Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 83

Author Topic: Do not trust the Rainbow Snail (Updated 2/09/11)  (Read 99271 times)

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
Re: Do not trust the Rainbow Snail
« Reply #795 on: November 18, 2010, 11:50:14 pm »

Has anyone else seen parallels between this city and Tock? Specifically, the residents that are under control of the malicious power (the angel gang in this case, everyone but Red in Tock) are very weak (mentally in Tock, physically here). The guy Sofia kicked just seemed to crumble under her unskilled bashing, and everyone in Tock was kept mentally weak by the happy pills. Are all city residents so weak? Or does being under the influence of the powers we oppose make them weak to us? I wonder.

KaminaSquirtle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #796 on: November 18, 2010, 11:53:24 pm »

Yep, I'm seeing them all over.

I think they're so weak because they're just mindlings.  Didn't Scratches once say that only very few could actually kill, or cause any real change?  John and Sophia are two of those.
They are way more powerful than pretty much any other beings here.

Scood

• Bay Watcher
  • The cake is both a lie and truth until observed
    • View Profile
« Reply #797 on: November 19, 2010, 12:08:23 am »

holly crap i just realized how extremely long Sophia's hair is. when the hell was the last time she had a haircut.....hmmmm now that i think about it she does have a blond streak. so it have been recently

oh and i think if thats true there are many more cities....as there are many more reasons than those two for a person to be considered weak.

i would say it more about John and sophia. sophia is mentally weak but physically strong, John is mentally strong but physically weak.
...............___@@@__                  
......_____//__?__I_?_\______
----o--THIS IS THE POLICE-@)
-----`--(@)=====+====(@)-----

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #798 on: November 19, 2010, 12:37:56 am »

The NOT-CLOCKS.
They are the enemy.
But we have other enemies.
Like the JOYFULL ONES.

Crush Them With Your Soul

Do You Have A Dream Of Industry?
Use It.

Argonnek

• Bay Watcher
  • Surging Forward
    • View Profile
« Reply #799 on: November 19, 2010, 12:40:52 am »

John was mentally strong? He was so out of it that he took direct orders from us, the voices in his head.

Scood

• Bay Watcher
  • The cake is both a lie and truth until observed
    • View Profile
« Reply #800 on: November 19, 2010, 12:45:03 am »

you might have a point....im thinking that us, the voices in his head, are essentially him. i was thinking that tock proved his mental ability while his fight with angel proves his physical ability.
...............___@@@__                  
......_____//__?__I_?_\______
----o--THIS IS THE POLICE-@)
-----`--(@)=====+====(@)-----

Armok

• Bay Watcher
  • God of Blood
    • View Profile
« Reply #801 on: November 19, 2010, 08:06:56 am »

This changes nothing.
They are "puppets", but what does that mean? Presumably, that they are in on form or another, remote controlled, fully or partially, by another entity.
But here's the thing: there are very many, and they are controlled 24/7 and in much greater detail than a human playing a role. Each one requires it's own chunk of substrate - be it actual brain tissue, a computer, some kind of dream essence, magic, or anything else - dedicated to it. Further, even if the hardware is the same the models of their mind must be kept separate in order to stay in character, as you always have to do when roleplaying multiple characters. The model of each mind still needs to be imagined to think that whatever pain, joy, loyalties and choices it makes are real, and the computation of this unavoidably subsumes a computation of those things themselves.
The bottom line is: these are people, their minds don't reside in their body, but even if neither they nor the puppeteer nor anyone else but you realize this, it is fact: The only way to give an illusion of personhood this good, one that have held up for years, is to create what is for moral purposes an ACTUAL person. Intentionally or not.
A person are, at the very core, an idea, information. There is no such thing as an illusion of information, you cannot name an image of a text without it containing the actual text, there's just the very same information presented through a different substrate. Substrate has no bearing on morality.

