of them. Everywhere.

Although... Hmm. I need to plan. Suspension bridge to depot+bridges linked to a lever+elves on bridge=splat

Nerserus

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2009, 09:26:29 am »

In that case, have the entire trade depot drop one level, and have weapon traps at the bottom, serrated saws will do, don't need to be of high quality, in fact the lower the quality the better, more limbs fly before they die. Anywho, after they hit the bottom the traps will activate IMMIEDIATLY, wtfpwning the elves in a very sick and gruesome way. Imagine a bunch of people stuck in a huge blender. You get the idea.

EDIT: Forgot to mention, you may have to designate the traps to hurt friendly units, so you won't be able to loot them, but i reckon the gore would be MORE than worth it, they only have rubbish anyway...
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 09:29:38 am by Nerserus »
stack of 10 prepared dragonfly brains - I'm trying to imagine what's more funny: a dwarf popping a tiny dragonfly brain into his mouth for a snack, the butcher who actually prepared this feast, or the brave hunter who ventured out into the wilderness and returned with this bounty.

Shadowgandor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2009, 09:32:00 am »

Oh wow, that gave me an idea, how about locking them up in a room with one square hole in it that ends about 20 z levels down. Lock the elves up, they become sad, they jump down, they splatter to death, open doors, repeat :D

Nerserus

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 12, 2009, 09:36:45 am »

No problem, happy to help.
Pages: [1] 2