Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9

Author Topic: awesomely powerful games  (Read 8496 times)

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
awesomely powerful games
« on: April 11, 2009, 08:35:59 pm »

any games out there where you are a single awesomely powerful god like person against an entire army? or at least something similar? i know sacrifice is one of those games but are there any others?
A creature the size of europe can occupy only one tile.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: awesomely powerful games
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 08:43:34 pm »

any games out there where you are a single awesomely powerful god like person against an entire army? or at least something similar? i know sacrifice is one of those games but are there any others?

There arn't actually many like that if I were to take your words litterally.

Heck games where you feel like your up against an army (rather then a series of small groups) are rare.

Okenido

• Bay Watcher
  • Loli Advocate
    • View Profile
    • New Various Nonsense
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 08:45:40 pm »

Just about any Diablo or it's clones...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 08:50:12 pm »

Just about any Diablo or it's clones...

The only part of all Diablo where I felt that I was up against a real army would have to be Diablo 2 expansion pack with the Catapults.

Though if I were to bend my definition a bit... it would be King Leoric from the first Diablo and his army of Skeletons.

Muz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 09:50:20 pm »

IMHO, it only works when it feel realistic, not like those button mashers.

The total war games are cool.
Mount & Blade.
Dominions, definitely.
Conquest of Elysium (where you could make a flimsy necromancer, and then after gathering enough power, you could become an immortal lich and flatten cities solo)
Disclaimer: Any sarcasm in my posts will not be mentioned as that would ruin the purpose. It is assumed that the reader is intelligent enough to tell the difference between what is sarcasm and what is not.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 10:08:50 pm »

Only Shogun Total War had a "One person" unit known as the Sword Savior. Though you can only order them around rather then control them

Mount and Blade you play a Olympic but otherwise human individual.

RANT: Hillariously Mount and Blade can and often does devolve into button mashing mixed in with timing. Which is ONLY funny because it is held up as the true opposite of button mashers and sometimes even technical fighters. One of my major problems with the game is that combat is simplistic to a fault opting out of Tackles, pushing, beat downs, and a few other moves which would make combat less "Lets hope enemies don't team up on me to death" as well the AI needs work and despite being a "Tactical" game it lacks even some simplistic forms of strategy.
-Uhhh Lets just say I've been flamed by someone when I suggested that we should have the ability to push enemies off castles. Oddly despite the fact that I kinda liked the game and was going to buy it before that insudent. Though I don't know if it is because he tainted my experience of if it reminded me of things I didn't like.

Hmm godly individuals... hmmm. I know Supreme Commander had the most powerful ultimate units in all Real Time Strategy (other then ones that instantly end the match) but that is all I can remember other then Dynasty/Samurai/Orochi Warriors or if I stretch the definition a bit... Black and White 2 (but that game wasn't so good)
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 10:28:07 pm by Neonivek »

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 10:28:32 pm »

Black and White 2 (but that game wasn't so good)
WHUAAAAT?
At least it was miles better than it's predessesor, which makes it.. an OK game?
Alright, you got me there.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2009, 10:30:34 pm »

wat

It sucked compared to Black and White 1.  Black and White 1 was awesome, Black and White 2 was an RTS with a tiger.
Shoes...

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2009, 10:35:17 pm »

RTS with a tiger.
What is this game? Where can I get it?

Seriously, I'm a graphics whore-
*Booo! Hiss*
-Yes I know, I know. But not that kind of graphics whore, who doesn't care if the game doesn't start with a 'C' and ends with a 'rysis', but I do have to admit, B&W's graphics were ugly enough to seriously put me off.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2009, 10:37:24 pm »

The difference is that Black and White was good for what it was and actually often played a bit like a Puzzle game as well as a somewhat adorable (and vicous) Virtual pet game. It also had a lot of charm.

Black and White 2 played like a rather poor Strategy game where you never get the resources you need (Honestly... It is like being pernamently poor) where the enemy, who has no power, gets beaten up by a animal (Don't get the creature lightning. Fireball is better). It also took out the Sandboxish appeal that the first Black and White had as well as weakened your connection with your creature turning him more into a tool then a creature rather quickly. It also never had the charm or mission structure the first game had.

However I forgive Black and White 2 and realise that it was taken out of production WAY too early. (Lionhead had no money left. They couldn't actually put it back into production if they wanted to)

The only thing I blame Lionhead for with respect for Black and White 2 is that rather dishonest advertising they did after it was made.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2009, 10:40:07 pm »

So, B&W2 is a halfway decent game, because it is a halfway made game?
Uh... anyone know any mods that would make it so my eyes don't bleed everytime I start up with my old copy of the original?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2009, 10:42:05 pm »

So, B&W2 is a halfway decent game, because it is a halfway made game?

Interestingly enough... Yes

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2009, 10:52:56 pm »

O! i played a game like that but forgot the name. you basically ran around using combos to kill hundreds of men in an army and charge up for an attack the pretty much obliterates everything around you. its just a near endless wave of enemies.

god i wish i could remember its name

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2009, 10:54:46 pm »

Spartan: Total Warrior?

Dragooble

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2009, 10:55:36 pm »

O! i played a game like that but forgot the name. you basically ran around using combos to kill hundreds of men in an army and charge up for an attack the pretty much obliterates everything around you. its just a near endless wave of enemies.

god i wish i could remember its name

yeah... i wish you could remember its name too  :(
A creature the size of europe can occupy only one tile.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 9