Your past self may even believe what she is saying, and the puppet might be pulling a bluff, but that doesn't matter. You are Sophia, and you name is not a coincidence. A truth may be unintentional from someone trying to lie, and the nature of progress is that you are wiser than your own past.
Ultimately, it is a question of morality. Is moral agency being an independent structure made from carbon, or the ability to think and feel?
So says Armok, God of blood.
Sszsszssoo...
Sszsszssaaayysss...
III...

dragnar

• Bay Watcher
  • [Glub]
    • View Profile
« Reply #802 on: November 19, 2010, 09:33:13 am »

We don't know enough to go around breaking the puppets just yet. Head to the source.
From this thread, I learned that video cameras have a dangerosity of 60 kiloswords per second.  Thanks again, Mad Max.

iceball3

• Bay Watcher
  • Miaou~
    • View Profile
    • My DA
« Reply #803 on: November 19, 2010, 03:58:11 pm »

Hm, isn't john technically a puppet to us?
Just saying.

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #804 on: November 19, 2010, 04:38:01 pm »

GIRL

PLEASE CONSIDER DANCING, GIRL.

CERTAIN FACTIONS IN OPPOSITION TO THE FACTIONS CURRENTLY AT LARGE ARE KNOWN TO BE ATTRACTED TO DANCERS WITH PSYCHIC ABILITIES.

(ALTHOUGH THEIR SUMMONING MAY LEAD TO GREATER PROBLEMS IN THE FUTURE, FIXING THESE PROBLEMS IS RATHER THE POINT OF THIS ENTIRE EXERCISE; WITHOUT CAUSING THE PROBLEMS THEY CANNOT BE FIXED)
Long Live United Forenia!

penguify

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #805 on: November 19, 2010, 08:08:34 pm »

Hm, isn't john technically a puppet to us?
Just saying.
I think Armok already covered that, a while ago.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
« Reply #806 on: November 19, 2010, 08:17:39 pm »

puch gang member who is freaking out in the face and then run like hell.
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

abculatter_2

• Bay Watcher
  • HOPE!
    • View Profile
« Reply #807 on: November 19, 2010, 09:41:07 pm »

(ALTHOUGH THEIR SUMMONING MAY LEAD TO GREATER PROBLEMS IN THE FUTURE, FIXING THESE PROBLEMS IS RATHER THE POINT OF THIS ENTIRE EXERCISE; WITHOUT CAUSING THE PROBLEMS THEY CANNOT BE FIXED)

This logic is flawless and I believe it should be followed wholeheartedly at all times.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2010, 09:43:39 pm by abculatter_2 »
Don't think of it as being besieged by thralls/husks, think of it as having your own personal moat of life hating mutilated menaces

Now wall yourself in quickly

mcclay

• Bay Watcher
  • Gay, Tired and Just here to Vibe
    • View Profile
« Reply #808 on: November 20, 2010, 10:49:24 am »

uh, guys did you notice that the dead guy's pupils are broken hearts. That might be bad.

anyways to as I said before but wi=ithout punching the gang member's and running to the string place.
Am I back? Its a mystery to everyone

NUKE9.13

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #809 on: November 20, 2010, 12:06:33 pm »

uh, guys did you notice that the dead guy's pupils are broken hearts. That might be bad.

anyways to as I said before but wi=ithout punching the gang member's and running to the string place.
Heh heh heh.
The broken hearts are a symbol of sophia's power. Their presence is a good thing, indicating her deteriorating mental state and increasing psychic powers- she used these to sever the puppets strings. Later, her powers will increase. By the time she dies and becomes an angel (a real angel, not a cultist), it will be a symbol that she flaunts upon her chest, confident in the fear it will inspire in others- beware, it says- this person owes no allegiance to the eye, the scavengers, or anyone else- she is a faction on her own.
Funny Stuff!

Anyway having reread sophia's motives, I must conclude that my previously suggested action was completely wrong. Heartbreaker must stand alone, unsupported and unsupporting. She will need weapons for this purpose.

Go home, Girl. Get some scissors. Afterwards, we shall go to the center, and start cutting strings until someone tells us where John is.
Long Live United Forenia!
Pages: 1 ... 52 53 [54] 55 56 ... 83