Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: New military objectives/ playing role in kingdoms  (Read 864 times)

Misterstone

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
New military objectives/ playing role in kingdoms
« on: October 01, 2006, 07:15:00 pm »

Hey there,

I was wondering, are there any plans to have fortresses play roles in larger happenings of the kingdom to which they belong?  Right now, the idea of simply refining adamantine until the game ends seems kind of depressing.

Here's some ideas that I was thinking would make the game more challenging and varied:

1) Your kingdom sometimes finds itself at war, and thus has to make requests of your fortress, such as asking for wealth, manufacture of weapons +armor, etc. Maybe they could pay for this by building/improving your road, sending yuo nice gifts/skilled labor for immigrants, etc.

2)  Your fortress might be required to serve some other military function, such as guarding a food store, manning a watch outpost, garrisoning a group of soldiers, etc.

3)  Battles might take place at or around your fort as part of the larger war, with your victory or lack thereof having an effect on the progress of the war...

4)  You get the idea...

Anyway, I'm sure more/different objectives are in the works... perhaps the devs can give us an idea what to expect?

Again, thanks for the game!

Toady One

• The Great
    • View Profile
    • http://www.bay12games.com
Re: New military objectives/ playing role in kingdoms
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2006, 07:20:00 pm »

The county, army, caravan and diplomacy arcs from Version 1 Dev should include some stuff like that.  Those arcs combined with randomizing the innards of the mountain will go a long way to shaking up the dreariness that can develop after you play several forts and know basically what's going on.
The Toad, a Natural Resource:  Preserve yours today!