Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14

Author Topic: Masters of the Stars. RESTARTING THIS GAME. 3/5 Players needed  (Read 9829 times)

LSTAR

• Bay Watcher
  • Has Sprung From Ambush!
    • View Profile
    • Second Hand News

http://img24.imageshack.us/img24/2062/abetterexample.jpg

Here's what I've got so far. It's not elegant and it's not pretty, but it's got a few more mechanics in place.

I'll give y'all a better run through how the thing actually works tomorrow. As I believe Nilocy's already pointed out though, it's almost 4AM.

I bid you good night, Gentlemen!
"Slaves to Ciko Suppermuffin: Goddess of Food."

The man, the blog, the manblog.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile

What the hell is 'Boni!'?

Lear

• Bay Watcher
  • IRO-Bot will never die.
    • View Profile
    • the-crowing-is-near on deviantArt.

The plural of bonus.

This looks to be quite interesting, I've attempted to make a space empire building game but it was too complicated and gave it up. :-\
Those were the days, The End Complete.
deviantART - My artworks, let me show you them!

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile

It should be simplified somewhat with dice.

Little

• Bay Watcher
  • IN SOVIET RUSSIA, LITTLE IS YOU!
    • View Profile

Btw, if my idea doesn't work with the mechanics, I can easily change it.
Blizzard is managed by dark sorcerers, and probably have enough money to bail-out the federal government.

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile

GaiaCorp has gained the ire of many of it's competitors, especially Defense Corp and The Bradwell Organization.

The incident that really took the cake with DefCo has already been stated. The Bradwell organization despises the company for "Stealing our rightful place as the first colonizers of Mars'. It's only a matter of time before these tensions result in something catastrophic.
Once tried to conquer Earth, and succeeded! Too bad it got really, really boring, really, really fast.

One day, we shall all look back on this, and laugh. Sorry about the face, by the way, and the legs, and the eyes, and the arms. In fact, sorry 'bout the whole body.

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile

We should just join forces TNME.

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile

Yes, I agree. So, what kind of alliance should we have?
Once tried to conquer Earth, and succeeded! Too bad it got really, really boring, really, really fast.

One day, we shall all look back on this, and laugh. Sorry about the face, by the way, and the legs, and the eyes, and the arms. In fact, sorry 'bout the whole body.

Emperor_Jonathan

• Bay Watcher
  • GET UP SUCKER
    • View Profile

Dunno.

The Alliance to Dominate Everyone Else (TADEE)?

TheNewerMartianEmperor

• Bay Watcher
  • ♥She'd cut you up!♥
    • View Profile

Wait, you're Defense Corp aren't you? Sorry, but that's a no-go. I mean really now, with a CEO like your's I doubt that he'd be willing to have any dealings with us after "The Venus Incident."  Even if he did, I seriously doubt that both of our companies would be willing to ally. My guys at least have a sense of compassion for human life.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile

Folks, this isn't a time for war. This is a time to figure out how this game will play out! So whats the initial thoughts on the FATE CARDs and the stats/attributes/resource system?

Ok so the current idea for the economics/industry side is that.
1. Everything grows at the same multiplier by default. Everyone will effectively grow at the same rate unless they devote a major action into increase industrial or economic capacity. More money can be made from increase economics at a fairly substantial risk though. Whereas increasing industry is a sure fire way to getting more money, but at a much slower rate.
2. The economic climate (how well everythings in the global market is doing). This will be determined at the lowest level by the FATE CARDs and what everyone got for their numbers. I'll take an average of it, and for example number 5 is a stagnant economy, less is going into recession, higher means its growing. This will be subject to alot of things I will roll for, such as rate of expansion. The faster humans expand the more markets open up.
3. When money is spent it increases the modifiers on rolls and that. So say if you spend 1 money point into tech, you'll research stuff faster than normal.
4. Espionage. This costs money, and can be used for a variety of things. Corporate killings/data theft/screwing over your opponents at every oppertunity. Adds a -1 modifier to what ever rolls they want.
5. Technology. This can be researched, and i'll make up break throughs that occur within your research departments. Its up to you what you do with them, keep them for yourslef and get modifiers or roll them out for the public making them like you more? Up to you. I'll do this on the fly.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 08:16:06 am by Nilocy »

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile

Ok! My first course of action: Hire hundreds of hax04z to implant subconcious dreams of Mars, and instill hope in their young, adoleceant minds. Meanwhile, get a bunch of hobo's or something off the streets on Earth to set up fliers everywhere. When our Government appeal and public appeal is high enough, lobby to congress for funding in order to build our colonies and reasearch labs on Mars.

Nilocy

• Bay Watcher
  • Queen of a Community.
    • View Profile

Well, i doubt the earth governments, the UN or the UEC will enjoy people being sent to mars who will be brainwashed. That'd prolly cost you alot of time and resources to cover up. Not to mention if you were found out, then you'd probably be jailed for life.

Buuut, that wasn't what i was asking about. How do you lot think that economic/industry system works?

LSTAR

• Bay Watcher
  • Has Sprung From Ambush!
    • View Profile
    • Second Hand News

A little word on the game...

1. The numbers on the turn card do not reflect Skill or Power. Although they do take bonuses into account, what a Turn Card figure shows is whether it's a good time to do something or not. They are randomly generated every turn.

If Industry turns up 9 on your Turn Card, it might be a good time to start churning out branded consumer goods for the next wave of Space Colonists.

If Espionage comes out 3, it probably isn't the best time to try and steal your competitors new Hydroponics technique.

Seeing as Turn Cards are personalised for the player, they already take ito account bonuses for technology, etc.

2. Interestingly, as you might have noticed from "The New Average" on the last screenshot I posted, the system is now self balancing (*crosses fingers*) with the target numbers for dice rolls being determined by the overall positions of all players. The amount you beat the New Average by determines how well you succeed... or how badly you fail if you're unable to compare with your competitors...

This should hopefully keep the game balanced in late play. Hopefully.

3. There's a reason the Attributes on the Turn Card are colour coded.

Public Relations and Politics allow you to improve your Public and Government Appeal, respectively (or lower a competitor's...).  These are the closest we've got to hit points. The higher your appeals, the more narrative control you'll have over the game.

Industry and Economics are the Attributes used to gather Resources. Industry guarantees at least a trickle of income, whereas Economics offers the chance of great wealth, with the risk of even greater losses. Economics uses the Economic Climate figure (the average of all players Economics Stat on any given turn) as a target number. Resources can be used to boost any roll. Spend 5 resources, gain +5 to the roll.

Research is used to develop new Technologies and Techniques, giving you bonuses to rolls later in the game. Espionage is used to steal (or neutralise) competitors bonuses, without their knowledge.

4. A standard roll is...

[1D10 + Turn Card Bonus + Resources + Any Good RP Bonus] vs The New Average
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 09:21:57 am by LSTAR »
"Slaves to Ciko Suppermuffin: Goddess of Food."

The man, the blog, the manblog.

woose1

• Bay Watcher
  • Yay for bandwagons!
    • View Profile

Buuut, that wasn't what i was asking about. How do you lot think that economic/industry system works?
I think we should get actual raw materials  from mining, further processed materials from workshops, and then sell those goods on the global market, manually.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14