Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: What the hell happened to this cave?...  (Read 3156 times)

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: What the hell happened to this cave?...
« Reply #15 on: April 14, 2009, 03:39:07 pm »

It's easy to forget, random number generators are random - and in Dwarf Fortress especially. It's possible your gator just rolled a few natural twenties against the unsuspecting dwarfs.
But really I have no idea, you certainly could be right. They could also gain some form of exp. and get stronger when they make kills. I've just personally never noticed my named creatures causing any extra damage.

Nerserus

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 14, 2009, 03:45:14 pm »

Hmm, maybe it is chance, but if one completely destroys his enemy, it would be unlikely he would ever see the difference :). But, i do think there is some kind of exp, maybe it is small, and he got lucky, but i am certain there is some kind of exp system, since there was quite a difference in combat. Who knows but toady one the great? However, on the off chance this isn't luck that caused a legend. Then a new craze of creating ridiculously powerful monsters to inhabit caves could begin. And players will be able to naturally make their own challenges ( and maybe even challenge other people to defeat these dungeons :) ) I may be thinking about this too deeply, but it is very interesting in my opinion. Also do noteworthy creatures inhabit ruins as well?
stack of 10 prepared dragonfly brains - I'm trying to imagine what's more funny: a dwarf popping a tiny dragonfly brain into his mouth for a snack, the butcher who actually prepared this feast, or the brave hunter who ventured out into the wilderness and returned with this bounty.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 14, 2009, 03:52:46 pm »

It definitely seems to be that creatures get an invisible strength boost for kills. I had a terror raptor (modded in creature, 1 size larger than giant eagles and more diverse biomes) kill a whole squad of orcs. These were all hammer and sword orcs, and this bird suffered nary a scratch. He went on to claim the whole goddamned siege. 23 orcs dead by his claws. After my fort went head-first into a pit of magma, I looked him up in legends. He'd taken over a cave by killing it's inhabitants. 4 GCS and an previously-unharmed dragon. Conversely, his brethern that I didn't capture and tame were taken out very easily by an untrained wrestler dwarf.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 14, 2009, 03:58:55 pm »

Who knows but toady one the great?

Amen Brotha! You're probably right about the stat boost, I was just throwing the other possibility out there. And if you are right, it certainly does open up a new avenue of self imposed challenges.

Nerserus

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2009, 03:59:44 pm »

Glad to know i'm not the only one who believes in the system :D. If kills do affect it i forgot to mention, then there is no accurate way to judge how powerful a noteworthy creature is until you're already fighting it (or if you were cunning and used legends) it could be average, or a god, and in that case it may mean you may want to pay attention to it in the off chance it kills you and every other thing on the map. :D Also, if ruins CAN be inhabited with noteworthy creatures, then i think my new past time is discovered: Creating insane dungeons for people to play in. :)
stack of 10 prepared dragonfly brains - I'm trying to imagine what's more funny: a dwarf popping a tiny dragonfly brain into his mouth for a snack, the butcher who actually prepared this feast, or the brave hunter who ventured out into the wilderness and returned with this bounty.

sonerohi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2009, 04:17:43 pm »

There's already a community fort dedicated to filling the whole world with dwarvern ruins filled with beasts, traps, complicated mazes and races against a flood, etc.
I picked up the stone and carved my name into the wind.

Nerserus

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 14, 2009, 04:33:09 pm »

There's already a community fort dedicated to filling the whole world with dwarvern ruins filled with beasts, traps, complicated mazes and races against a flood, etc.
Thats exactly what i was talking about :), if super-beasts are possible to create, that craze is Dramatically upgraded. You could catch it in a cage trap, and set them at certain points as extremely tough monster traps. More so, instead of filling it with ratmen and the like, you could get in the big guns, like personal bosses for the dungeon, god-like Elephants for example
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
(bonus points if you make a special room to match). I also believe being a Current Resident effects strength as well (like dwarves fighting on their home turf, they naturally are tougher), but thats something else. I am very excited by the prospect of monsters being absolutely LETHAL!

Enzo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 14, 2009, 05:03:47 pm »

You're referring to the world of traps and attractions, right sonerohi? That thing is a really great idea. It would be cool to do one geared towards boss fights against epic named monsters, instead of clever traps and architecture. Everyone could start forts around caves and evil savage areas, capture the strongest available monsters, put them in a tiny room and feed them experience until they are badasses...

