Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: The AI is a bunch of sissies, fish drown, etc  (Read 5221 times)

Alopix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
The AI is a bunch of sissies, fish drown, etc
« on: April 11, 2009, 02:13:16 pm »

The only major complaint I have so far is console spam in adventure mode. It seems every time I enter a town, some poor tool has a "slightly injured fourth toe left foot" or equally inane ailment, and so every other step, "Urist McWimpy gives in to pain/has regained consciousness." And he limps around like that, occasionally dropping a glove for some reason. I've seen 6-7 instances of this, surely it's a bug, especially since one of the creatures doing this was a DRAGON I was quested to kill, who I walked up to unhindered and strangled to death because it was taking a nap due to "slightly injured nose".

Also, I've taken the habit of training swimming and combat by chasing schools of carp, pike, and gar downriver with a hammer. Very effective, although the blood kills the framerate if you let it catch up. But every once in a while I'll be in an area with moderate temperatures(so I'm pretty sure they aren't just reaching a dried up part of the river or getting frozen) about a dozen various fish will "drown" within two or so turns. It's pretty odd.
Nothing like a romantic dinner of raw mushrooms in the glow of pure hate and destruction

Broose

• Bay Watcher
  • Pilfering Gatorhead
    • View Profile
Re: The AI is a bunch of sissies, fish drown, etc
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 02:50:11 pm »

I've never seen people giving in to pain easily like that, but I do hate the spam you get when people are fighting half across the map.

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 03:12:52 pm »

It's not a bug, they were just wounded during world generation.  If a person loses an item, chances are he actually lost that limb during worldgen.  Next version is dealing with that.
Shoes...

Alopix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 03:26:16 pm »

Hmm... amputated and lightly injured are slightly different shades of grey. Next time I'll have to clobber them over the head so I can compare injury colors.
Nothing like a romantic dinner of raw mushrooms in the glow of pure hate and destruction

Nerserus

• Bay Watcher
  • Rawr.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2009, 01:26:15 pm »

The only major complaint I have so far is console spam in adventure mode. It seems every time I enter a town, some poor tool has a "slightly injured fourth toe left foot" or equally inane ailment, and so every other step, "Urist McWimpy gives in to pain/has regained consciousness." And he limps around like that, occasionally dropping a glove for some reason. I've seen 6-7 instances of this, surely it's a bug, especially since one of the creatures doing this was a DRAGON I was quested to kill, who I walked up to unhindered and strangled to death because it was taking a nap due to "slightly injured nose".

Also, I've taken the habit of training swimming and combat by chasing schools of carp, pike, and gar downriver with a hammer. Very effective, although the blood kills the framerate if you let it catch up. But every once in a while I'll be in an area with moderate temperatures(so I'm pretty sure they aren't just reaching a dried up part of the river or getting frozen) about a dozen various fish will "drown" within two or so turns. It's pretty odd.

Actually fish in real life drown if you drag them backwards.
stack of 10 prepared dragonfly brains - I'm trying to imagine what's more funny: a dwarf popping a tiny dragonfly brain into his mouth for a snack, the butcher who actually prepared this feast, or the brave hunter who ventured out into the wilderness and returned with this bounty.

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2009, 05:34:12 pm »

[citation needed]
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2009, 05:52:09 pm »

For the record, fish in DF "drown" when they aren't in the water. Like how fish can't breathe air in real life, but the tags may be off in the game.

That's why DF skeletal carp are so dangerous. They can chase you onto dry land.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2009, 06:30:14 pm »

For the record, fish in DF "drown" when they aren't in the water.

they also drown in less than 3/7 water.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Cthulhu

• Bay Watcher
  • A squid
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2009, 11:21:09 pm »

Lies.
Shoes...

KaelGotDwarves

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:FIRE_ELF]
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2009, 02:22:17 am »

For the record, fish in DF "drown" when they aren't in the water.

they also drown in less than 3/7 water.
Yes. That's because over 3/7 water is considered "deep water" where non-aquatic creatures without swimming skill will drown unless they don't breath or acquire that swimming skill quickly.

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2009, 02:46:44 am »

I was once sent on a mission to kill a dragon in a cave. Ash piles all over the place. Constant messages of animals dying from heat, presumably from the dragon's breath. I kept looking around unsuccessfully until I checked the log menu.

Only to find the dragon also died in the heat. MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

Then there was the time my fortress was invaded by a severely wounded Titan that just kinda stumbled around in front of the fortress complaining about it's knee until someone shot at it a few times.

Alternately, as an adventuring wrestler, I I broke almost every bone in some guy's body, let him live, and he somehow managed to drag himself back to his city.
!!&!!

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2009, 08:46:10 am »

Wouldn't you basically fall unconscious from pain overload if you tried to do that?
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

Raz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2009, 06:15:55 pm »

Lies.
Actually, no. I do know for a fact that some types of sharks need to swim forwards, or atleast move through water to get the oxigen through their gills. If they stay stationary, they will suffocate.
"I can't wait to procrastinate!"

Yanlin

• Bay Watcher
  • Legendary comedian.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 14, 2009, 10:37:13 am »

But sharks != all fish.
WE NEED A SLOGAN!

MagmaDeath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 14, 2009, 11:18:46 am »

Lies.
Actually, no. I do know for a fact that some types of sharks need to swim forwards, or atleast move through water to get the oxigen through their gills. If they stay stationary, they will suffocate.
I confirm this
Knowledge=Power=Energy=Matter=Mass.
Pages: [1] 2 3