Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Making trading less profitable  (Read 615 times)

Benkyo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
Making trading less profitable
« on: April 11, 2009, 09:34:32 am »

Couldn't find any reference to this, but is there any way to make it so that anything not explicitly asked for by traders is bought for about 10% of the normal price?

So, for instance, they asked for instruments last year so my pile of rock instruments sells for 120-150% or whatever, as usual. They did not ask for rock goblets, idols, toys, rings, bracelets etc. so if I try to offload them I get about 5 dwarfbucks per master-crafted piece of junk.

I'd just like to make trading more challenging, or otherwise make rock junk value-free. If trading is impossible to adjust down, are rock goods?

I'm completely new to modding, so any suggestions are welcome.

I'm also planning to use the no-clothing for goblins mod, and increase the growing time/limit the seasons for all plant types... anything to slow the food+wealth explosion I'm experiencing in games at the moment.

Thanks,

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Making trading less profitable
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 09:41:10 am »

Couldn't find any reference to this, but is there any way to make it so that anything not explicitly asked for by traders is bought for about 10% of the normal price?

So, for instance, they asked for instruments last year so my pile of rock instruments sells for 120-150% or whatever, as usual. They did not ask for rock goblets, idols, toys, rings, bracelets etc. so if I try to offload them I get about 5 dwarfbucks per master-crafted piece of junk.

I'd just like to make trading more challenging, or otherwise make rock junk value-free. If trading is impossible to adjust down, are rock goods?

I'm completely new to modding, so any suggestions are welcome.

I'm also planning to use the no-clothing for goblins mod, and increase the growing time/limit the seasons for all plant types... anything to slow the food+wealth explosion I'm experiencing in games at the moment.

Thanks,

Essentially, no. Caravans are mostly hardcoded at the moment.

You *could* change it so noone brings caravans, only pack animals. This would make them bring significantly less trade goods. just remove [COMMON_DOMESTIC_PULL] from the relevant entity entries.

Other than that, be self-limiting. Embark in places so cold caravans freeze to death, can't reach you etc.

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 09:41:47 am »

Just don't try to trade with prepared food. This is totally broken.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Benkyo

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 05:36:51 pm »

OK, next question: Is there any way to tag all the common rocks with a value of less than one?

How about reducing the value of prepared food while I'm at it (I've never tried trading it before)

Is it possible, perhaps, to prevent rock crafts being made with the majority of rock types?

It's not so much that I want to limit what people bring - I find that in inhospitable environments the caravans are very important to success - I just want to make it more difficult to buy everything they have with rock junk.

TettyNullus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 06:33:21 pm »

Minimum value's 1 as far as I know. And you could add a slow learner tag to make them skill up less ( less value in craft over long run ) and I believe there're an mod that turns all rocks into economic rocks, so you could be selective on what to use. If you've never traded prepared food, then why start?  ;D ( I believe that it's summed up value of the food plus cook skill )

Jurph

• Bay Watcher
  • Minister of Belt-fed Weaponry
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 07:00:23 pm »

Prepared food takes up to four stacks of ingredients, gives each one (Ingredient Value * Ingredient Prep Quality), then adds (10*Meal Prep Quality), and sums the value of all four ingredients before multiplying by the combined stack sizes of all four ingredients.  A single piece of dragon meat, masterfully sliced (50 * 2 * 12 = 1200) plus 25 no-quality quarry bush leaves (5 dorfbucks each), prepared at no quality mod (plus 10), gives a stack of 26 with each item worth 1215 for a grand total of 31,590.  Because one ingredient is masterfully-prepared, the meal stack gets marked with the masterwork tag, too!

Now imagine you're at a wedding reception and someone brings around little hors d'ouevres of perfectly-sliced, perfectly-cooked filet of Kobe beef on top of sloppily hand-ripped leaves of generic iceberg lettuce.  Is that really a $500 bite of food?  I think not. ::)

Doesn't stop me from running a Dwarven Drive-Thru, though.
Dreambrother has my original hammer-shaped Great Hall.  Towerweak has taken the idea to the next level.