ThtblovesDF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2009, 05:15:24 pm »

Pit-of-unnamed-Dead is always a part of my fort, even if it does not work (GCS wont eat goblins and so on, but I just keep repeating myself into evry thread I come along until its fixed ;)   ) and it results in quite strong enemies (mainly since I give evrything "Can_Learn", resulting in garbage like this;
Oh and a Pit of Doom, just for those intrested; Spawns the strongest by rules of survival of the fittest.

Nerserus

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2009, 05:55:31 pm »

You're referring to the world of traps and attractions, right sonerohi? That thing is a really great idea. It would be cool to do one geared towards boss fights against epic named monsters, instead of clever traps and architecture. Everyone could start forts around caves and evil savage areas, capture the strongest available monsters, put them in a tiny room and feed them experience until they are badasses...
Exactly, except, with traps and architecture, like a good old rogue like (but alot more fun, think nethack but more detailed, and a build-your-own map system) i was thinking more than tiny rooms crammed with monsters, but specially designed pits to give that monster a little bit more of an advantage over you, here is an example of the "Alligator pit":
A normal room, with many small holes filled with water dotted across the area, grates above said holes, the moment the unsuspecting person takes a step inside: BAM, floodgate behind him (the way he entered) slams shut, the grates open, and the alligators underneath go rambo on his rear, ambushed from all sides by Super Alligators.

To put it in perspective, the small holes dotted around the place are no go zones for people who cannot swim well, and means ALOT of avoiding Super Alligators, they can no longer get out the way they came ( the mechanism after working falls to pieces, meaning it is literally IMPOSSIBLE to get out without going all the way down that dark dungeon alone), and they will lose their meat shields as the case may be should their meat shields fall behind...
« Last Edit: April 14, 2009, 06:00:11 pm by Nerserus »

Nerserus

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2009, 12:10:40 pm »

A reply, due to the fact i've discovered something AMAZING! Duke, you were right on the money, i tested your idea of dying on purpose in adventure mode to get noteworthy creatures, i made a world with only one cave, and died repeatedly on purpose, the results are here:

Indeed, it does not even MATTER about the biomes, it is a very strong possibility that you can create amazing dungeons with powerful monsters that inhabit caves with Megabeasts ( Which serve as bosses of sorts ) indeed, it does seem possible that noteworthy creatures don't disappear: Just become members of cave "alliances" ( Massive congregations of powerful monsters, strangely peaceful to each other... So far but i'll update on that )

blue emu

• Bay Watcher
  • GroFAZ
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2009, 12:27:50 pm »

Is there any way to tell in-game whether he was Superalligatorly Tough? Not sure if that info displays...
Never pet a burning dog.

Nerserus

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 27, 2009, 01:30:01 pm »

Is there any way to tell in-game whether he was Superalligatorly Tough? Not sure if that info displays...
Heh i wish, then i could get Superbatmanly tough ;D.

No but really, there is no information shown for wild animals, at least to my knowledge.

kotekzot

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 27, 2009, 02:18:26 pm »

A reply, due to the fact i've discovered something AMAZING! Duke, you were right on the money, i tested your idea of dying on purpose in adventure mode to get noteworthy creatures, i made a world with only one cave, and died repeatedly on purpose, the results are here:
what was the test about? all i see is named creatures running around.
Dwarf Fortress: Where violent death is a renewable resource
Bro, your like... thinking like a square man... its like, the WHOLE lamprey is just like, one big NECK dude, you know? its like hahahaha! dude protect the trees though, seriously. *inhale*... anyways... you like, want this dead black bear, bro?

Puzzlemaker

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 27, 2009, 02:46:34 pm »

what was the test about? all i see is named creatures running around.

He made a world with one cave, and then everytime his adventurer died by a creature, that creature became named, and named creatures automagically appear at the nearest cave.  So, if you go out and die to a bunch of critters, and you only have one cave, they will all end up in the same cave.

Hmm...
The mark of the immature man is that he wants to die nobly for a cause, while the mark of the mature man is that he wants to live humbly for one.
Pages: 1 [2] 3