Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9

Author Topic: awesomely powerful games  (Read 8495 times)

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: awesomely powerful games
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2009, 12:38:05 am »

This conversation is starting to devolve into: "Lets describe any game where you are powerful and kill a lot of people"

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2009, 12:55:43 am »

thats pretty much what the OP is asking for  :P

Sowelu

• Bay Watcher
  • I am offishially a penguin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2009, 03:52:34 am »

Because I'd heard good things about Serious Sam, here's your massive armies.

Wow, I never thought I'd see the day when I thought graphics like those were dated, but there ya go.
Some things were made for one thing, for me / that one thing is the sea~
His servers are going to be powered by goat blood and moonlight.
Oh, a biomass/24 hour solar facility. How green!

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2009, 05:03:16 am »

thats pretty much what the OP is asking for  :P

Well the problem is that he said: Godlike and Armies

IndonesiaWarMinister

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2009, 05:07:33 am »

Oh, Drakengard is mentioned?

God-damn, that game was sick.
Real sick.
If only the USA version is not cens*red...

Kagus

• Bay Watcher
  • Olive oil. Don't you?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2009, 05:14:30 am »

Never played the first Serious Sam, but I played Serious Sam 2 (or rather, the demo) around the same time I tried Painkiller (or rather, the demo).  Have to say that I preferred Painkiller, even though sending a bomb-laden parrot to blow up in the face of an alien football player or clockwork rhino is indeed tons of fun.

Painkiller just had style, and it had weapons that were really interesting combos that made you wonder why no one else had put them into games before.  Using the titular Painkiller to clear out an entire hallway (either by using the ranged attack on a wall or by using the special-special attack to just chew them up) was loads of fun, as was finally mastering the art of tossing a grenade and then punting it with the stakethrower to make a makeshift rocket.

Or, heck just using the stakethrower to pin some goon to the wall.

And it even included periods where you would transform into a demonic entity who could literally shatter living enemies by just looking at them.

I've got this little itch in the back of my head that tells me I've played exactly this kind of game before...  But I can't remember what it was.

Black and White is always good for a run-around, but even though that's close (throwing fireballs at villagers, picking up villagers and tossing them, picking up rocks and throwing them at villagers, throwing fireballs at rocks and then throwing the flaming rocks at villagers, teaching your creature to crap on eat villagers, the list goes on and on), it's still not quite the same thing.

Uhhm...  Lemme think about this for a while...  I'd really like to remember that game, because I'd like to play it too...

Sean Mirrsen

• Bay Watcher
  • Bearer of the Psionic Flame
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2009, 05:50:44 am »

There was also Armed and Dangerous...  granted, you are usually accompanied by two more individuals and get to fight literal armies only in special turret levels, but it's on par with Serious Sam with the humor and derangedness. Weapons like "Landshark Launcher" or "Topsy-Turvy Gun" are the most memorable. And one of your companions is a humanoid robot teapot. Yea...
Multiworld Madness Archive:
Game One, Discontinued at World 3.
Game Two, Discontinued at World 1.

"Europe has to grow out of the mindset that Europe's problems are the world's problems, but the world's problems are not Europe's problems."
- Subrahmanyam Jaishankar, Minister of External Affairs, India

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2009, 05:58:19 am »

Left 4 Dead. That is all.

Edit: On expert mode.

Or in the yet-to-come Survivor mode where you literally hold out against a zerg rush made from a red shirt army.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 08:15:10 am by Yanlin »
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

RAM

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2009, 06:28:09 am »

I recall some moderately large battles in one of the games from those lord of the rings movies. It was a third person deal based on the last movie with unlockable characters if I recall correctly. Alot of it was just background enemies that didn't do anything, but there were a couple of scenes which seemed to have about a dozen people trying to kill you at once.
 There might be some warcraft three custom maps that have one hero wading through hordes of enemies...
Vote (1) for the Urist scale!
I shall be eternally happy. I shall be able to construct elf hunting giant mecha. Which can pour magma.
Urist has been forced to use a friend as fertilizer lately.
Read the First Post!

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2009, 09:18:39 am »

Dominions, definitely.

This. 1 SC [supercombattant - these are usually high tier summoned units or "Gods"] can take out an entire army alone.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2009, 09:53:29 am »

Or in the yet-to-come Survivor mode where you literally hold out against a zerg rush made from a red shirt army.

I didn't know they were coming out with that until just now.   And I just uninstalled L4D yesterday.  Now I'm gonna have to reinstall it.
Shoes...

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2009, 12:11:29 pm »

when is that update coming out? i might just donate money to valve if it comes out for free

Torak

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Gods of Blood.
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2009, 12:16:17 pm »

Dominions, definitely.

This. 1 SC [supercombattant - these are usually high tier summoned units or "Gods"] can take out an entire army alone.

Play with the Epic Heroes mod on in Dominions 3, and as Bakemono. Your National Hero can literally demolish (Nay, obliterate) each and every single thing in the game. be it Pretenter Dragons (in one case Cthulhu) or an entire army consisting of nothing but Lava Warriors backed by a level 5 priest.

Small spoiler
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
As you journey to the center of the world, feel free to read the death announcements of those dwarves that suffer your neglect.

One billion b-balls dribbling simultaneously throughout the galaxy. One trillion b-balls being slam dunked through a hoop throughout the cosmos. I can feel every single b-ball that has ever existed at my fingertips, I can feel their collective knowledge channeling through my veins. Every jumpshot, every rebound and three-pointer, every layup, dunk and free throw.

Wooty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2009, 12:30:07 pm »

I recall some moderately large battles in one of the games from those lord of the rings movies. It was a third person deal based on the last movie with unlockable characters if I recall correctly. Alot of it was just background enemies that didn't do anything, but there were a couple of scenes which seemed to have about a dozen people trying to kill you at once.

You're thinking of LOTR:The fellowship of the ring, LOTR: the two towers, and LOTR: (guess). The only one I've really played is the third one, and it had a few decent sized battles, but nothing more than 250 enemies coming at you in waves or a slow trickle. There was one level where there's a fairly large battle constantly raging, but you can't join it or you'll run out of time for your other objectives.
Quote from: Toady One
It's important to wear lots of face paint while you program. And you can type with your long Gene Simmons tongue.

Virtz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2009, 01:53:39 pm »

The Dynasty Warriors games come to mind. Run around a battlefield, killing hordes of enemies and enemy commanders. In theory, you didn't fight alone, but everyone else on your side pretty much sucked most of the time and the battle would be lost without your input (input as in murdering half the enemy commanders, killing hundreds of enemy troops and clearing all the spawnpoints).

The Star Wars: Battlefront and LOTR: Conquest games pretty much have you doing all the work in singleplayer. Although in Conquest it's just annoying - if you fail any objective at any time when you're not scripted to fail it, you lose and have to start over. Even if you're guarding some shitty wall segment, which is going to fall regardless. Similarly in Battlefront II, but not nearly as annoying.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 9