Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Personal inventory  (Read 940 times)

Grigorij.Gluhov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Personal inventory
« on: April 12, 2009, 06:16:35 am »

Hello.
I want to offer a suggestoin about "the personal inventory".

First:
As anyone know each dwarf has some stuff he carry anytime like cloth, weapon, armour. But interface to display that he has is hurts me... )) As anyone may see in other ASCII-like games inventory builds in order to "Head: My good helm", "Body: My good amour" and etc. But in DF mode we see inverted version. IMHO this is painfully to perception!
Second:
It will be great ability to change stuff right in inventory screen from list of typied items like in building menu!

What are you think about that?

Randominality

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:EAT]
    • View Profile
Re: Personal inventory
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2009, 03:58:42 pm »

Yeah i wouldnt just mind a simple grid of the items that you could highlight to see exactly what they were. Obviously this would only be implemented a way off when Toady does thepresentation arc.
Oh Gordon Freeman, what medical procedure can't you educate alien war machines about?

Foa

• Bay Watcher
  • And I thought foxfire was stylish in winter.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2009, 06:19:20 pm »

I'd like to suggest the PS method, your inventory, your hat's contents, you pockets contents, your tummy's contents ( if you have the Belly of the Whale intrinsic ) , etc.

Warlord255

• Bay Watcher
  • Master Building Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2009, 06:25:31 pm »

Inventory being sorted out into "clothing, armor, held items" would be nice.
DF Vanilla-Spice Revised: Better balance, more !!fun!!
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=173907.msg7968772#msg7968772

LeadfootSlim on Steam, LeadfootSlim#1851 on Discord. Hit me up!

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 07:54:40 pm »

One thing we need to consider when talking about a creatures inventory is how to deal with non-humanoid creatures, or even humanoid creatures with many heads, arms or any part really.

Rather than having "head: ≡Steel Helm≡", "Torso: ≡Steel Plate≡" I'd like to see all visibly equipped items displayed as part of the creature description, "He is dressed from head to foot in ≡steel plate armour≡ over pigtail cloth clothing" or similar. This mostly applies to when you look at another creature but when looking at yourself it could also list concealed items "He is wearing a pair of +Leather Boots+ with an *Iron Dagger* concealed within.". Ideally you would be able to expand this view to get a more detailed list though.
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

sweitx

• Bay Watcher
  • Sun Berry McSunshine
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 08:38:29 pm »

One thing we need to consider when talking about a creatures inventory is how to deal with non-humanoid creatures, or even humanoid creatures with many heads, arms or any part really.

Rather than having "head: ≡Steel Helm≡", "Torso: ≡Steel Plate≡" I'd like to see all visibly equipped items displayed as part of the creature description, "He is dressed from head to foot in ≡steel plate armour≡ over pigtail cloth clothing" or similar. This mostly applies to when you look at another creature but when looking at yourself it could also list concealed items "He is wearing a pair of +Leather Boots+ with an *Iron Dagger* concealed within.". Ideally you would be able to expand this view to get a more detailed list though.

Not sure if this would do, but the equipment slot can be defined for each body part.  So a creature with multiple heads would simply have multiple head slots.
One of the toads decided to go for a swim in the moat - presumably because he could path through the moat to my dwarves. He is not charging in, just loitering in the moat.

The toad is having a nice relaxing swim.
The goblin mounted on his back, however, is drowning.

Grigorij.Gluhov

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2009, 07:44:31 pm »

Extension of inventory will be good for hauling. Dwarves can take BIN or use BACKPACKs for carrying staff from dead foes. Now, one dwarf carry one thing... so slow.

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2009, 08:17:15 pm »

Hauling multiple items at once is a surprisingly difficult thing to do, and it's not likely to be improved much before it's set aside to be done really well.

Currently, the job seeks the dwarf:  A stone says "I need to be hauled", a dwarf said "Oh!  I can do that" and does it.  Any more thought than that, even things that seem trivial, has been discussed up one side of the volcano and down the other.  That includes hauling two things at once, putting things in bins before hauling, using mine carts to haul, elevators, etc.  So I'd recommend that further discussion on multiple-object hauling be moved to other threads.  :)
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2009, 08:41:52 pm »

Hauling multiple items at once is a surprisingly difficult thing to do.

Yeah but SOCKS?
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

LegoLord

• Bay Watcher
  • Can you see it now?
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009, 08:49:33 pm »

And bones?  Now, if was a dragon, I can see that, but a dwarf holding a bin or backpack should be able to fit at least two goblin skeletons, including skulls.
"Oh look there is a dragon my clothes might burn let me take them off and only wear steel plate."
And this is how tinned food was invented.
Alternately: The Brick Testament. It's a really fun look at what the bible would look like if interpreted literally. With Legos.
Just so I remember

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2009, 02:59:26 pm »

Ugh.  Surprisingly hard to implement.  There's a lot of simple halfway solutions, but since when have those ever gone in?
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!