Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2

Author Topic: Need Dwarf Fortress Release Info.  (Read 2414 times)

Indra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Need Dwarf Fortress Release Info.
« on: April 11, 2009, 01:56:59 pm »

Hello, the Dwarf Fortress game page at MobyGames needs to be severely updated. Can anyone kindly direct me to a file/link that provides complete version release information AND when it was released. If such a file does not exist (checked the file changes.txt, it didn't have any dates [edit] and the release notes.txt, though providing some dates, have none for earlier releases), can the postings of version releases in the forums be adequate as offical release dates?

Secondly, there seems to be a problem with the official title. Should it be:
A. Slaves to Armok II: Dwarf Fortress, or
B. Slaves to Armok: God of Blood - Chapter II: Dwarf Fortress, or
C. [edit and confused] Slaves to Armok: God of Blood - Chapter II: Dwarf Fortress - Histories of Gluttoney and Determination (though I couldn've sworn the last sub-title changes every couple of releases?).

Much obliged.
-Indra
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 02:21:30 pm by Indra »

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Need Dwarf Fortress Release Info.
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 02:21:03 pm »

I think http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev_now.html has information about all the releases. Not entirely sure what you're asking, though, but that seems closest to your question.

As far as the title goes, the original game that Toady began developing upon which this one is based was called "Slaves To Armok: God of Blood," and this one is technically "Slaves To Armok: God of Blood - Chapter II: Dwarf Fortress." So to answer your question, B is technically correct, but I think simply calling it "Dwarf Fortress" is a bit nicer and also technically correct, as that is what Toady usually refers to it as, I think.

As for the release date on that page. (2006!?) Is it possible to change that to N/A or "Ongoing" or something like that?
The page could use a few more gameplay screenshots, too.

EDIT: Just realized that he hasn't actually released a new version since last year, so you're going to have to scroll down and click on the "2008 Log" link to see the changes leading up to the last release. There are, of course, the SDL releases over the last few months, but those aren't exactly "official."
« Last Edit: April 11, 2009, 02:24:35 pm by Tahin »

Indra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 02:30:06 pm »

I think http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/dev_now.html has information about all the releases. Not entirely sure what you're asking, though, but that seems closest to your question.

As for the release date on that page. (2006!?) Is it possible to change that to N/A or "Ongoing" or something like that?

The page could use a few more gameplay screenshots, too.

Thanks for the reply. Already checked out that page, pretty confusing. The release info.txt file is more to what I'm looking for. Have sent in corrections for the existing release info (and will later add the rest), it should later look like this:

Developed by: Bay 12 Games

Release Date:  Sept 6, 2008
Comments: v0.28.181.40d

---
Don't worry about the rest. Big DF fan (almost the perfect strategy game period in my book), will revise the description and add screenshots in the near future (mood depending). Later.

Jay

• Bay Watcher
  • ☼Not Dead Yet☼
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 03:50:31 pm »

The Histories of thing is randomized on every startup of the game.
Mishimanriz: Histories of Pegasi and Dictionaries

Exponent

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 05:25:46 pm »

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 05:35:40 pm »

I find this quite amusing. I'd suggest not including the Release Date, since it changes quite frequently. It's more appropriate to say something akin to, "Continuous Releases" or something. Should be clear that it's a public alpha and not nearly complete.
!!&!!

Tahin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 05:58:56 pm »

That's what I said. Is that possible with that website or does it require a date? I'm not terribly familiar with it.

Even N/A would be more appropriate.

Indra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2009, 02:30:41 pm »

It's more appropriate to say something akin to, "Continuous Releases" or something. Should be clear that it's a public alpha and not nearly complete.
Er. That's partially the problem (er, no that IS the problem). Actually, because DF is in alpha, thus technically deemed "incomplete" it really shouldn't be in the database. MG Policy requires only completed games be accepted (no alpha's, beta's, etc.) But the nerd persona's are in disagreement. :)

Then again, DF has been in alpha for how many years? Tricky, this policy.

And yes, all releases require a date.
[edit] And if possible, we document all releases. Games having more than 100-200 release info is not uncommon in MG. Though usually its patch release dates.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2009, 04:01:00 pm by Indra »

Indra

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2009, 03:58:21 pm »

Oh, one other thing. Are the release dates and game versions for Macintosh and Windows always the same?

Ampersand

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 12, 2009, 04:24:29 pm »

As far as I know, yes, but if you're going to be going that far, you should also include the 40d1 through 40d11 releases, which only update the graphical engine to be more compatible with older graphics cards, and can seriously increase performance on some PCs. In addition, those releases include the linux version.
!!&!!

PMantix

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 12, 2009, 05:50:40 pm »

Actually, because DF is in alpha, thus technically deemed "incomplete" it really shouldn't be in the database.

Let's be honest now, DF is more "complete" than most games could ever hope to be.

But the nerd persona's are in disagreement. :)

Just my honest opinion ;)

Draco18s

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2009, 11:40:37 pm »

Oh, one other thing. Are the release dates and game versions for Macintosh and Windows always the same?

The date might vary by a day or two, but generally yes, they're the same.

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2009, 02:17:22 am »

Yeah, DF is pretty dang feature-filled now. Imagine what it'll be by the time version 1.0 comes out.  8) :o 8) :o
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Tormy

• Bay Watcher
  • I shall not pass?
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2009, 06:29:50 am »

Yeah, DF is pretty dang feature-filled now. Imagine what it'll be by the time version 1.0 comes out.  8) :o 8) :o

Well, we've talked about this countless times already....considering that even this alpha version is very addictive...v1.0 will force you to uninstall all other games, because you will only spend your precious time on DF after that point.  :D

Eviltyphoon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2009, 06:57:55 am »

Well, we've talked about this countless times already....considering that even this alpha version is very addictive...v1.0 will force you to uninstall all other games, because you will only spend your precious time on DF after that point.  :D

And because savegames will be HUGE!!!!!!!!!!1111!!!!1111!!!

Also, it will take a minimum of 5 years to fully learn to play.
"If you can't build a tower upon a sheer cliff face over which you may throw precisely one hundred and fifty-two kittens and seven stalwart dwarves to their explosive doom some fifty stories below, then brother, your game ain't much of a sandbox, is it?"
Pages: [1] 2