Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9

Author Topic: awesomely powerful games  (Read 8515 times)

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: awesomely powerful games
« Reply #75 on: April 13, 2009, 04:35:41 pm »

Oooh, yeah, Crimsonland, I was thinking of that one but couldn't remember the name. Though to be fair you don't really play a godlike figure in it, more like a squishy guy with a really big gun. So yeah, you do mow down hordes of aliens, but they can get you very easily.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: April 13, 2009, 06:02:12 pm »

Oooh, yeah, Crimsonland, I was thinking of that one but couldn't remember the name. Though to be fair you don't really play a godlike figure in it, more like a squishy guy with a really big gun. So yeah, you do mow down hordes of aliens, but they can get you very easily.
But you do get neat perks like pyrokinesis, which is pretty God-like (even though that perk wasn't that useful).

Also, on the subject of God-likeness, Rise of The Triad (2.5D era FPS) had a God-mode powerup, which not only made you invincible, but also made you disintegrate enemies in a flash of light with a wave of your hand (and an audible yawn from your character).

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: April 13, 2009, 06:43:01 pm »

Rise of the Triad was great.  I felt more powerful in that game than I do in most any other FPS.  Rocket weapons everywhere, in every variety, firing at absurdly high ROF even though you only need one rocket to kill most anyone.  One of them even shoots anime missiles!  (The drunk missile, that is.  Shoots four that wander for a bit before heat seeking.)

Dog Mode was even more fun than God Mode because you bite peoples' throats out, and you can charge up for a sonic howl that makes everyone around you explode.  Actually explode.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Sordid

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: April 13, 2009, 07:07:55 pm »

Speaking of biting people's throats out, that reminds me of Aliens vs Predator. Not the shitty movies but the games. Dropping on unsuspecting marines from the ceiling as an alien is awesome fun, and playing as the predator has that same sense of power and endurance that he displays in the movies. Not quite a godlike figure, but blasting those poor guys with puny assault rifles with your mighty shoulder plasma cannon feels pretty damn good. Only the marines are about as squishy as the Crimsonland dude and so not suitable for this thread by any stretch...

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 13, 2009, 07:26:18 pm »

i loved the RTS version, as the aliens, everyhting else sucked

just running around trying to survive, sending hordes of infectious creatures to create stronger creatures out of the bodies and have my "base" as a movable super creature.

god i wish there were more games like that

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: April 13, 2009, 08:06:23 pm »

GOD HAND

This discussion is over.

You're not Alexander!

GOD HAND

This discussion is over.

Noooo... because while your powerful you don't actually fight armies.

The most you fight at once is 5 (or 10)

Also hillariously if you do well in that game you will notice enemies will start to kill you with one hit.

If you get killed, you are no longer doing well!

The freeware game Liberation Army is rather powerful. You're one unit in control of a vast army in real-time. You can give orders as you wish and the objective is usually just to make the enemies rout. You're powerful, but not powerful enough to just wade in and out of combat. If you're really skilled and careful, however, it's possible to become a God of War. In a mecha.

Other than that, I'd suggest a bullet hell games. But bullet hell games don't MAKE you powerful, it's usually the effect at succeeding. Just like in the last two games I mentioned.

You have the potential to kick everyone's asses but not the innate capability.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: April 13, 2009, 08:27:53 pm »

why cant someone just make a "destroy everything to a pulp" game....wipe out buildings bend poles smack people 50 feet away, charge into a stadium with a flamethrower running around very fast and setting everyone on fire and watching them run and set fire to everything else.... o wait half that stuff is doable in dwarf fortress *quickly opens up DF*

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 13, 2009, 08:53:08 pm »

I feel like mentioning warcraft 3 again, there are some hero siege maps that have quite a few enemies. I like x hero siege but they may not spawn uickly enough to really make you feel godly, and at the end it trades in hordes for single heroic opponents. And some of the tower defence maps have a small force fighting a large one.

In jedi academy I recall one of the cheating options was to spawn a creature, you could potentially spawn an absurd number of weak hostiles and then start throwing them away with lightning... Commercial games will generally try to maintain some sense of sanity, you may have better luck looking for mods...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: April 13, 2009, 08:53:54 pm »

why cant someone just make a "destroy everything to a pulp" game....wipe out buildings bend poles smack people 50 feet away, charge into a stadium with a flamethrower running around very fast and setting everyone on fire and watching them run and set fire to everything else.... o wait half that stuff is doable in dwarf fortress *quickly opens up DF*

CPU problems.

Play Dead Rising which has amazing code for handling multiple fully active CPU opponents at once. You will notice slow down when you see multiple machine guns go off at once.

We are far away from that (not that far though).

I am still hoping for a Strategy game where each unit acts individually in combat. Like a game with 100s of Soul Calibur characters going up against eachother.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: April 13, 2009, 09:20:37 pm »

Speaking of biting people's throats out, that reminds me of Aliens vs Predator. Not the shitty movies but the games. Dropping on unsuspecting marines from the ceiling as an alien is awesome fun, and playing as the predator has that same sense of power and endurance that he displays in the movies. Not quite a godlike figure, but blasting those poor guys with puny assault rifles with your mighty shoulder plasma cannon feels pretty damn good. Only the marines are about as squishy as the Crimsonland dude and so not suitable for this thread by any stretch...

I just tried the demo for this as an alien.  Jeez this is hard.  The humans spot my easily, even when I'm on the ceiling, and once they see me I'm as good as dead.

Is there some way to replenish my health?
Shoes...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 13, 2009, 09:22:35 pm »

Aliens get health two ways

1) They claw dead humans (Which eats them for a while)
2) Head Biting live humans

WARNING: Head biting Androids instantly kills you

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: April 13, 2009, 09:37:12 pm »

How do you headbite?  The controls only has buttons for claw and tail.

Nevermind, it turns out there was a readme in the game folder.  I know now.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2009, 09:39:37 pm by Cthulhu »
Shoes...

Soulwynd

• Bay Watcher
  • -_-
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 14, 2009, 01:17:03 am »

CPU problems.
What cpu problems? None of that anymore.

Keiseth

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: April 14, 2009, 01:22:42 am »

What cpu problems? None of that anymore.

Holy crap. It's like what I wanted Red Faction 2 to be.

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #89 on: April 14, 2009, 01:45:41 am »

Hopefully they won't base the entire game around it.
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 9