Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9

Author Topic: awesomely powerful games  (Read 8504 times)

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
Re: awesomely powerful games
« Reply #60 on: April 13, 2009, 05:31:50 am »

Yep I agree, BfME 2. was quite bad. It's funny, because DoW 2. also sucks, at least that is my opinion. DoW 1. was much better, but again, DoW 2. is a very different game. They've changed the good old concept and they've failed imo.  ::)

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: April 13, 2009, 05:38:15 am »

its the whole thing about shooting and seeing through walls and no height advantage... its pretty much a 2D war in a 1 foot high bush maze

Antioch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: April 13, 2009, 12:13:04 pm »

The cossacks european wars missions with sieges were awsome, especially the siege of Berlin where the hordes of enemies stormed into the breaches while beeing under constant musket and cannon fire. It was also rather hard, the first time I won it was when I thought I had lost because my units were beeing pussed back rather quick and suddenly the reinforcements arrive, sweeping the city clean of enemies
You finish ripping the human corpse of Sigmund into pieces.
This raw flesh tastes delicious!

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 13, 2009, 12:30:29 pm »

That just reminded me of the Battle for Middle Earth (very fine game, if you ask me.  But not the sequel) level with Helm's deep.  No such restrictions.  The objective was "survive".

And when I started really getting into the skirmishes, I had another one.

Those were awesome war stories.  I don't know how the resource model in those games work but was it possible you somehow actually exhausted the AI's resources?
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 13, 2009, 12:41:01 pm »

Nope.  Resource system works like this:

You place a building in your city.  Every fifteen seconds or so, it gives you +15 "resources" (indicated by a barrel.  So, apparently, the only important thing in life is getting stone drunk).  After it's done this a hundred or so times, it now makes +21 (or so) resources every time. It does this a couple times and then stops in its fully-upgraded form (buildings are upgraded by use, a mechanic that I fell in love with very quickly).

It is utterly impossible to deplete resources so long as you've still got one of those buggers chugging away.  Evil races can get an extra boost by building lumber camps and harvesting nearby trees, and those DO run out, but they still have a few slaughterhouses or furnaces to keep the war effort going.

And besides, both of these guys could create basic infantry units for FREE.  An orcish warrior squad only costs the time to make them and the population space.  No resources required.

I really don't know *what* happened.  I think it's possible the "AI" basically just had a checklist it ran through when building units or doing stuff, and it eventually just ran dry.  Seems like a stupid design, but I really don't know what would cause an AI player to begin utilizing "Sitting Duck" style combat.

EDIT:  Also, this is getting dangerously off-topic.  Err...  Titan Quest?  It's pretty much Diablo II 2 (I actually thought I was playing Diablo II at one point, before I saw yet another moon clan satyr die and go ragdolling across the landscape), so there's not really a whole lot of the "horde" aspect...

I can't shake the feeling that I've played one of these things...  Damn annoying not being able to remember what it was.

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 13, 2009, 12:51:21 pm »

o! that reminded me of an indie game that lets you take on thousands of aliens....alien shooter, played it on gametap and its awsome, foudn the best to be machinegun and flamethrower for the missles. you really get to rip through 10000's of aliens with 10000000's of bullets *laughs manically*

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 13, 2009, 12:56:06 pm »

Speaking of which, Phobia (free) and Crimsonland (not free). You simply fight endless hordes of aliens on a single, scrollable screen either till you die or some limit is reached.

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: April 13, 2009, 01:29:07 pm »

Phobia III is ridiculously hard in survival mode. No mouse control in a game like this makes for some really hectic fights.

On the same topic, there's RiP, a Crimsonland spinoff.

Any decent scroll-shooter also qualifies then, like Jets'n'Guns. Especially Jets'n'Guns.

In the old game Recoil, you have a state-of-the-art tank machine thingy (more like a Military Mashup Machine, since over the course of the game it can learn to convert into a boat, a hovercraft, and a submarine, not to mention you eventually get to choose from like 20 weapons) that fights its way through quite a lot of other machines. I really love that game, if only for the tether-guided nukes.

Aaand, what else? Does GTA:San Andreas count? Get a minigun with a crapload of ammo and see how long you can endure against the tides of policemen.
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: April 13, 2009, 02:16:41 pm »

o! that reminded me of an indie game that lets you take on thousands of aliens....alien shooter, played it on gametap and its awsome, foudn the best to be machinegun and flamethrower for the missles. you really get to rip through 10000's of aliens with 10000000's of bullets *laughs manically*

Next time tell us the name of the game.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 13, 2009, 02:20:49 pm »

He did. "Alien Shooter".

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."

LASD

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 13, 2009, 03:35:34 pm »

I don't think anyone mentioned Odama yet. Though in this game you aren't one man mowing down army after army, you're a man who commands a giant ball (and an army) that can mow down army after army.

But you got to admit, that's quite a godly power.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: April 13, 2009, 03:53:21 pm »

He did. "Alien Shooter".

What kind of name is that? Judging from his past typing style, I just thought that was bad grammar. Not to mention he did not capitalize it.

A pretty weird name...
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 13, 2009, 03:59:48 pm »

As TVTropes say, Exactly What It Says On The Tin. You shoot aliens, the game is "Alien Shooter". There was even a sequel, though I don't know if I liked it more or less. At least it had vehicles.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: April 13, 2009, 04:04:09 pm »

Well. Good to know. I thought he just made a grammatical mistake. "An alien shooter." is what I thought.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 13, 2009, 04:27:33 pm »

technically, i used correct grammar, but bad capitalization
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 9