Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Author Topic: Race problem  (Read 581 times)

Luraien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Race problem
« on: April 11, 2009, 09:01:01 am »

I've noticed if you mod the game so you can play as other races, you don't get certain professions and possible embark items. Elves don't get picks or axes which makes it impossible to make a fortress and goblins can't get seeds to farm, so they've no choice but to hunt. Is there a way to change this?

Also, how would I make Dwarves attack my goblins quite frequently?

Cheers

Deon

• Bay Watcher
  • 💀 💀 💀 💀 💀
    • View Profile
Re: Race problem
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2009, 09:25:43 am »

[PERMITTED_JOB:MINER] and other [PERMITTED_JOB:***] give the race the ability to use the listed profession. So if you want all prof. avaliable just copy them from dwarves to your entity.

About picks, you should make sure that your entity can make such items. [DIGGER:ITEM_WEAPON_PICK] gives them a pick (just look at dwarves). Also note that elves can't work metal because they lack metal tags (METAL_PREF or MINOR_METAL) but their WOOD_PREF allows them to generate wooden items, however you can't normally craft wooden weapons/armor without weird tricks.
▬(ஜ۩۞۩ஜ)▬
✫ DF Wanderer ✫ - the adventure mode crafting and tweaks
✫ Cartographer's Lounge ✫ - a custom worldgen repository

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2009, 09:29:09 am »

I've noticed if you mod the game so you can play as other races, you don't get certain professions and possible embark items. Elves don't get picks or axes which makes it impossible to make a fortress and goblins can't get seeds to farm, so they've no choice but to hunt. Is there a way to change this?

Also, how would I make Dwarves attack my goblins quite frequently?

Cheers

Look up modding on the dwarf fortress wiki for a general guide + a list of entity tokens, if you are confused by the above post. http://www.dwarffortresswiki.net/index.php/Main_Page

You can make any race more aggressive by removing [CAN_SPEAK] from it's creature entry. This will make them permanently at war with all other races. The bad news is that this requires a world regen: the good news is that you can put [CAN_SPEAK] back in after worldgen and they will still be at war with everyone.

Luraien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2009, 09:34:34 am »

Thanks, this makes sense ;D Just one thing - The only things which have [CAN_SPEAK] are random enemies, but is there a way for Dwarves to seige and ambush more often? I don't think they have a [CAN_SPEAK] tag on them already.

Blakmane

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2009, 09:42:33 am »

Thanks, this makes sense ;D Just one thing - The only things which have [CAN_SPEAK] are random enemies, but is there a way for Dwarves to seige and ambush more often? I don't think they have a [CAN_SPEAK] tag on them already.

They have [INTELLIGENT], which counts as [CAN_SPEAK], [CAN_LEARN] and [CAN_CIV] all together. Simply remove [INTELLIGENT] and replace with learn and civ. Look to the kobold creature entry to see what I mean.

Luraien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2009, 11:24:52 am »

I think that worked :D I'm just stuck with goblin farmers now. They're able to farm but can't select seeds at the start on the embark screen. Is there a way to make this possible?

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2009, 11:33:03 am »

Try adding [OUTDOOR_FARMING] or [INDOOR_FARMING].
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Luraien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2009, 11:50:19 am »

That did the trick. Thanks ;D